IGNORED

New Autechre EP - L Event

kiya

since most in here adamantly disagree with me that Exai is not a very strong record, can I get some agreement that perhaps a 4 track EP shows that they might possibly put tracks of a higher level of technical intricacy on it? I can't remember the last time they released something with so little material on it besides Gantz Graf, which arguably was among their last works to be filled to the brim with clinical sound design and micro edits.

I think the EP will be better than the LP and it will be like a trimmed down version of what they did with Move of Ten vs Oversteps

It will sound rawer like outtakes they couldn't fully flesh out for Exai because they were too beastly, and better than anything on Exai

since most in here adamantly disagree with me that Exai is not a very strong record, can I get some agreement that perhaps a 4 track EP shows that they might possibly put tracks of a higher level of technical intricacy on it? I can't remember the last time they released something with so little material on it besides Gantz Graf, which arguably was among their last works to be filled to the brim with clinical sound design and micro edits.

Are you be saing that Draft n Untilted were not filled to the brim with clinical sound design and micro edits?

U wana spanking?

I'm more peeved at his disliking exai.

okay, there is something slightly unlikeable about exai, some cheese factor that really hampers my enjoyment of cloudline, for example

but it's still a beast of an album, and the sound design is so lush. It's groovy. It's like saying you don't like a friendly puppy.

I'd be happy if the ep were something in the vein of 6852. Or just something totally insane, like remixes of known(1).

Are you be saing that Draft n Untilted were not filled to the brim with clinical sound design and micro edits?

U wana spanking?

draft really is the last one imo, Untilted was filled to the bring with micro programming midi stuff, but the sound design and 'editing' (if it can really even be called that, i guess the digital splice factor) seemed lacking compared to Draft or Gantz Graf. It wasn't like it was inferior necessarily, but beyond being just simply 'different' it was overtly more minimal and skeletal than before which would make it inherently less complex

Edited by John Ehrlichman

U wana spanking?

draft really is the last one imo, Untilted was filled to the bring with micro programming midi stuff, but the sound design and 'editing' (if it can really even be called that, i guess the digital splice factor) seemed lacking compared to Draft or Gantz Graf. It wasn't like it was inferior necessarily, but beyond being just simply 'different' it was overtly more minimal and skeletal than before which would make it inherently less complex

Yeah I would agree about the non rhythmic elements in Untilted not having as much depth and broadness, but it was still really lush sound design wise in a lot of tracks, like Augmatic Disport. But yeah it's different, and I like the depth that the sounds on Confield or Draft had. So much room in all of the 'space'.

And Exai's a great album and all but it just doesn't hold enough depth to have the same replay value as the ones mentioned above.

Hoping the EP is different.

Edited by DorkingtonPugsly

i guess i'm just not one of these people that is 'tired' of being technically blown away by IDM-ish music made by the heroes I looked up to for so long, not just autechre but Aphex and Squarepusher as well. I understand that we aren't in an era where the goal is 'who can produce the most intricate high BPM drill pattern', but i still miss what I'm referring to

Guest pixelives

I'd argue that the 90's first wave of IDM was linked to a general positivity and potential within computing, the burgeoning internet and technology in general. We know know that this was somewhat false and that things have not panned out the way we projected them. Things have moved towards a more simplicity of form, but with a more organic vibe and IMO wider sound palette. Now that computing has become a kind of elephant in the room of potential bad things this reaction of simplicity and a more organic nature seems like the reaction for artists to take on.

I'd reckon that we entering a second wave of "IDM" that is very different from the first, but takes in all these factors I mentioned and also prioritizes home listening over club music or less focus on beats (again a reaction to the EDM explosion).

Lots of things come to mind that may be a part of this trend. 0PN, Holden, new era Ae, all this low fi "outsider house," Huerco S, L.I.E.S, etc, etc... and others that are not coming to mind.. Analord might be the proto position of this.

Edited by pixelives

Guest pixelives

I know that for me personally, that basically I spend a large portion of the day sitting in from of a screen for work (and even socializing) the last thing I want to do is be doing the same when making music. Hence a return to hardware, which is more immediate and also a more rigid and simple way of working.

i guess i'm just not one of these people that is 'tired' of being technically blown away by IDM-ish music made by the heroes I looked up to for so long, not just autechre but Aphex and Squarepusher as well. I understand that we aren't in an era where the goal is 'who can produce the most intricate high BPM drill pattern', but i still miss what I'm referring to

Exai IS really intricate though in my opinion. It seemed like a return to rhythmic detail after the jamminess of Quaristice and the melody focused approach of Oversteps. Could it be more of an aesthetic thing that you're describing? The thick heaving molasses of Exai is a different kind of detail, less of the sharp/precise micro edits but instead with insane layerings of morphing complexities.

Guest pixelives

Exai IS really intricate though in my opinion. It seemed like a return to rhythmic detail after the jamminess of Quaristice and the melody focused approach of Oversteps. Could it be more of an aesthetic thing that you're describing? The thick heaving molasses of Exai is a different kind of detail, less of the sharp/precise micro edits but instead with insane layerings of morphing complexities.

I agree here. All that micro cold stuff almost sounds dated and retro at this point. Exai is massively detailed just not in your face and dry. That morphing stuff is what makes it and you could listen for years and not catch it all. This seems like a progression to me.

Guest Rulohead32

http://ge.tt/70Z4ePt/v/0 can someone identify this is fake or not. Found on russian social network. No evidence this being them but elektron bass is pretty autechrish.

sounds legit to me

Tracktime connects too with that "promo CD" owner claim.

I heard L-Event is cheaper in Andorra

i'd have to guess this ep will be slightly different than exai in that i think it will still have the groove factor but maybe a little more intricate or abstract. i think exai is the most direct and accessible thing they have done since tri repetae and i doubt they will get even more direct. although, i would welcome it.