IGNORED

New Autechre EP - L Event

kiya

They did it on Illanders a little bit. Not even sure what the effect is. The best I can describe it is some kind of ring modulation running at a frequency that makes our brain feel like it's being overdriven or distorted but its not exactly. Anybody else know what im talking about?

it almost sounds like it's being modulated with something that's almost a square wave but not quite, like a very rounded off but still squarey wave

Yeah. I thought that it is something like advanced fm techniques. Modulating carrier by audio in smart way.

They did it on Illanders a little bit. Not even sure what the effect is. The best I can describe it is some kind of ring modulation running at a frequency that makes our brain feel like it's being overdriven or distorted but its not exactly. Anybody else know what im talking about?

it almost sounds like it's being modulated with something that's almost a square wave but not quite, like a very rounded off but still squarey wave

Yeah. I thought that it is something like advanced fm techniques. Modulating carrier by audio in smart way.

It's very distinctive and that's why I think it's them.

part of me feels it's real, but I listened to Exai at really loud volumes on my studio monitors and never experienced anything as harsh or unpleasantly brittle/sharp as the snare drum sounds right now (at a loud volume) in my ears on this track. 3 minutes on is where i start to be lulled into it, could do without those jumbled breakbeat samples though. I don't know why i'm just not a fan of Ae's sampled break drum choices at all on Exai either, so again could mean this is real. They sound very brittle and oddly abrasive to me, which is odd because the breaks on Skull Snap EP are very solid and not unpleasant to my ears

Edited by John Ehrlichman

we should try and recreate/reverse engineer this bass distortion effect I think it would be fun. Listening again it sounds like the modulation depth is being automated or part of an envelope follower. I think that's what gives it the fake overdriven effect, where instead of a bass sound sounding blown out or overdriven when it reaches a certain 'peak' this sound sounds like it's emulating that peak effect with the depth of modulation of a 'soft' squarewave. It also sounds like the bassline itself is modulating some of the percussion layers. As much as I'm not immediately convinced to say 100% AE, no one else producing goes through this much trouble to do little barely perceptible tricks like this.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

usually with fakes it's the other way around innit... they sound aeish at first but after a bit of listening it's obvious fake, details stick out as being entirely non-ae sound.

this track is like an oozing overripe ae melon tho

it sounds kind of like a quaristice/untilted outtake

the sample is somewhat obvious (i think i hear a guitar) also the vox cuts sound like quaristice and boc

its good to where i could see it being legit but tbh realistically im not going to listen to it again if it isnt lol