IGNORED

Post Visual Art That You Have Always Enjoyed Or That You Have Just Discovered

Redruth

6 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

Always interested in negative reactions to art. Anything you can pinpoint that makes you think 'vapid'? Is It's not a style that I like, almost of faux naïf. It's not something I'd spend any time looking at if it was in a gallery; though it doesn't annoy me. 

_______

I don't  know. I was quite surprised as I can't remember ever having that kind of reaction to a painting before.

It was more like how I would react to some particular piece of music or band perhaps but I can't think of an example. 

Something that provokes a cross between a cringe and a  condescending sneer.  I think those paintings are a bit pathetic perhaps. Now I feel like I relly dislike the painter as a person just from looking at their work.

Hmmmm. Not really sure.

Actually, having looked at them again now as I realised after typing that reply, that couldn't really remember what the paintings looked like i think it's more a case of the subject matter. What kind of a person would even paint that shit. Kind of equivalent instagramming your latte or something?

Just really banal shit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/17/2021 at 11:26 PM, prdctvsm said:

jenna gribbon

wTLM_JennaGibbon_2.jpgnormalized.jpgnormalized.jpg

Yeah, I have to agree with Perunamuusi that this just looks like Instagram with oil paint. 

Also reminds me of an apartment of a hipster art school lesbian couple I visited sometime ago. Just missing the keytar lol.

calling the art 'just instagram but painted' or whatever seems to be dismissive. lots of great art is just slice-of-life stuff. instagram and all the aesthetics that feed into/out of it are part of modern life for many. this guy that i follow on insta does just painting of selfies sometimes: https://www.instagram.com/pdmxm/ and some of them are cool. 

embedding insta photos is probably a pain so whatever just go look if you want but anyway

Edited by auxien

5 minutes ago, auxien said:

calling the art 'just instagram but painted' or whatever seems to be dismissive. lots of great art is just slice-of-life stuff. instagram and all the aesthetics that feed into/out of it are part of modern life for many. this guy that i follow on insta does just painting of selfies sometimes: https://www.instagram.com/pdmxm/ and some of them art cool. 

embedding insta photos is probably a pain so whatever just go look if you want but anyway

I guess I might have been a bit harsh but it just looks like the most uninteresting subjects to me. It would be more interesting if they actually did some everyday things like dishes or laundry.

This is getting pretty tangential, but I heard of a guy who was doing some kind of art piece out of the background sets cam girls have. So he would wait until the girl needs to go out of the picture for something and then take a screenshot. I should ask if I could see this someplace.

Also there are the cam girls who actually paint while getting nude which is an interesting genre..

And going off even more on the tangent I recently saw an erotic massage parlor selling paintings on their window by what I assume is one of the workers. I'm really curious about the clientele who would get a handjob and a painting of flowers or something.

So anyway, Instagram style artsy posing is boring to me and so on and so on. *Zizek-sniff*

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Super excellent thread. Suffering from covid jab effects and going through this was like medicine. It actually made me feel better. Thanks art boffins ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...