IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Honestly not intending to do the whole 'feminist stance' thing but...

I've often been confronted with seemingly pure disbelief that a girl such as myself could possibly "get" the sounds you produce, like it shouldn't be in my genetic make up. Even more so because when I first got into Autechre I was instantly drawn to albums such as Chiastic Slide (as opposed to say, Amber) seems to confuse some people or assume I therefore must be seriously aspergic.

Which leads onto:

The other thing I wondered about is the unfortunate status symbol attached to how high you are - or consider yourself to be- on the Autism Spectrum, and how this correlates with your ability to cerebrally connect with music like Autechre.

This turned out to not really be a question, I guess I just wondered about your opinion.

i dunno i mean if it's affecting your life negatively then it's worth being concerned about it, otherwise anyone who gives a fuck is probably jealous

Guest jasondonervan

Public Service Announcement: First 32 pages of AAA are transcripted here for your convenience, might save a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing... I would probably be updating it faster if Sean wasn't set to TURBO-ANSWER mode :watmm: Seriously, the man is a machine for answering everyone's questions! Not that we're complaining... :cool:

Will update with further Q&A as and when possible.

Wicked! You didn't do this manually right ? I hope... :huh:

I did/am. Copy/Pasta the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

LC0W3OG.jpg

Will you do any further SOS or Future Music interviews. I guess lots of us would love to get images of your studios over the years and how they have changed. I dont need your addresses :-) Just love gear.

Do you find you make different amounts/types of music in Winter / Summer ?

yeah completely

exai is a winter album really, it came out way later than we'd hoped

How does the weather and the city influenced you guys?

Sometimes feels like living in a "big city" ( london / ny / etcs ) is kinda of a problem if you want to concentrate in your personal work since there's "noise" ( in all meanings not only sound-wise ) everywhere/all the time and seems to be harder to be immerse in your "own world".

yeah i channel the psychic energy

or something

like a funnel of brainsound

no that's worse

OH NEVER MIND

yeah completely

exai is a winter album really, it came out way later than we'd hoped

Which album in the ae catalogue would you say is a summer album?

My last question for today: You guys are not into classical music at all? Whatever era, I'm generalizing. Just curious. Because there's a whole world to offer in that department and you can believe me, the enthusiast classical listeners go crazy/insane/however:emotional while listening to their beloved pieces like other music listeners do. Because many people think its just boring, but its a similar statement like saying Ae is random sounds - utterly wrong.

Do you guys see a parallel between what you do and what classical composers or jazz musicians do? Do you like any of that stuff?

classical, same thing really, it depends on how it was recorded a lot for me. like, i like shostakovich chamber works but only when the strings sound really grey, somehow that sounds like i imagine he wanted it to. i might be way off there tbh i know so little about him really

I asked what particular Shostakovich he liked, no response

I'm still pretty amazed that you are both doing this. It's really cool of you.

Which subforum here is your favorite, BESIDES the Autechre one?

also

Is there a possibility of getting names for my Korg Polysix, Roland TR-707 and Casio Rapman ?

Pretty please ?

:emb:

Edited by J3FF3R00

Basic Channel question - got massively in to them after you mentioned them in an interview a few years back, Phylyps "Trak" remains probably remains my favourite techno track as result - thanks a million!

Would you count their output from 93/94 as a big influence? Possibly on the Anti EP?

And on the topic of minimal techno - i remember you included "Rhythm of Vision" very briefly during your Oversteps webcast - Do you still keep up with Hood's releases? (Considering he's got a pretty sprawling discography at this stage.....)

Thanks a mil for all the posting today!

not so much influence as more just perfect listening material, and stuff to get fully mashed to at house partys we did with our friends.

My last question for today: You guys are not into classical music at all? Whatever era, I'm generalizing. Just curious. Because there's a whole world to offer in that department and you can believe me, the enthusiast classical listeners go crazy/insane/however:emotional while listening to their beloved pieces like other music listeners do. Because many people think its just boring, but its a similar statement like saying Ae is random sounds - utterly wrong.

i just dunno anything about it

recc me some

Thanks for naming glitch yoda dog, it works.

There was a question a few pages back about your favourite gig - don't think it got answered? At what point in your live career did you decide to turn the lights off?

I love this clip from Glade Festival 2006, you could be in any dark club anywhere in the world... then 6 minutes in it is revealed you are in a huge psychedelic tent with lasers and weird hippy stuff everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryCI5xjbvF0

Pretty crap clip sound / videowise though, but it gives you a vague idea.

Bit of a noob question: You said you use max for most things now on oversteps and exai. Does that mean you barely work with regular audio files? Is it all synthesis or do you convert to audio and edit that way sometimes? And do ou use max as a kind of sequencer for hardware sounds or? I don't really know much about max btw ;

Guest ZombieLincoln666

Has your reliance on max/msp been exaggerated by people in the past? It seems like people tend to assume everything you do is max/msp

Will you ever play in Detroit again? please? I promise people will dance! Also what are some of your favorite Detroit techno/electro tracks?

Do you guys see a parallel between what you do and what classical composers or jazz musicians do? Do you like any of that stuff?

classical, same thing really, it depends on how it was recorded a lot for me. like, i like shostakovich chamber works but only when the strings sound really grey, somehow that sounds like i imagine he wanted it to. i might be way off there tbh i know so little about him really

like some new classical stuff, one or two john adams pieces. yeah cmon, tell us something

Edited by Rob Ae

Thanks Josef. It's alright to know only little about Dmitri Shotakovich. But of course it's also the wrong way not to go for Shosta :wink:

If we're asking about classical stuff, do either of you know/like Scriabin? I think you might like the intensity of it, the out of place phrases fighting against each other into some strange cloud.

And further back, Bach's cello suites are ridiculously good.

tbh i havent noticed a difference in productivity levels, but mbe something about seasons with types. but i reckon its so marginal it would be noticeable.

i find it easier to work in winter but i still work all the time anyway

Guest 30equals

i just dunno anything about it

recc me some

giacinto scelsi, morton feldman, ..

Has your reliance on max/msp been exaggerated by people in the past? It seems like people tend to assume everything you do is max/msp

Will you ever play in Detroit again? please? I promise people will dance! Also what are some of your favorite Detroit techno/electro tracks?

its fairly balanced , we've been through epic phases of things over the years, but max has been there since really early. so its not really an exaggeration, they just mbe don't know which tracks or whatever - like journo's who mbe don't use it, and are more likely to use as buzz words

yeah detroit, i can't imagine not ever being back there.

Edited by Rob Ae

Guest InSpectr

How need to do,in order for you to come to Russia?

whether you want to Russia?
If you have already scheduled visit , when?

I'm serious. have investors who are interested in your arrival and they ask what your requirements (fees, visa, accommodation, city)

sorry for my english.

can write to me personally.)

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY BUY OUR AE AFTER ONLY THREE POSTINGS

wait a minute,

HOW MUCH

lol

25 254