IGNORED

These hipster scarves need to stop

Rubin Farr

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife made scarves for most of my family for xmas. Probably "hipster" to some, but it wasn't ironic, they looked great and timeless imo, so I don't consider it hipster.

I wear a black/tan striped scarf when it's less than 40 outside. Had it for years. I dunno, that along with most of my attire fits my "try to look good in pragmatic, functional way" ethos.

I don't understand this American hipster hatred, they seem the most normal, nicest types of people you have over there.

Prolly cos it's a country in which many males still feel obligated to prove and display their masculinity. Kinda like Ancient Rome innit.

I'm personally not feelin' it. It's like cars tricked out with spoilers, the NFL, Marvel/DC comics and movies, etc. Overrated machismo hype bullshit really.

alright, i admit, some of these scarves are pretty fucking ridiculous.

Yeah some of them are big enough to be blankets. I prefer traditional-sized scarfs.

OK so maybe this is mean, but why are so many ugly people hipsters?

Why are many ugly people juggalos? Or emo or gothic or bronies or whatever? To feel accepted, and to feel part of a larger group. Or as a defense mechanism, maybe? (just guessing - I don't know what being ugly feels like)

Ha, are those things still considered hipster? Aren't they just mainstream now?

Hipster scarfs nowadays are presumably scarfs they've knitted themselves, or been made by a remote nunnery, or made out of quinoa and hemp or something.

Hipster scarves cut holes in themselves.

it's 2014 pick a new word

My mom collectively and politely lumps together hipsters, scenesters, indie, emo, twee fans, granola hippies, yuppies, activist types, etc as "coffee shop kids" because she won't be bothered with labels or trends.

it's 2014 pick a new word

My mom collectively and politely lumps together hipsters, scenesters, indie, emo, twee fans, granola hippies, yuppies, activist types, etc as "coffee shop kids" because she won't be bothered with labels or trends.

how about "Starbucks Sluts"

and yes, I had a scarf today, but it's from Old Navy because I'm old! Lol

OK so maybe this is mean, but why are so many ugly people hipsters?

Why are many ugly people juggalos? Or emo or gothic or bronies or whatever? To feel accepted, and to feel part of a larger group. Or as a defense mechanism, maybe? (just guessing - I don't know what being ugly feels like)

Feels shit, fuck you.

I observe quite the contrary, there is (was) a certain cult of pretty looking people in hipster circles. Pretty to be on celluloid vintage photos. At the same time it often means some type of asexual look, because sexy outfit is considered vulgar and tasteless and all these kids naturally have trouble with ass'n'titties. I wouldn't compare it with goths and alikes where "ugly" teens find escape. The "subculture" boundaries shifted heavily though, i see 6-foot 9 negro all muscles muthafuckers from NBA in fake glasses and other hipster attributes.

I dunno how you can be angry about a scarf.

Pretty much this.

I don't wear them cause I feel a bit constricted with one around my neck. But if others want to - go right ahead.

this seems more relegated to the yupster not so much the generalized 'hipster'. Alot of dot-com employee yupsters in SF. They are basically hipsters who got there late to the party and now get overcharged by the business and organizations who already felt like the regular hipsters had a field day at too low of a cost. The hipsters are the ones who clean out thrift stores of cool shit. The Yupsters are the ones who buy hipster procured thrift store items for 5-10x marked up value at boutique 'thrift' stores. Yupsters are also very much into personal hygiene and have a much lower facial hair quotient

I have no problems with ghutras, I still have one from my days in the Middle East, although they're thin and don't provide shit for warmth.

that depends on the fabric, and the way you wear it. I've got a heavy one that I layer so it provides warmth.

Archived