IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Drahken

This is pretty cool. One thing keeps nagging at me though. Why would the seller lower his price only to watch the record be resold shortly after for a potentially greater amount? The timing is also pretty cool, given the whole 'secret' wu-tang album nonsense.

Vinyl ripping checklist:

1. Joyrex should [insert unsolicited advice here.] It would be an incredible oversight not to [summarize unsolicited advice.]
  2. The stylus should be [insert audiophile perfectionist claptrap here.]
  3. The turntable should be placed on [insert absurd anti-vibrational requirements here that involve thick granite slaps suspended on pools of mercury.] Anything less will be intolerable.
  4. The DAC should be [insert price inflated glorified consumer electronic brand here.] It should be used in an underground cavern to reduce effects of cosmic rays.

hah hah hah, those cosmic rays'll do it everytime.

Vinyl ripping checklist:

1. Joyrex should [insert unsolicited advice here.] It would be an incredible oversight not to [summarize unsolicited advice.]
  3. The turntable should be placed on [insert absurd anti-vibrational requirements here that involve thick granite slaps suspended on pools of mercury.] Anything less will be intolerable.
  4. The DAC should be [insert price inflated glorified consumer electronic brand here.] It should be used in an underground cavern to reduce effects of cosmic rays.

is anyone even considering nulls?

Vinyl ripping checklist:

is anyone even considering nulls?

here's the thing about nulls....

they're elusive

Oh my god what if he uses a consumer stylus that's chock full of nulls! Even worse, what if the room he rips it in has nulls! I just sweated 7 beads of blood thinking about nulls.

Edit:lulz@stepheng

Edited by A/D

Guest ilikepeas

Ok so yes I joined the forum because I read about this on Pitchform / FACT.

Does sound really exciting though. More than happy to pay £10 for a FLAC copy and I have to say that I do appreciate the charity aspect as well.

someone mentioned pbthal, and his rips are pretty amazing, and he prob would do it, but i could see a definite fear of sending this record to anyone, let alone someone outside 'the community'. tbh i think as long as it sounds 'pretty good', that's great. and i think as long as the person doing it takes some care, and has decent equipment, its going to sound pretty good.

Kickstarter is Approved! Now to decide the lauch date!

By the way, here's Google Analytics for the past 9 days:

attachicon.gifAudience Overview Google Analytics 0401-0409.png

Fuck man! You said probz until the weekend!

This is moving quickly!

Quicker the better, want to capitalize on the hype, some part of me thinks that we might not even get 600 if we muck around.

are you gonna buy the gear for ripping the vinyl then?

fucking awesome!

lads, we've found our vinyl ripper!

lol, i'll contribute to furthering this thought in a jocular way.

He is a new user though, how can we vouch (no offence man but this is the first thing that should come to mind), how on earth would you trust someone that just registered with this disc. It would be an insanely stupid decision from a security standpoint. Especially when their first posts were roundabout geared towards them being sent the unreleased thing.

If it was at all unclear, I am not suggesting that I do this rip myself or that I am trusted with absolutely anything. All I am saying is that some of the Kickstarter funds could go towards ensuring a proper setup rather than some loose change returned to each backer.

It seems like me calling the Arkiv a DJ cart was incorrect, but doing a bit of research into it shows that it uses a heavy tracking force (designed for broadcast/archival, so minimizing chance of tracking error), which wouldn't be very kind to the purchaser of the vinyl record. A better cartridge wouldn't wear the vinyl nearly as much upon one play and would probably sound much better.

Not that anyone is asking, and not that I'm necessarily offering, but I could see myself fronting $175 for a JICO SAS stylus to be shipped to the ripper (or investing in some other way) if there was a partial return on my investment.

Just because I recently registered for a WATMM account doesn't mean I'm new to this stuff.

Guest Papillon

So without reading through 15 pages can we pay for this yet? I spend $16 without even thinking on terrible things like hoses, and gasoline, burgers, tools etc. so for me this is a no-brainer.

Oh my god what if he uses a consumer stylus that's chock full of nulls! Even worse, what if the room he rips it in has nulls! I just sweated 7 beads of blood thinking about nulls.

Edit:lulz@stepheng

A/D I laugh everytime I see your profile picture, it's funyn. funyn funny Good times on this forum!

Edited by Papillon

Fuck man! You said probz until the weekend!

This is moving quickly!

Quicker the better, want to capitalize on the hype, some part of me thinks that we might not even get 600 if we muck around.

we have 250 votes for yes over at the other thread...

but you're right about the hype, I'm not sure I can endure another Tomorrow's Harvest hype case-scenario.

Guest Frankie5fingers

can you just launch it now and take all my money please. i think we've all waited long enough as is.