IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

i'm leaking this all over the internet the first minute i grab it, this bullshit is just infuriating and it's not how you release music in 2014.

it's just some old outtakes or something ffs, just put it on bandcamp for 5$ you cheap cunt.

+ $8 option for it on poorly duplicated cassette tape

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry that $15.50 is too much money for some people. If you can't afford it just stay away from this thread instead of pouring your bitter-shit-hate all over it.

I'm not rich but I don't mind spending $15.50 on some oldschool unreleased goodies.

Edit: not you Joshuatx

Edited by StephenG

I will gladly pay $15.50 for it because I made good choices in life and it's not my whole budget for a week. *sips scotch, snorts illuminati fluoride*

I will gladly pay $15.50 for it because I made good choices in life and it's not my whole budget for a week. *sips scotch, snorts illuminati fluoride*

flol

I didn't mean it like that..probably

Want to say this about the original post:

The Caustic Window LP is a legendary unreleased test pressing (only 5 known to exist)

Mike P said there are actually about +10 copies out there. A mate of him owns one too.

haha

What's funny? Me offering a hand if it's needed, the expectation of a suitable ripping chain for a job like this, my standards for what a suitable chain would be, or something else?

I'd like your opinion on why you think the equipment mentioned isn't adequate...

Well, I think we should definitely use a better cartridge. Every component in the audio chain matters, and if the first element in it isn't top notch or properly tracking the groove, then we won't get a proper digital representation of what's been pressed to the vinyl. Compare an amateur lossless vinyl rip of Music Has The Right To Children to a lossless cd rip. Watch a spectrogram if it helps. There are lots of minute details and characteristics of the synths that are lost when inadequate equipment is used. Yes, this LP is in a very different style, and the little details of one sound aren't going to be as noticeable as it would be if it were a Boards of Canada release. I'd like to think that this one-time opportunity is executed with proper care given to accurately reproduce what is pressed in the vinyl. I'd like to hear the fine details of the way the synthesizers sound.
The suggested audio interface is certainly adequate as well, but what about the phono preamp stage? Or is the plan to account for the RIAA equalisation curve digitally? I think many would agree that a proper physical preamp sounds better than digital equalisation.
The turntable and interface are great, but a top-notch cartridge and stylus are essential if we're being serious about capturing an image of this audio with proper clarity. A good preamp is also important, but not nearly as much so as the cartridge and stylus.
I vote against using a DJ cartridge. I would personally say that the money intended to reimburse the 500 kickstarter backers a bit should be used to fund a quality cartridge and stylus if one isn't available. A JICO SAS stylus would track this thing a lot better than the Ortofon Arkiv.

Is the Arkiv a DJ stylus? I thought digitizing records is exactly what it was designed for?

I'm not a huge audiophile or anything, but considering we have ZOMG ONE CHANCE TO GET IT RIGHT (seriously… we're selling the record after we rip it, right?) then yeah, let's get the best gear on it we can.

are you gonna buy the gear for ripping the vinyl then?

fucking awesome!

lads, we've found our vinyl ripper!

lol, i'll contribute to furthering this thought in a jocular way.

He is a new user though, how can we vouch (no offence man but this is the first thing that should come to mind), how on earth would you trust someone that just registered with this disc. It would be an insanely stupid decision from a security standpoint. Especially when their first posts were roundabout geared towards them being sent the unreleased thing.

Guest Melissa

Bore off, bored of these publicity stunts now! Actually makes me sad more than anything.

Edited by Melissa

do you have a sense of humour delet?

i edited my post to make my dry sense of humour more obvious to a scotsman. I mean if it's being ripped by someone that rephlex are sending it to, that would suggest that perhaps it's going to a good place already. And so all our discussion around the matter of ripping it is speculative fun.

Who is a well known 'audiophile' on here that lives near whoever it's being sent to (it's going to Joyrex right ?)

i thought it was going to someone near rephlex, which would be england.

i edited my post to make my dry sense of humour more obvious to a scotsman. I mean if it's being ripped by someone that rephlex are sending it to, that would suggest that perhaps it's going to a good place already. And so all our discussion around the matter of ripping it is speculative fun.

"interests: ignoring collateral damage"

I agree with those that say GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

There's two areas where there should be no cheap ass skimping in this process, that's the shipping and the ripping. Just like it would be completely insane to not spend a little extra money on insured and registered shipping, some money should be reserved for hiring a professional mastering engineer - who already owns and knows the proper equipment - to do the digitalization.

i thought it was going to someone near rephlex, which would be england.

*Cautiously puts self forward but anticipates the pressure would probably kill me*

(plus don't think my setup is good enough (Projct Debut w/Ortofon OM20 -> Cambridge 651P preamp -> Focusrite Saffire 8i6), main bottleneck being the stylus )

"interests: ignoring collateral damage"

I just didn't want to upset anyone today, at least not unnecessarily or intentionally. I'm sorry that i am currently misaligned with my stated intrests, i'll try and get back on track tomorrow.

Who is a well known 'audiophile' on here that lives near whoever it's being sent to (it's going to Joyrex right ?)

erm, if he's still in the city I'm thinking of...

maybe...

swishahouse.jpg

or

Jandek_on_Corwood--Follow_Y.jpg

Vinyl ripping checklist:

1. Joyrex should [insert unsolicited advice here.] It would be an incredible oversight not to [summarize unsolicited advice.]
  2. The stylus should be [insert audiophile perfectionist claptrap here.]
  3. The turntable should be placed on [insert absurd anti-vibrational requirements here that involve thick granite slaps suspended on pools of mercury.] Anything less will be intolerable.
  4. The DAC should be [insert price inflated glorified consumer electronic brand here.] It should be used in an underground cavern to reduce effects of cosmic rays.

just throwing a potential idea out there

Bandcamp allows 'private' releases that the public can't access without a direct private URL

and with this you can setup download-codes through bandcamp, every person who contributes on kickstarter could be given a code. I think bandcamp charges a bit of money for every batch of 300 free download codes, something like $5 per batch.

That might be an option... right now we're trying to best calculate the bandwidth costs to deliver this - Bandcamp might be a possible solution.

Haven't posted in a while. Just came to say that this whole arrangement seems odd and totally wrong

Sure, it's great that we'll finally get to hear something (kind of) new, from one of my favorite artists but the situation doesn't reflect well on Rephlex/RDJ at all

I appreciate all the effort Joyrex has put into this and the enthusiasm that you guys have for it is infectious but taking a step back from my fanboyism for a minute, the idea that some opportunist is going to bag £5000 out of it and a record label are too lazy to release their own music and feel it's OK for fans to go through such a convoluted, expensive and awkward process to hear something is silly.

Well, this is just how it worked out - it's giving everyone involved a chance to legitmately own this release, in the best possible quality - had I not gone forward with this (or Grant and co. said no to the idea), the seller most likely would have either never sold it, sold it and the buyer never leak it, or leak it in less-than-adequate quality and everyone still wishing for a better listen. Richard/Grant are not being lazy - they had no intention of ever releasing this album, so I think it's better than never being able to hear it and it exist as some holy grail.

who the fuck doesn't play an unreleased afx album??

Someone who probably heard the tracks already and was given the test pressing as a gift...?

Awesome move to go to an unlimited Kickstarter participation. Still have a question though. Other than the seller telling me via e-mail that they are "sold", still no official word on what happened AB5 and M.O.M. Do you have any information Joyrex ? Thanks

I haven't inquired about the ABB5 or MfM. I was not aware they were "sold". Perhaps that's phase two of this? :emotawesomepm9:

Mike P said in chatmm that probably around 10 exist, or something like that.

I saw that, wonder how many were simply trashed. Odd thought but surely some are absolutely lost forever.

I wonder why he'd say only 4 existed to begin with then - I would think with a test pressing, a run of 5 (with two vinyl slabs) would come out to 10 total pieces, which I understand is typical for test pressings. I could be wrong, though. I highly doubt they were "trashed" - most likely Grant/Rephlex has them, similar to how they gave out a few ABB5 test pressings to people whose Analord binder order got messed up.

I couldn't see if file formats have been discussed particularly deeply, but I wish to express my strong desire for a set of FLAC files to be made available.

Most likely FLAC to save on bandwidth - I was thinking WAV, but it would increase the overall size of the download.

i'm leaking this all over the internet the first minute i grab it, this bullshit is just infuriating and it's not how you release music in 2014.

it's just some old outtakes or something ffs, just put it on bandcamp for 5$ you cheap cunt.

I hope you're joking - I literally was ready to ban you until I decided to give you benefit of the doubt. It would be a shame if your Kickstarter pledge was somehow "lost" and you didn't get a download voucher... :emotawesomepm9:

Lol, it would be nice to see some kind of chart of the user count in WATMM over the last couple years. TH -> AAA -> this.

index.png - this was over the last 7 days, mind you.