IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Honestly I don't care that much about Syro now that I know Rephlex is supossedly going down. Very dissapointed. Im going to be in a sad mood while listening to the album. I've been following the label for 15 years, lots of hidden gems on there, some of the weirdest shit next to some of the cheesiest shit next to some of the highest quality shit, plus the up and coming new signups: Wisp, JK, EOD, Dave Monolith, Steinvord... the former two just started with killer releases. I guess we'll never see the digital Steinvord release now... I can't find music like that anywhere else. I wish Richard gave a big "fuck you" to the industry and released his new album on Rephlex, even if it meant less exposure. His name is powerful enough now that he would still generate tons of profits. It would help lots of unknown people on there as well since as a result they would check out the label catalogue more than if he continues putting out the major stuff in Warp, which has a lot of crappy artists and the rest are stablished already. They wanted Drukqs on Rephlex after all. Would've loved to see his masterpiece being released on Rephlex which is a much more real and intimate label than Warp. I guess Richard has to sell himself off a bit to gain bigger exposure, he has kids to feed now I guess...

well said mate. Although I am still very excited about syro. When you look back on rephlex's catalog there is music on unbelievable scope and quality- they never chased what the "hip" thing was at the time, like jamie lidell (lol) or that shitty hiphop group on skam, they just released what they thought was good - leo anibaldi next to freakwincey next to dmx krew. and they also created a stepping stone for artists to move on to grander pastures - µ-ziq, leila, vibert, and of course squarepusher. incredibly impressive and I will cherish (almost) all of their music for a long time (lektrogirl I could do without)

But Dr Lopez, Jamie Lidell's first thing for warp was muddlin gear, and that shit was crazy. He pushed his sound to more department store friendly areas after he arrived, I don't think you can say that's a thing warp actively sought out. It's more like money fell into their lap from the sky and they didn't complain, because money is pretty cool.

Edited by taphead

Guest beringelab

I feel bad for having downloaded albums of the Rephlex label.

I'm buying syro (Wav 24bit and japonese cd), drukqs, AP colundi 6, MU 1 & 2, boom blaster.

Guest Lysergist

Grant Wilson-Claridge : "rephlex is no longer trading, we're doing other things"

Edited by Lysergist

is it just me or when he's talking about Rephlex on the ITW it smells a bit bitter and anger ?

here is what he said

"Is that what Rephlex - defunct since October last year - the muffler has done that collective band?

"It will not have helped, no. However, there was more. I felt bad about it. Anything that is not a
standard release, is a fucking headache. When I ask something on Warp, there is a whole team
behind and everything is calculated correctly. When Rephlex I asked [bosom friend and companion]
Grant [Wilson-Claridge]. Grant, we'll collect 12 inches in a band? And yes, we just did. The Fuck it.
Do not hesitate, do it! Every time I opened my mouth, it was two weeks of work for him. I have to
watch it. With Warp is different. During our last meeting, they told me, you can do what you want,
you can make it as crazy as you want, we calculate it simply by the retail price. I believe they last a
deluxe edition with Brian Eno did that cost 200 pounds. As far as I would not want to go, but I
would not mind to do something special that's worked out. To perfection As long as it says in the
sleeve how much everything costs, so that people know that you are not 200 pounds for a piece of
plastic, but paying for a quality product. "KOEN Poolman "

rip rephlex, totally mental label really. The Philosophy Of Sound And Machine should have got the attention of AI series but i feel like they all won out. Serious back catalogue and as mentioned they stuck to what they believed instead of chasing the coins. respect and love

sad though, im guessing its because of afx possibly no longer wanting to back it financially. Sad because warp will take their sweet old time to get music out with their big schedule and method of promotions, but yeah itll reach more people ultimately

Guest Abstract Daddy

Grant Wilson-Claridge : "rephlex is no longer trading, we're doing other things"

there's hope !

Could mean that they'll be more rephlex parties and such.

there's hope !

If you should believe any of the interviews, you could assume that he's finally back in the schoolbanks. He updated his fb with adding a College of Arts to his educations starting from 2014 or something.

2011 marks 20 years of Rephlex...

Nice you noticed, cheers… It’s been a 20-year gap year before uni while I work out what to do there! Achieved all the original objectives plus a few more by now.

http://www.spannered.org/music/1721/

I finished school, and I was waiting to go to university (you have about a year in England that you can take out) and I started Rephlex just for a laugh for that year. 23 years later I’m still here so, yeah, I’ve still got to go to university but… (he laughs)

http://www.improvearts.net/planet-rephlex/

Also from those interviews you can conclude he was working towards an end, sort of.

But regrets — have you had a few?

No I don’t regret anything. Things could have been done better but they could have been done worse too. A lot of Rephlex action depends on other people too. 20 years so far is a good run and our catalog is among the best, for just one label, in my opinion.

Ironically in that Improvearts interview he also asks why Aphex should still release anything, because he'd done everything already. Now Rephlex quits, partly because of that reason, and now Aphex releases again...

rip rephlex, totally mental label really. The Philosophy Of Sound And Machine should have got the attention of AI series but i feel like they all won out. Serious back catalogue and as mentioned they stuck to what they believed instead of chasing the coins. respect and love

sad though, im guessing its because of afx possibly no longer wanting to back it financially. Sad because warp will take their sweet old time to get music out with their big schedule and method of promotions, but yeah itll reach more people ultimately

true, but Warp's budget means that the packaging can be nice, there are enough copies to go around, etc. Sure, it's mostly about the music, but I thought Rephlex's packaging was a bit of a letdown, personally. I mean, shit, look at the Steinvord label art.. Verdana, really?

that produk 29 video is also from a "fake" aphex accounts

remember brain tregaskin and tuss myspace thing? was it most top level imminent technological shit? no it wasn't.

was it richard taking a piss about himself and his fans trying to emulate his work? yes it was

why is it so hard for you to understand that he actually can write bad tracks on purpose and just play with us, he is a regular mortal men, he's not always producing ultra hits for idm kidz. He writes simple and goofy tracks too and always did! It's just this time you need listen more carefully, cause it's not that obvious and you need to dig deeper. +there were hints in interviews

I honestly starting to think that you guys are just deaf...or its a big conspiracy and you already know everything and just no one talks about it cause it's super fucking secret))) anyway Im dazed & confused

Guest jasondonervan

that produk 29 video is also from a "fake" aphex accounts

remember brain tregaskin and tuss myspace thing? was it most top level imminent technological shit? no it wasn't.

was it richard taking a piss about himself and his fans trying to emulate his work? yes it was

why is it so hard for you to understand that he actually can write bad tracks on purpose and just play with us, he is a regular mortal men, he's not always producing ultra hits for idm kidz. He writes simple and goofy tracks too and always did! It's just this time you need listen more carefully, cause it's not that obvious and you need to dig deeper. +there were hints in interviews

I honestly starting to think that you guys are just deaf...or its a big conspiracy and you already know everything and just no one talks about it cause it's super fucking secret))) anyway Im dazed & confused

:rtfm:

Guest jasondonervan

I like the Yen price on the import version for Japan (AKA US or EU domestic release), nods nicely back to the early Aphex Warp era :cool:

iG4IlUX85dA9D.jpg

(also lel at the product page including the translation-jumbled press release, bet there's a few heads being scratched over in Japan)

Edited by jasondonervan

btw he haven't actually said Tuss was him, right? Because if we read interview, he only says bout his last record was released in rephlex, and the thing with [tuss] is just interviewer ideas on what was actually released, like [grant wilson claridge] later in text. it's like translator's edit in books, you got idea. thx to organka

btw he haven't actually said Tuss was him, right? Because if we read interview, he only says bout his last record was released in rephlex, and the thing with [tuss] is just interviewer ideas on what was actually released, like [grant wilson claridge] later in text. it's like translator's edit in books, you got idea. thx to organka

read the rules

Guest BunnyRabbit

Is it time for a sample or teaser from Syro??? :emotawesomepm9:

Probably next week I would think. Seems about right.

I want a flipping promo 12" - remember those?

Is it time for a sample or teaser from Syro??? :emotawesomepm9:

Probably next week I would think. Seems about right.

I want a flipping promo 12" - remember those?

Yea, I'm pretty old.