IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Has anyone noticed that syro is not on youtube? I think the only way to stream it is on spotify. I wonder why that is because lots of people discover new music on youtube

heh. Worse yet, there are so many fakes on youtube that if someone were recommended a track off Syro and weren't familiar with mr Phex then it could leave a bad impression. Or a good one, depending on the fake.

Has anyone noticed that syro is not on youtube? I think the only way to stream it is on spotify. I wonder why that is because lots of people discover new music on youtube

heh. Worse yet, there are so many fakes on youtube that if someone were recommended a track off Syro and weren't familiar with mr Phex then it could leave a bad impression. Or a good one, depending on the fake.

Yeah that's the downside, especially when 95% of the fakes are awful. I wonder how Warp have managed to keep it pulled for such a long time.

Yeah that's the downside, especially when 95% of the fakes are awful. I wonder how Warp have managed to keep it pulled for such a long time.

Probably the same way those live tracks were unmasked to be syro tracks. Youtube recognizes the songs and tells you that they are copyrighted

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all of those live versions still online?

From my experience of uploading copyrighted content onto YouTube (not that it's an activity I regularly partake in), it seems they basically just give a little slap on the wrist and keep the video up. Just look how many of this year's albums have made it onto YouTube and are still available to watch right now.

Warp are definitely doing a little extra something to ensure Syro stays off there.

i dont care if its syro or not

i had this girlfriend, we were really close friends, wanted to have a baby and normal family, as others. My musical dreams were dissolving, i couldnt make a hit track in several years. Everything i done was an aphex copycat or simple idm/electronics of some sort. Nothing original or special, nothing that would hit the boundaries of music and set the new horizons that i wanted. I didnt want to make tracks or music thats already been somewhere, somehow. Thats lazy fuckballs to me.

I kept trying untill i realised that its pointless. You cant become supermaster even if you try. Every favorite artist just been awesome from the start and dont really changed. Look at beatles, elvis, prodigy, aphex, rhcp, edmx, limp bizkit, madonna, moby, squarepusher, cylob, eod, j.kedrecks, metallica, nirvana...they always were been that they are, yes polished that bits but it doesnt matter, theit spirit was there from the start and it didnt changed at all

its so depressing from becoming artist to....fan, that i dont even know how to describe it. im sure you all know. its like you are loosing your best part and becoming that one stupid sheep from the herd. im really ashamed of myself, in school i was best in art class, music class, history class, math, literature, astrology, litrature (i really read a lot and i still do) etc untill i started to make idms and thought to myself wut the fuck do i do later with my life? whats the point in all of this if i cant be original or better that afex?

i lost several girlfriends, even that one that i should have married and have children with. i am really fucking sad. the worst thing that could happen. happened. i acknoledge that. i acknoledge that i am a stupid moose that lost best girlfiend i could ever imagime/. Every human shall have his own path, every richard shall have his own bank, every strained shal have its own dickhead. fuck that shit/. it soesnt matter at all now, i just feel what i got to do...

I really wish others all the best and try to do their thing on my own, but....fuck that sideways

i wish you could be proud and worried cause its all about you and not me! dont die! we are with yopu! really, nerd, we are WITH YOU MUZAFUCER!!!! just fucking get over with it u dumb assfellaw

For how long have you been trying to make music?

still really liking syro. having perspective on it and knowing it now it's really spectacular. personally i like the mix and mastering. i think where the mixing seems counter-intuitive it is deliberate and purposeful, nicely declining to fall into convention and succeeding in weaving an interesting thing. the mastering varies across many of the songs, but in those where the compression is more pronounced i think again it's deliberate and puroseful. whereas the tuss was 3d like toy story syro is 3d like avatar, or a real jungle. pushing some surfaces to the forefront brings out the texture and luster in a way i've not heard in any other music, but a sense of space is actually retained, though with so much going on the space is best presented on very good speakers. in summation i think he's pioneered a new awesome sound on syro which people will proceed to emulate and then look back on as revolutionary.

Edited by very honest

still really liking syro. having perspective on it and knowing it now it's really spectacular. personally i like the mix and mastering. i think where the mixing seems counter-intuitive it is deliberate and purposeful, nicely declining to fall into convention and succeeding in weaving an interesting thing. the mastering varies across many of the songs, but in those where the compression is more pronounced i think again it's deliberate and puroseful. whereas the tuss was 3d like toy story syro is 3d like avatar, or a real jungle. pushing some surfaces to the front brings out the texture and luster in a way i've not heard in any other music, but a sense of space is actually retained, though with so much going on the space is best presented on very good speakers. in summation i think he's pioneered a new awesome sound on syro which people will proceed to emulate and then look back on as revolutionary.

I agree with many of your points. I love the album, especially the sound design aspect of it. With Aphex, I think that EVERYTHING is deliberate and purposeful, especially when others think it's not. As if Aphex was too stupid to understand compression vs. overcompression, come on!

still really liking syro. having perspective on it and knowing it now it's really spectacular. personally i like the mix and mastering. i think where the mixing seems counter-intuitive it is deliberate and purposeful, nicely declining to fall into convention and succeeding in weaving an interesting thing. the mastering varies across many of the songs, but in those where the compression is more pronounced i think again it's deliberate and puroseful. whereas the tuss was 3d like toy story syro is 3d like avatar, or a real jungle. pushing some surfaces to the forefront brings out the texture and luster in a way i've not heard in any other music, but a sense of space is actually retained, though with so much going on the space is best presented on very good speakers. in summation i think he's pioneered a new awesome sound on syro which people will proceed to emulate and then look back on as revolutionary.

Syro's sound-design is so boring. A Yamaha demo occasionally featuring youtube's most uninspiring modular-synth wankers.

Guest LoveRhino

Four months on and I can still happily listen to this entire album start to finish over and over. It's a masterpiece. I have not listened to as much constant Richarf since first getting into his stuff in the late 90s. I still have not heard it enough. I even dipped back into the CW LP a couple of weeks ba k and still love that too. It was one of the best things about 2014 for me.

Guest transmisiones ferox

I've been craving this album a lot lately, which is new for me, but I'm really starting to love this album as a whole. Even though I agree with the production being a bit stale / bleak? I think this was more intentional then I might've believed at first. I think the challenge for him was to make it a positive album instead of going the easy way and make it a dark album. Like Richard said in the Noyzelab interview:

mankind needs as much positive/trippy/awakening/next level non dark thought provoking vibes as possible right now, we are living in a mega dark spiritual age and its 2easy to channel that into our music but I think we have to try really hard to drag ourselves out of it and dream up new mind expanding music & art, thats definitely not boring nu age yawnsville.

For me, he completely delivered with that, there's no darkness at all on Syro imo. It really turned out to be an incredible mature and rich lush Rich sounds. Now the only thing missing is this track...

http://youtu.be/4cNdH-EZYUM?t=5m55s

bob_marley_positive_day-8447.png

Four months on and I can still happily listen to this entire album start to finish over and over. It's a masterpiece. I have not listened to as much constant Richarf since first getting into his stuff in the late 90s. I still have not heard it enough. I even dipped back into the CW LP a couple of weeks ba k and still love that too. It was one of the best things about 2014 for me.

this!

Guest LoveRhino

My 22 month old son (also a fan of Deerhoof) has taken to requesting Syro by name in the car followed by "I love Aphex Twin". He is not, however, a fan of the Analord series.

Guest WNS000

My 22 month old son (also a fan of Deerhoof) has taken to requesting Syro by name in the car followed by "I love Aphex Twin". He is not, however, a fan of the Analord series.

Make sure he isn't autistic (god forbid).

This might belong on its own 'silly' thread but do you think its possible that people on the autism spectrum have a better chance at liking Aphex? I'm actually curious. I keep seeing autism and aspergers being brought up here and I'm not that educated on the matter.

Guest WNS000

This might belong on its own 'silly' thread but do you think its possible that people on the autism spectrum have a better chance at liking Aphex? I'm actually curious. I keep seeing autism and aspergers being brought up here and I'm not that educated on the matter.

To my knowledge, autistic people are generally known to be often extremely talented in a very narrow field of things. AFX is beyond concious (!), rational comprehension for most of the listeners on this planet because it is too complicated and sophisticated. So, I suppose it is logical to say that a musically talented autistist would have easier time listening to AFX and alikes.

There would be also a chance that such an autist would be perfectly able to instantly memorize a whole set of complicated tracks in one listening. Some of them might even instantly replay them on a musical instrument... you never know with autists.

However, it is also perfectly possible for autists to absolutely despite AFX music, because there would be some tiny, somehow imprefect details that a normal human would not ever think of. They might hate a certain frequency or something similar to completely ruin their experience. Or they might relate two distant musical events as a context and it would not fit...whatever.

I am just speculating.

A lot of RDJ tracks aren't 'beyond conscious, rational comprehension for most people'.

Most people just don't give the music a chance. They either listen with crappy headphones/speakers and miss a lot of the detail, or they don't pay much attention. When this happens a lot of people just hear random noise, because that's what they except to hear and they don't listen out for anything else.

Guest WNS000

A lot of RDJ tracks aren't 'beyond conscious, rational comprehension for most people'.

Most people just don't give the music a chance. They either listen with crappy headphones/speakers and miss a lot of the detail, or they don't pay much attention. When this happens a lot of people just hear random noise, because that's what they except to hear and they don't listen out for anything else.

In my opinion, most of the people need a lot of listening experience to consciously comprehend complicated music. Many people can say they like something but that does not mean they understand it. An autist could instantly completely understand all compositional logics in a complicated track - time and pitch context. That is what I am talking about. One thing is getting things emotionally (that you dig something) and different thing is to understand it logically, musically that you can really describe what is going on, that you can really figure it out in a same way as composers do. I need a lot of listening with complicated music to really understand it and memorize it so it becomes second nature to me. Dunno about your experience though, might be different.

Experiencing stuff creates maps in a brain that most people needs to slowly develop their understanding of music. Those maps then make something like a big container of different musical bits - a palette of colours that can be recalled at any time a track uses them so you recognize the colours in a track and understand it. The more you listen, the easier it gets - you just recall known bits - experience.

Edited by Jev

Guest WNS000

And you are absolutely right that many of RDJ tracks are easy listening. They might be alien sounding, though and that often puts inexperienced listeners off. As Ae said in some interview "moments of discomfort" or something like that. Many people hate to leave their comfort zone while listening to music and because of it they become stuck.

Many people hate to leave their comfort zone while listening to music and because of it they become stuck.

Is that similar to constantly walking around during a concert to find the best listening spot?