IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Has any one of his albums been anywhere near this straightforward and direct? No, not at all. There's a wide variation of track styles and tempos and often genre-hopping. Syro just doesn't do any of that really (other than the previously-mentioned tracks), and I'm just realizing that's maybe one reason I'm not really impressed with Syro as a whole.

I actually think this has more to do with the fact that he has a lot of material he can release now, so he can be picky and choosey about what stuff goes on which album. When he's done releasing this whole slew of material he has lined up It'll feel like one massive Aphex album or something... or like Analord... or something.

the album is for the most part very same-y in it's progression and tone. This isn't bad, in fact it's normally a quality I'd hope for from most artists; but from Aphex, I think it works against him.

Don't get me wrong, it's got a lot of great tracks. But as an Aphex album, it doesn't grab me and force my attention, at least in the ways his other proper albums have. Guess he's in a different place now. Looking forward to the Acoustic EP :)

this is exactly how I feel

Edited by beerwolf

I listened to this through again yesterday, and it occurred to me that maybe I've not fallen in love with it is that it's perhaps a little too good.

Hear me out: I don't think it's perfect (aisatsana and 180db_ are out of place/a bit weak) but it's a little too even and level. As in, the tracks are a bit too produced and perfected, the album is for the most part very same-y in it's progression and tone. This isn't bad, in fact it's normally a quality I'd hope for from most artists; but from Aphex, I think it works against him.

Has any one of his albums been anywhere near this straightforward and direct? No, not at all. There's a wide variation of track styles and tempos and often genre-hopping. Syro just doesn't do any of that really (other than the previously-mentioned tracks), and I'm just realizing that's maybe one reason I'm not really impressed with Syro as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, it's got a lot of great tracks. But as an Aphex album, it doesn't grab me and force my attention, at least in the ways his other proper albums have. Guess he's in a different place now. Looking forward to the Acoustic EP :)

Good post.

Has any one of his albums been anywhere near this straightforward and direct? No, not at all.

I would argue Surfing on Sine Waves is his other "even" album. I feel like there are lots of parallels between SYRO and SOSW. Both are very melodic and atmospheric with a consistent tone, throughout the album. Both have a strong ambient influence but still are dancy as anything.

They also both have a "traveling" feeling, from start to finish.

I think that, although I see where you are coming from, I really like the fact that this album is a bit more focused.

It's really impressive to me that he can compile a solid selection of great music from a large pile of scattered tracks and the whole thing sounds like they all belong together.

Granted, there literally isn't a single release of his that I don't like. To me, every one is incredible, in its own rite.

I actually think this has more to do with the fact that he has a lot of material he can release now, so he can be picky and choosey about what stuff goes on which album.

Meh, I don't think there's been much of his career that he's been short on tracks. Even if most of that mess he talks about having TONS of unreleased music is false, he certainly had more tonally-similar music to put out; he just chose not to. And that's fine, nothing wrong with his choices then or now (of course, it's his music...). I just don't see much to the argument of 'well that's all he had lying around.'

Has any one of his albums been anywhere near this straightforward and direct? No, not at all.

I would argue Surfing on Sine Waves is his other "even" album. I feel like there are lots of parallels between SYRO and SOSW. Both are very melodic and atmospheric with a consistent tone, throughout the album. Both have a strong ambient influence but still are dancy as anything.

They also both have a "traveling" feeling, from start to finish.

I think that, although I see where you are coming from, I really like the fact that this album is a bit more focused.

It's really impressive to me that he can compile a solid selection of great music from a large pile of scattered tracks and the whole thing sounds like they all belong together.

Granted, there literally isn't a single release of his that I don't like. To me, every one is incredible, in its own rite.

I almost considered mentioning SOSW, but it's not a true Aphex Twin album of course. I'd hazard a guess (I'm not sure if he's said it somewhere in interviews, I don't read them all) that it's so same-y because it's meant to be a distinct sound, a separate little thing that's specifically not Aphex Twin. But I'm of course speculating a bit here. Not to mention that SOSW isn't near as straightforward as Syro is, imo of course. My post was just being nit-picky really, because that's what forums are for isn't it? :rtfm::aphexsign::catface:

drums everything in papat4, huge fan

Meh, I don't think there's been much of his career that he's been short on tracks. Even if most of that mess he talks about having TONS of unreleased music is false, he certainly had more tonally-similar music to put out; he just chose not to. And that's fine, nothing wrong with his choices then or now (of course, it's his music...). I just don't see much to the argument of 'well that's all he had lying around.'

There's a difference between what you have 'lying around' and what you think is good enough to release. Not to mention what you'd release and how you'd release it in the year 2015.

I bet even Aphex still makes plenty of 'meh' tracks. If there really was a consistently huge well of releasable tracks back then it should have showin his albums, and we'd have consistently good albums with 0 filler. Instead there were plenty of filler tracks in Druqks and Analord as an example. But I dunno, it could be the case that he is a magician who has 5 Syros of stuff to choose from. I conjecture that he doesn't plan on giving us everything that's good, but that we're going to have (hopefully) a fairly large percentage of what's good by the time he's done releasing music this time around.

7 years is a long time to store up good material, so I imagine he has enough to make them thematic if he chooses. And it feel that that's what he's doing. And that's all I'm really saying he's doing. I'm betting that each album will be more experimental seeing as it makes sense to release the accessible stuff first then the more experimental stuff as you go on.

But uh... Any speculation is really null and void since we don't have access to his computer. HE MIGHT HAVE the huge well of tracks that could be released, and we're getting a small percentage of the good stuff. Dunnnnnno. I doubt it though.

Guest LoveRhino

there literally isn't a single release of his that I don't like. To me, every one is incredible, in its own rite.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't feel Syro is samey at all, just more consistent than, say, Classics (which is a compilation). I like the diversity of ICBYD but I still see it as an album. I think there is a ferocious world of difference throughout Syro that defines and separates each track though they gel as a whole.

The track that always gets me back to Syro is Circlont14. The ending is superb and I love the whole downtempo vibe of it. I'm surprised it never gets as much love as the other circlont.

Minipops and xmaseve will always be good tracks to put on in bg, great introductory afx tracks overall.

Bit annoyed I forked out for the vinyl release of this to be fair, ive only listened to it twice. Feel pretty meh about the whole thing.

Had the same feeling but mainly due to the shipping cost and how late I got it. Every once in a while I'll throw on XMAS Eve and give it my full attention (on vinyl). I just OD'd on the album while I'm at work (office job) to the point listening to it entirely on vinyl sounds a bit tedious.

Random note: Last week I finally bought SAW1 on vinyl. WOW. The natural warmth of that album plus vinyl warmth made me realize my old MP3's were doing it no justice. Best record purchase I've ever made.

If I had released Syro:

1.Xmaseve as opening! And Warp let the world have that track!

2.Minipops would have been fade in.

3. 4bit!!!

4. Japanese Bonus track

5. Produk 29

Then put the rest of the tracks in the regular ordning but place 180db as a bonus track.

Yeah and put another cover on it.. That Accustic Cover had been fit better nicely.. Like here you have Syro you cunts!:D

OfC ;)

You make music for your own sake not anyone else. Richard do his music in his way, and I respect him for that.

Syro is a good Aphex stylish album and I love it!

Bit annoyed I forked out for the vinyl release of this to be fair, ive only listened to it twice. Feel pretty meh about the whole thing.

ha, mine is still sealed. I've heard a friend's copy though.

after copious listening sessions and plenty of time to let it sink in SYRO has become my favourite RDJ Album, head to head with SAW 85-92 and ICBYD.TBH I couldn't really name a favourite one since I love most his stuff, but SYRO is just so.... complete. The brilliant production, the melodies, the variety of sounds and emotions, just the whole package. It's like he's thrown all his previous work and skills in the blender and out came SYRO.

It really feels like he's grown up and just enjoys who he is, a musician comfortable in his own skin.Especially the emotions on SYRO, it's like someone wrote: IDM has learned some emotions. I'd agree, the machines have learned to feel.

great stuff.

Sorry to highjack a thread...but Marble Index (and the bonus stuff on the re-release in particular), Desertshore, and The End are divine/otherworldly. There's nothing quite like them