IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even since the shedload of RDJ material we've had since Syro, MARCHROM is still the most recent track right?

We don't know the timeline. It's quite possible, since Richard said that one was recent, but that's the only one we have a timeline for relative to the Syro album proper.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even since the shedload of RDJ material we've had since Syro, MARCHROM is still the most recent track right?

We don't know the timeline. It's quite possible, since Richard said that one was recent, but that's the only one we have a timeline for relative to the Syro album proper.

You could deduct a little bit from when they were first played live - one track from the new EP has been played during the Metz gig in 2010, together with Xmasevet10. Another one or two were played in Wroclaw in 2011.

180db is the oldest one, being played in the Snowbombing set in 2005. Minipops was first played in 2007, just like 4 bit. PAPAT4 was first played live in 2011 (afaik) and Aisatsana in 2012 at the Barbican. The other Syro tracks are the most recent, with Marchrom taking the cake. Maybe a track from the new EP or one of the Noyzelab tracks that could be more recent, but I'm definitely not sure! Am I missing something?

If someone, with monitors, skills and free time could remaster syro, in a style of 90s era, compressed/disstored, louder, delayed, flanged as fuck, including sound of used chewed tape, all this stuff, it would be fun! :emotawesomepm9:

watmm edishn

I appreciate this even more after the soudcloud dump. Knowing he is still using gear to make his music and how amazing that is.. is finally hitting me. The soundcloud dump (while fucking great) sounds like child's play after you put on Syro again. Puts a lot in context.

I appreciate this even more after the soudcloud dump. Knowing he is still using gear to make his music and how amazing that is.. is finally hitting me. The soundcloud dump (while fucking great) sounds like child's play after you put on Syro again. Puts a lot in context.

i wouldnt compare syro with soundcloud dump. Yes, syro is biger, clever, more detailed and all that, but old stuff is more...emotional and natural, some say "it has soul", how funny it wouldnt sound. Syro is so cold, mathematical and technical at times...but at no means it's boring. Each of em (syro/dump) makes you appreciate them very differently. It's like comparing beatles to hendrix. As an musician, i respect syro very fucking much, its an absolute masterpiece, what he's doing with analoge gear is beyound words. But as a human, i prefer his old stuff.

i wouldnt compare syro with soundcloud dump. Yes, syro is biger, clever, more detailed and all that, but old stuff is more...emotional and natural, some say "it has soul", how funny it wouldnt sound. Syro is so cold, mathematical and technical at times...but at no means it's boring. Each of em (syro/dump) makes you appreciate them very differently. It's like comparing beatles to hendrix. As an musician, i respect syro very fucking much, its an absolute masterpiece, what he's doing with analoge gear is beyound words. But as a human, i prefer his old stuff.

Syro is cold, mathematical, clever, less emotional, less natural, has less soul than these 20 +/- years old recordings that were made when he was between 14-18? Poor Richard, he has not evolved one bit in 20 years! :) He should have stuck to his old formulas...

i think what's great about aphex twin's music (Syro included) is that while it's so technically impressive, you can still 'feel' the human touch in the music, it's like a homemade quality.. does the earth portal track sound cold to you? do you not get a chuckle out of the goofy bass breakdown in the shrymoming mix? the hi-hat goofin? come on. do you not get a sense of joy out of papat4? Are you not entertained?

Syro is cold, mathematical, clever, less emotional, less natural, has less soul than these 20 +/- years old recordings that were made when he was between 14-18? Poor Richard, he has not evolved one bit in 20 years! :) He should have stuck to his old formulas...

Wow. To each his own but I think Syro is incredibly warm most of the time. Complex yes but xmas eve cold? (for example) That is one of his most heart on his sleeve tunes he has put out I think. And I'm only comparing the fact gear is used here as well as his old stuff. He has clearly evolved with his production. I'll also agree the older stuff can pack a more emotional wallop but Syro definitely has a spirit of its own just not a dramatic one.. I would say a nostalgic playful one.

oh gosh, i knew it was a slippery road :biggrin:

I haven't said Syro is all cold, just at times...at little times. And only if you compare it to his old works. It's still has "more soul" than most of todays music. It's about the whole flavor. And i thought even richard acknowledged that, as he stated in last interviews. Of course i hear joy in papat4, its one of my all time favorites, i enojy and feel every second of Xmas eve etc. Maybe it's all mastering, who knows, or hes just matured so much. But he made this "plank" of emotions on purpose, so Syro will be accepted more as a pop and accesibble album that you can listen in whole family. It has no supper agressive vibes, or super goofy vibes, or really really sad and melanchonic vibes etc. It's something all people can like, something in between. While listening Syro, i cant become really angry or cry or laught my ass of. I enjoy it very differently. I totally understand why he did that, and i hope you get what Im trying to say here))

Wow. To each his own but I think Syro is incredibly warm most of the time. Complex yes but xmas eve cold? (for example) That is one of his most heart on his sleeve tunes he has put out I think. And I'm only comparing the fact gear is used here as well as his old stuff. He has clearly evolved with his production. I'll also agree the older stuff can pack a more emotional wallop but Syro definitely has a spirit of its own just not a dramatic one.. I would say a nostalgic playful one.

I think he was being sarcastic, clearly... lol

syro is one of the warmest records I can think of

I think he was being sarcastic, clearly... lol

syro is one of the warmest records I can think of

If he is being sarcastic I've been properly trolled.

Guest cult fiction

oh gosh, i knew it was a slippery road

I haven't said Syro is all cold, just at times...at little times. And only if you compare it to his old works. It's still has "more soul" than most of todays music. It's about the whole flavor. And i thought even richard acknowledged that, as he stated in last interviews. Of course i hear joy in papat4, its one of my all time favorites, i enojy and feel every second of Xmas eve etc. Maybe it's all mastering, who knows, or hes just matured so much. But he made this "plank" of emotions on purpose, so Syro will be accepted more as a pop and accesibble album that you can listen in whole family. It has no supper agressive vibes, or super goofy vibes, or really really sad and melanchonic vibes etc. It's something all people can like, something in between. While listening Syro, i cant become really angry or cry or laught my ass of. I enjoy it very differently. I totally understand why he did that, and i hope you get what Im trying to say here))

Xmas eve makes me cry big beautiful braindance tears inside, most emotional and personal track he's ever put out, the pinnacle of this genre cmon naw

Guest kymppinetti

oh gosh, i knew it was a slippery road :biggrin:

Well said. And when you're listening to Syro it's funny (atleast for me) that you don't have to alter it in your mind. I mean, I usually add some piece of rhythm or sounds here and there in my mind to music that I'm listening. But in syro I don't have to do that because tracks are kind a 'full'. You don't have to do it. That's why I love the album so much.

I just wish I could hear some of the alternative mixes for these tracks. The live version of Xmas Eve has some slight differences compared to the mix on Syro. Also I think people mentioned the drums on 4 bit live are completely different to the album version. He alludes to the fact that there must be different versions by including the names if the mixes

Guest Reebok or Nike

I just wish I could hear some of the alternative mixes for these tracks. The live version of Xmas Eve has some slight differences compared to the mix on Syro. Also I think people mentioned the drums on 4 bit live are completely different to the album version. He alludes to the fact that there must be different versions by including the names if the mixes

I'm gonna see him live soon, hopefully I'll get to record those alternative versions.

Exciting !! :)))