IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

The first 2 tracks are untouchable. After that I think Syro grinds to a halt, picking up a little in the latter stages (syro u473t8+e [141.98][piezoluminescence mix]) and the Japanese track helps.

As it's Aphex I'll say I might curveball on this opinion in the future. As I've done massive u-turns before. Just for me right now, being honest, I'd say I am honestly disappointed. Sorry Richard, sorry Joyrex, sorry Watmm. I just have to admit it.

I've gotta say, after the first couple weeks, I have listened to this WAY less than I'd have ever thought. Even after release, I wasn't entirely taken by it, but I definitely enjoyed it. If you'd asked me the first week or two, I'd have said that it was definitely a contender for record of the year. A couple months later, and I haven't touched it in weeks. Not sure why, but I wonder if there's many others with similar feelings.

I OD'd on it to the point I got very bored with it. But no album could withstand THAT many plays and still be completely entertaining. I didn't listen to it for 3 weeks and just yesterday put it back on with full volume and full attention. Back to loving it again.. but I have to say, not in a very "deep" way. More in a "this is fucking awesome almost every moment" kind of way. Certainly no flims, rhubarbs on this one though.

The first 2 tracks are untouchable. After that I think Syro grinds to a halt, picking up a little in the latter stages (syro u473t8+e [141.98][piezoluminescence mix]) and the Japanese track helps.

For me the album picks up after the first two tracks... but I think both of those tracks would be favorites of mine with the right arrangements. I agree most of the latter half and bonus track are very strong.

I noticed something a bit weird the other day, aisatsana is now the most popular Aphex Twin song on Spotify (Avril 14th previously).

I don't think there's many people that would say the prefer aisatsana over Avril 14th so I'm just surprised that it really jumped up like that.

I guess people mostly just listen to an artist's newest album.

1.Xmas-Eve

2.Earth Portal

3.Minipops

4.Produk

5.Piezoluminescence

6.Syrobonkus

7.4 bit

8.Shrymoming

9.Papat

10.Marchromt

11.aisatsana

12.pseudotimestretch

13.180db

Drukqs>ICBYD>Syro>Tuss>SOSW>Analord>SAWII>26mixes>RDJalbum>....

imo tbqh

1.Xmas-Eve

2.Earth Portal

3.Minipops

4.Produk

5.Piezoluminescence

6.Syrobonkus

7.4 bit

8.Shrymoming

9.Papat

10.Marchromt

11.aisatsana

12.pseudotimestretch

13.180db

Drukqs>ICBYD>Syro>Tuss>SOSW>Analord>SAWII>26mixes>RDJalbum>....

imo tbqh

iMo tbqh

(FYI, I don't dislike any of the songs)

1. Papat

2. Xmas-Eve

3. Earth Portal

4. 180db

5. 4 bit

6. Marchromt

7. aisatsana

8. Produk

9. Minipops

10. Piezoluminescence

11. Syrobonkus

12. Shrymoming

13. pseudotimestretch

SAWII>SOSW>Syro>Analord>On>SAW1>ICBYD>Tuss>Ventolin>RDJalbum>CTD>Drukqs>Classics>DonkeyRhubarb>26mixes>Mike&Rich>MFM

I noticed something a bit weird the other day, aisatsana is now the most popular Aphex Twin song on Spotify (Avril 14thpreviously).

I don't think there's many people that would say the prefer aisatsana over Avril 14th so I'm just surprised that it really jumped up like that.

I guess people mostly just listen to an artist's newest album.

I like aisatsana WAY more than Avril 14th

since aphex wanted this album accessable, ill vote produk 29 as the main player.. if i were to play a track to someone off this album and theyve never heard of aphex. id play produk

since aphex wanted this album accessable, ill vote produk 29 as the main player.. if i were to play a track to someone off this album and theyve never heard of aphex. id play produk

papat4 will do as well iguess. i love produk, but its most non-aphex track in this album i think (if not ever). like vibert and boc having a baby. if i ever heard it outside of syro i dont know if i could tell its afx

ye and thanks to someone here, i always imagine crazy frog on syrobonkus.... thanks a lot, mate! :catsuicide:

papat4 will do as well iguess. i love produk, but its most non-aphex track in this album i think (if not ever). like vibert and boc having a baby. if i ever heard it outside of syro i dont know if i could tell its afx

ye and thanks to someone here, i always imagine crazy frog on syrobonkus.... thanks a lot, mate! :catsuicide:

yeah, maybe vibert had a hand in the track. i saw his interview. It does sound viberty, but with that aphex quality and most importantly pay off in melodies and song structure to give the track real satiety

I've been craving this album a lot lately, which is new for me, but I'm really starting to love this album as a whole. Even though I agree with the production being a bit stale / bleak? I think this was more intentional then I might've believed at first. I think the challenge for him was to make it a positive album instead of going the easy way and make it a dark album. Like Richard said in the Noyzelab interview:

mankind needs as much positive/trippy/awakening/next level non dark thought provoking vibes as possible right now, we are living in a mega dark spiritual age and its 2easy to channel that into our music but I think we have to try really hard to drag ourselves out of it and dream up new mind expanding music & art, thats definitely not boring nu age yawnsville.

For me, he completely delivered with that, there's no darkness at all on Syro imo. It really turned out to be an incredible mature and rich lush Rich sounds. Now the only thing missing is this track...

http://youtu.be/4cNdH-EZYUM?t=5m55s

For me, he delivered a bunch of neo-colonialist cliches, exactly boring nu age yawnsville. If mankind (world, age and other bullshit generalisations) needs anything, it's to get rid of these idiotic pretensions, this way of dealing with problems is just a part of the problem.

I've been craving this album a lot lately, which is new for me, but I'm really starting to love this album as a whole. Even though I agree with the production being a bit stale / bleak? I think this was more intentional then I might've believed at first. I think the challenge for him was to make it a positive album instead of going the easy way and make it a dark album. Like Richard said in the Noyzelab interview:

mankind needs as much positive/trippy/awakening/next level non dark thought provoking vibes as possible right now, we are living in a mega dark spiritual age and its 2easy to channel that into our music but I think we have to try really hard to drag ourselves out of it and dream up new mind expanding music & art, thats definitely not boring nu age yawnsville.

For me, he completely delivered with that, there's no darkness at all on Syro imo. It really turned out to be an incredible mature and rich lush Rich sounds. Now the only thing missing is this track...

The short version was available on his Soundcloud you will probably remember. I hope it will be available in the next shit (if there will ever be such thing).

The short version was available on his Soundcloud you will probably remember. I hope it will be available in the next shit (if there will ever be such thing).

it wasn't the short version if i remember correctly, i think he just said he played back a break loop he made from the same sessions. That track is brilliant though, it's like aphex concocting his own spin on Pierre Bastien.

edit: it also kind of reminds me of that band Dawn of Midi

Edited by John Ehrlichman

it wasn't the short version if i remember correctly, i think he just said he played back a break loop he made from the same sessions. That track is brilliant though, it's like aphex concocting his own spin on Pierre Bastien.

edit: it also kind of reminds me of that band Dawn of Midi

Exactly, definitely got those Bastien vibes too. Still I think it works mainly because of the mix with that SAW 2 track that is playing backwards, not sure.

Checking out Dawn Of Midi now, nice one!

wow. I missed that one. Very cool sounding. It is a tad weirder than Syro. Maybe the new stuff he is referring to?

I think he confirmed that it was, yeah. Most likely his robots in action :)

:)) I'm going to try to hold off on listening to this 500 times just in case this gets a release. It took me a while to hear 'metz' 'manchester' 'singapore' 'swinging piano' properly on Syro. They all sounded a bit off to me at first because of overplaying the live recordings.