IGNORED

Has Anyone Gotten a SYRO Limited Edition Preorder "Ticket" Yet?

Joyrex

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone got some non Designers Republic pics of their set yet? Intrigued to see this in real life so to speak...

Cool, thanks for posting! Already played that extra super delicate print yet? Is it an exlusive track?

Haha, have you read the instructions paper for the print? You better don't even look at it since it might crumble... Nevermind playing it, touching it, putting a needle to the groove.

If I had it I would never be able to contain myself to put it on the turntable right away :) I hope someday someone dares to listen to it!

I wish Warp did the same with Syro as they did with the new Flying Lotus - a nice boxset for a few bucks more, just what I was hoping for. It's really such a letdown they went with this imo.

Yeah, but I bet they stand to make quite a bit more (boxset notwithstanding) off Aphex Twin than Flying Lotus...

I don't have an issue with exclusive stuff, as it's optional - there's absolutely no reason you MUST have this boxset - even if there was some way to get the bonus track from the print, chances are it probably sounds awful and your life is no more or less enriched from having heard it or not.

Or that :) although I only had the regular box. Was the limited version (a lot) more expensive at the time? I have no idea!

Not 100% sure, my memory is poop - Think it was around 40 quid. I got it a couple of years later that had a slight knock in the corner that they sold a whole load of, for about £25

Guest narkotic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the printed "track" doesn't contain grooves for a needle to track, right? It's pretty much a reverse image of "printed grooves", right?

The only way I could see playing this would be to take a high res scan of it and find software that will play it back?

Do not use your needle on paper!! It will ruin the stylus.

Anyone got some non Designers Republic pics of their set yet? Intrigued to see this in real life so to speak...

Cool, thanks for posting! Already played that extra super delicate print yet? Is it an exlusive track?

Haha, have you read the instructions paper for the print? You better don't even look at it since it might crumble... Nevermind playing it, touching it, putting a needle to the groove.

If I had it I would never be able to contain myself to put it on the turntable right away :) I hope someday someone dares to listen to it!

I wish Warp did the same with Syro as they did with the new Flying Lotus - a nice boxset for a few bucks more, just what I was hoping for. It's really such a letdown they went with this imo.

Yeah, but I bet they stand to make quite a bit more (boxset notwithstanding) off Aphex Twin than Flying Lotus...

I don't have an issue with exclusive stuff, as it's optional - there's absolutely no reason you MUST have this boxset - even if there was some way to get the bonus track from the print, chances are it probably sounds awful and your life is no more or less enriched from having heard it or not.

Agreed, well, except for that bonus track that could be potentially good, I'm definitely not bummed out I didn't get this though for reasons you mention, but a less limited- or more importantly: a more affordable set would make for a real neat collectable that wouldn't be sold for 400+ pounds on eBay or discogs. It's a choice I won't understand (other than milking fanboys), but I have enough Syro stuff around the house as it is :)

Guest DickThunder

My friend got one in the second ballot. He decided not to buy it so he gave the code to me and I bought it. Got it today morning!

Guest DickThunder

One sold on eBay says it is 17/200

He also had a picture of a sticker on the side of the box that said 17/200. My box hadn't one but the SYROBONKUS was numbered like Go West said it would be. I got 169/200.

so is the bonus track on a piece if paper or something like that? the wiki says its on perspex vinyl. but i thought james said it was on paper. i'm a little confused. he also said you could actually play it and hear it but if theyre describing it as 'debossed' then that does sound like it's inverted and i wouldn't think it would play. weird...

either way im starting to think this is kinda cool. because i'm doubting anyone has even attempted to play that thing. so theres another track and some people possess it, but still nobody has heard it (even though they spent a small fortune on it). to me that is kinda badass. i still think the limited edition is a shameless cash grab but the unplayable bonus track seems like such a cool concept in the stupidest 'idm' way possible.

Isn't the print the reverse image of what the vinyl would be. So you'd need a copy of it to play it?

The website says

• SYROBONKUS - 300 × 300mm Intaglio print from a metalwork mother plate, hand printed on 280gsm Somerset Velvet Radiant White, presented in casebound print folio.

Isn't that how all vinyl is made, as a print of a metal mother plate? If that's the case, my hope is, that it is indeed a playable track.

I've contacted Bleep to ask if is playable with a normal record player and what the rpm is.

If it's safe to play, I'll definitely give it a spin.

Anyone else tried playing his/her copy?

Isn't the print the reverse image of what the vinyl would be. So you'd need a copy of it to play it?

The website says

• SYROBONKUS - 300 × 300mm Intaglio print from a metalwork mother plate, hand printed on 280gsm Somerset Velvet Radiant White, presented in casebound print folio.
Isn't that how all vinyl is made, as a print of a metal mother plate? If that's the case, my hope is, that it is indeed a playable track.

I've contacted Bleep to ask if is playable with a normal record player and what the rpm is.

If it's safe to play, I'll definitely give it a spin.

Anyone else tried playing his/her copy?

I just mentioned this in the other thread, but records are pressed using stampers that are negatives of the mother plate. So if they made the intaglio print by putting ink in the grooves on a mother plate and then putting the paper on top, the resulting print should be like a stamper i.e. have ridges where the grooves were and you'd actually have to make your own plate again from the print before you can play it back.

Someone correct me if I'm confusing things here.

No this is being over thought. It's not a negative. It's playable. Richard came to Designers Republic with the idea of having playable cover art or whatever. That's what this is. I don't know how many times you could play it. Wouldn't an attached flexi have been much easier and cheaper, but probably not talked about as much I suppose?

I'm not convinced, every picture I can find shows that the groove spirals outwards. So (again: unless I'm missing something here) to me it looks like they really did use the metal mother directly as the intaglio plate. Unless it was cut to play inside out with no locked groove at the end, aka certain stylus death.

32RzFRs.jpg

Maybe the whole idea is what MisterE was saying, to have the track be technically out there but not playable, the same way lots of the vocals on Syro are probably recordings of meaningful words that are manipulated so that they'll never be understood with any certainty.

Guest patrykus

It can be 3d scanned and reversed by software. I really can't see the reason why it wouldn't work, unles the resolution of current 3d scanners isn't good enough but I doubt it.

The only real question is how much data those "records" contain to begin with considering the faulty pressing method used to made them.

actually converting a scan of something like this into actual sound is almost certainly going to be a lot more complex than anyone who's mentioned it here is making out to be, or thinks it is. maybe for a few people around the world with super expensive setups/labs, it might be not that much time or work, maybe. but outside of those people/labs i think you're talking about a pretty huge task (i could be wrong!). getting it to someone with the knowledge on how to do the thing, and the equipment to do it would be a lot of time and work and worry in and of itself. especially when you'd want the thing back in the same condition.

who is going to want to part with this thing that they paid so much for (not to mention paying someone even more money to do this), and have to worry about the process damaging it? it would probably take a lot of organization to find somewhere that could do it, if anywhere even can (again without damaging it). i feel like unless someone who owns one of those 200 copies is crazy enough to put a needle to it, or is obsessed/dedicated enough to try to find a way of 'scanning' it, nobody will ever hear this track.

Hello everybody,

this is my first post on this forum which I have enjoyed quite much since a few weeks.

I entered the ballot for Syro and I was lucky enough to win in the second round. I received my copy (#98) of the box-set a few days ago.

I do not intend to re-sell my copy and I'm quite surprised by the large amount of copies that are currently being reselled on eBay and Discogs; I agree that the method used by Warp to spread this particular release is questionable, to say the least.

I don't think that the Syrobonkus print is playable, I decided to try it on my SL-1200 "by hand" without punching a hole in the center and without cutting the print from square to circle. It would be a bit long to explain how I did it, so I won't annoy you with details.

Anyway, the result is that the needle simply doesn't fit the grooves, it bounces and moves freely on the surface of the cardboard... To avoid significant damages, both to the "record" and to the stylus, I only tried to play the outer and inner grooves a couple of times.

The grooves in my opinion are in relief and the damn thing can't be played at all, at least not with a turntable.

Sorry if something I wrote sounds hazy, English is not my mother tongue.

By the way, I'm very curious to learn what "the new shit" is... I guess is a common feeling around here, isn't it? :wink:

Archived