IGNORED

French mag Charlie Hebdo attacked by gunmen, 12 dead

Perezvon

Gunmen have attacked the Paris office of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, killing 12 people and injuring seven in an apparent Islamist attack.

At least two masked attackers opened fire with assault rifles in the office and exchanged shots with police in the street outside before escaping by car.

The gunmen shouted "we have avenged the Prophet Muhammad", witnesses say.

President Francois Hollande said there was no doubt it had been a terrorist attack "of exceptional barbarity".

A major police operation is under way in the Paris area to catch the killers.

The satirical weekly has courted controversy in the past with its irreverent take on news and current affairs. It was fire-bombed in November 2011 a day after it carried a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad.

The latest tweet on Charlie Hebdo's account was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

[...]

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

Although I've always hated Charlie Hebdo with my guts for their shit humor, their cowardice and their blatant absence of any finesse whatsoever, this makes me sick in my tummy. Wow. Nobody deserves this.

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read about this incident this morning. I'm not familiar with this magazine or brand of humor, but to be shot for it? Disgusting.

This world is getting so tiresome. Living outside of Detroit, I'm disgusted on a daily basis on the horrendous lack of humanity by my own metro-detroit area. Not to mention what's happening everywhere else. Tired, tired, tired of it. Everybody relax, eat more bacon & give hugs peoples.

... and France is about to get even more xenophobic :(

I don't care much about Charlie Hebdo, barely ever read it, but damn, what a shame.

Horrible news, following it as well. Satirical Dutch magazine (similar to the Onion News) made a great statement about it:

Satirical attack leaves zero people dead

A satirical attack by the magazine Charlie Hebdo led to zero killed and zero wounded. The total amount of victims from satirical attacks since the beginning of the calendar era is zero.

... and France Europe is about to get even more xenophobic :(

I don't care much about Charlie Hebdo, barely ever read it, but damn, what a shame.

Sadly, this will probably be the case. Hope they find the killers quick...

Islam needs a sense of humor ffs.

yeah, i guess the best course of action is some massive satirical campaign about islam all over europe, because it seems like a lot of its muslim immigrants are simply not getting the point of europe.

Show the actual charicature that led to this? No way. Even worse, some are actually PIXELATING the drawings

Showing a policeman get shot at point blank in the head? Sure why not!

Fucking shameful "journalism"

Is this really related to the new Houellebecq novel?

Islamists needs a sense of humor ffs.

pls
yeah was gonna say...

extremism =/= islam

two different concepts.

but this is islamic extremism, not pacifist extremism. it doesn't make sense to pretend like those are completely separate spheres.

terribly sad news, absolute cowardice and barbarism from the muslim gunmen...i hope they are found quickly and my thoughts are with the families of those killed and injured.

Show the actual charicature that led to this? No way. Even worse, some are actually PIXELATING the drawings

Is this really related to the new Houellebecq novel?

I don't think so, but it's quite an unfortunate coincidence. I suppose it's a reaction to France's international anti-terrorism policy, and to a tragically common, well-spread and scary as fuck xenophobia here in France.

FYI, one of the most recent best-selling books here in France is a xenophobic, ultra-reactionary, homophobic, misogynist... utter piece of shit.

Je sympathise avec les victimes, ils deviendront des héros nationaux, rien de moins. Aux dires de Hollande, plusieurs attaques terroristes ont été déjouées ces derniers temps. Il semblerait que Paris soit devenue la cible privilégiée de ces islamistes radicaux. Soyez prudents!

... and France is about to get even more xenophobic :(

It's important to distinguish between xenophobia and being extremely critical of religion. There is a long atheistic tradition in France and in many european countries. But more than ever, especially in regards to Islam, it has become hard to honestly and openly criticize religion because many people define it as xenophobia. In fact, "xenophobia" is a concept that is often used these days by religious people to stigmatize atheists or to discredit people who question the values of religions. The real danger is not in stupid xenophobia or elaborate atheism but in the mind of these fanatics.

MassfreeKid, I wasn't talking about Charlie Hebdo, I'm totally ok with them criticizing whatever they want. I was talking about an overall ever-growing acceptance of racism and intolerance here in France. It's quite scary and tangible, really.

pls
yeah was gonna say...

extremism =/= islam

two different concepts.

but this is islamic extremism, not pacifist extremism. it doesn't make sense to pretend like those are completely separate spheres.

You live in Israel yet you don't feel any close to zionist extremism, do you?

It does make sense. Muslims have nothing to answer for about this.

pls

yeah was gonna say...

extremism =/= islam

two different concepts.

not particular muslims but islam.

Guest trananhhung

I hear you. I was watching France 24 when the news came out and boom. A killing in cold blood right in your face. They've now edited it. Respect the dead and the families, media.

I'm in shock, really. It's terrible for France. They represent Liberty and freedom of speech. Nothing good comes out of religion indeed.

pls

yeah was gonna say...

extremism =/= islam

two different concepts.

not particular muslims but islam.

I haven't read the Quran but I'm not sure islamists have either lol

pls
yeah was gonna say...

extremism =/= islam

two different concepts.

In the seventies, nobody distinguished. It was state of the art (in educated and leftist department) to massively criticize and make jokes about religion - because religion of whatever kind was considered overcome. Oh, how we loved "Titanic-Magazin" (german mag) who always made jokes about Popes etc... Today, the lefties are lawyers for islam and "religous feelings". Interesting! (But it follows a simple equation: "Islam=From Foreigners=Has to be defended").

Archived