IGNORED

The Winstons Amen Breakbeat Gesture

YangYing

arent they suing anyone using the break that gets picked up by their radar?

Who are "they"?

sorry, him. the winston dude. specter or something?

but yeah, i have heard of lawsuets

edit* richard lewis spencer

at first, he didnt know that the break had been used so much, then moneygrabbings started

There must be some kind of statute of limitations for trying to sue someone for copyright infringement that happened 30 years ago...

I'll just quote the guy to clear up a couple of things here:

The amen breakbeat, possibly the more famous breakbeat and sample of all time!

Everyone knows of it, and everyone know where it came from, so that story does not need to be told again.

However, what is little known, is that the The Winstons have never recieved a single penny for its use in the countless music that contains it.

Richard L Spencer, (Lead vocals and sax player) who wrote the arrangement was totally unaware of its cult status until around 1996. It was during that time that he was recovering from a heart attack when he recieved a phone call from a record label looking to get hold of the masters.

This surprised him, has he had not had any dealings with the music industry since 1971, which was when he left the scene to carry on with his life and work. During that time he had not received a single penny of royalties from publishing or airplay. Bare in mind that it sold over 1 million copies on the back of the A side "Color him father".

While recovering from his operation at home, he decided to research the song more and to try to find out why there was a sudden interest in it.

He quickly realised the scale of what had gone on regarding the sampling of the breakbeat, and never returned the call to the record label.

Unfortunately, by this time the statute of limitations had run out, and he was unable to sue anyone for using the beat in their music. Obviously with the amount that it had been used, it would of been logistically impossible to chase after everyone that had used it, and cost untold amounts of money in legal bills to do so.

So all he could do was sit back, be frustrated, and accept what had happened. He gave some interviews at the time, and got on with his life.

Gregory Coleman, the drummer who actually played the beat, never received any royalties from the sample either, and sadly died a broke and homeless man around 2006.

Fast forward to 2011, and the BBC/1Xtra radio station ran a feature on the cult amen breakbeat.

As part of that, DJ and presenter Kutski tracked down Richard L Spencer and recorded a short interview with him. This can be heard on the BBC 1Xtra website here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hb618

During that interview, Richard reveals his frustrations regarding people sampling his music, and that they got nothing back for it.

He would love for people to "do the right thing" and give a little something back for using the beat, and to make it legal.

This is where I came into the story, (myself a long term lover of the amen break. I grew up on electro, hiphop, rap, the UK breakbeat hardcore, jungle and drum & bass scenes) after hearing the interview that someone had posted in a Facebook jungle music group.

It got me thinking, that no one had actually taken up the task of trying to fulfill his wishes, so I immediately tasked myself with getting in contact with Richard, which I managed quite quickly. I explained my plan to try to get a donation page up and running, and have his blessings to do so.

All monies raised will be given to him, as the copyright owner of Amen brother.

So here is where all of you come in, if you have ever written or sold any music with the amen break, or even just enjoyed one of the countless hundreds and hundsreds of tunes that contain it over various genres and styles of music, please donate a $ or £ towards the good cause of the worldwide music community giving something back to the man behind the legendary breakbeat.

Please be aware, this is in no way a means to try to chase royalties, fees or to pay for sample clearance.

It is nothing more than a gesture of good will and obviously totally volentary.

Thanksyou from myself, and also on behalf of Richard.

edit: bolded the quote on the statue of limitations

i bet a kickstarter campaign to release the unheard amens into public domain would net the guy a hundred grand :)

id donate a load for that, and i dont even use it a lot

if this thing takes off it'll be a rare case of justice in the music world

arent they suing anyone using the break that gets picked up by their radar?

no they haven't recieved a dime..

I have no direct 1st hand source - and I feel crappy for suggesting it, or having it sound nasty in anyway. 'if moneygrabbings' sounded harsh. - it's what I heard online, that he was stopping or trying to stop people using it.

And I'm going to donate some too.. I've had enough enjoyment out of the break.

If you Google the topic there s people claiming to be being taken to court

He should totally sell the others on that tape if he wants some dollars

i bet a kickstarter campaign to release the unheard amens into public domain would net the guy a hundred grand :)

Yes!

Im really hoping that this is genuine and that it blows up bigtime, would be really nice to see

Yes!

the resurrection of jungle

i posted this to Arron funk ,remarc and mark ryder's fb profiles

nary an acknowledgment yet

snares is sick so giving him some space and time for mucus

yea luke should cough up 5 quid too

and also the uk jungle/drum and bass massif/mafia

seriously if everyone gave 5 bucks........too bad gc coleman himself died before this and kickstarter

Archived