IGNORED

Something cost you more than you hoped/could afford, fancy a rant?

Ifeelspace

Just bought a new video card this morning.... $1050.

Woke up this morning and turned my computer on, got the blue screen of death. So I went to flash my bios and in doing so wrecked one of my gpu slots on the mobo... I had two video cards (560ti ds) in SLI mode... figured since I busted a slot and one 560 isn't enough I'd just get a 690 .

but seriously $1050?fuck

$1050

Are you rendering Pixar's movies for them

Just bought a new video card this morning.... $1050.

Woke up this morning and turned my computer on, got the blue screen of death. So I went to flash my bios and in doing so wrecked one of my gpu slots on the mobo... I had two video cards (560ti ds) in SLI mode... figured since I busted a slot and one 560 isn't enough I'd just get a 690 .

but seriously $1050?fuck

where did you get your GTX 690 from?

the GTX Titan brought the price down of the 690, which was at $999.

I grabbed it from a store here in Calgary called memory express. It's basically a computer enthusiast store, lower prices than the chain stores (future shop, best buy etc) and the people are quite knowledgeable.

The only reason it was more expensive than msrp is because I bought 3 years unlimited product replacement on it... It's way to expensive of a card to not get the extend warranty on it!

Most manufacturers of the GTX 690 offer minimum 3 year warranty as standard...

I mean, it's kinda too late now since you've already bought the extended warranty, but I really doubt you'll be using the same graphics card in 6 years time...

anyways, welcome to the high end club, man! I got myself a GTX Titan last month

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Yeah I found out the manufacturers warranty shit when I got home, I got ripped off lol.

How do you feel about the titan vs the 690?

Thanks! Yeah I found out the manufacturers warranty shit when I got home, I got ripped off lol.

How do you feel about the titan vs the 690?

clock speeds are a bit slower (even with the overclocked version I have), but comparably it holds it's own. I wanted a single GPU card to avoid any issues with SLI compatibility (the GTX 690 is essentially two GTX 680s in 'virtual SLI' on one PCB).

Also, I can get another Titan and run in SLI if I want to in future, and that'll kick the arse off pretty much anything

dentists are waay too expensive in the US. and i was so close to being debt free. :cry:

Canadas the same! I had surgery yesterday, one extraction and one crown... $2000... =(

my rent jumped up from 1395 to 1515 a month when I renewed my lease (fuck you too, bushwick), which, combined with retroactively increased security deposit and last month rent, along with my slowly healing financial injury due to income tax payments, leaves me with negative infinity dollars

Cost of living increases are just out of control all over the country - it's bad here but I can't even imagine living in NYC or LA.

My wife and I began renting a duplex @1200 a month because our rent at our smaller apartment was about to go from 1050 to 1200. We had to borrow money (we paid it back after our monthly paycheck), convert it to a cashiers check, and pay a deposit within 48 hours before they went to the next turned in lease. Since we couldn't break our last month's lease at the apartment so we sold a car to pay for double rent that month. That said really lucked out - I looked at smaller and similar duplexes in the area and it's all hundreds more per month in the same area. I'm dreading the next rent increase though.

I'm unemployed, homeless (couch surfing), have $5 cash, negative several thousand dollars cyber capital, lived without food or hot water for a chunk of the winter, and seriously consider killing myself a few dozen times a day.

dentists are waay too expensive in the US. and i was so close to being debt free. :cry:

People here go to the phillippines for dental holidays (thailand for other stuff). Even a friend of my mother that is a nurse did it. Apparently in your neck of the woods people go to central america (or cuba) for the medical tourism thing.

Serves the local dental body for limiting the number and availability of dental places in uni, in an effort to keep local prices sky high. People are learning to fly elsewhere. Well those that can afford it can, which i guess is sadly ironic cause the poor couldn't afford either option. And autralians are getting poor quickly.

i still find it absolutely incredulous that in america, if you get seriously ill, you either find 20,000 or they just leave you to die. i mean what the fuck, that is some third world shit.,

You can see why they liked to keep the dictatorships in place around the world as that was their ideal, they admire it as the perfect state. And finally they're getting that for the US (again).

i am playing in a kraftwerk cover band in full some kind of dress up gear tommorow after 2 days practice. i also dont even like kraftwerk. , im gonna drink tequila and synth bass solo my tits off.

i just want to dress up and drink tequila while mashing my dw800

anyway, we are doing radioactivity, pocket calculator, robots, and one more tune we need to learn tommorow before we play. its all sounding pretty fuckin bangin though.

I feel you man, i need braces but they cost like 6,000 dollars, i wouldn't mind going on debt (i would rather be in debt than have fucked up teeth) but the dentists i've seen are having none of it, they want like 60 percent up front.

I usually get my cavities filled and clean up done at the free clinic, 40 dollars per visit. Its a great deal but its also playing a mid-risk russian roulette, the dentists there are either humanitarians who dont get paid a lot but do it because they like to help people or you get the guy who barely paid attention in dental school and can't get a high paying job (i got the latter two years ago, the guy was supposed to fixed a cavity, ended up breaking the tooth in half, had excruciating tooth ache for about 6 months before i got it fixed)

Four months after getting a new pair of speakers, a new amp and a new turntable, my uncle tells me he doesn't need his speakers (better than mine), his amp (better than mine) and his turntable (better than mine) and he can't be bothered selling them so I can keep them for free. If I don't end up selling the speakers and amp I'm gonna be real pissed

i owe roughly 20k for a hospitalization. probably will just end up in bankruptcy! whoohoo!

Fucking hell. What the shit. I'm so sorry and I hope you are healthier now at the very least.

being pissed off at getting given a free, high quality stereo and a turntable is the most first world case of bitching ive heard in a while.

being pissed off at getting given a free, high quality stereo and a turntable is the most first world case of bitching ive heard in a while.

Way to miss the point. I'm pissed off at having wasted a considerable amount of money I may or may not recover when I could've saved it.

Guest theSun

re: car inspection in USA - in new york state, they have a computer which talks to some computer in the capital that measures your emissions and a few other things. the computer has to say you pass or the mechanic gives you a nice piece of paper that says FAIL and you pay the $20 or so for the inspection anyways. this was a nightmare with my old saturn - the thing always thought the gas cap was leaking, but there was never anything any mechanic could find. i did spend nearly $500 one year getting the thing to pass. the check engine light was on, and it would not pass with that light on. eventually the light just turned off while i was driving it so i raced back and had them run the inspection - pass.

the thing i really want now - a fucking wood burning stove. i have some land and can cut my own wood as of last summer. the stupid thing is, if i don't end up getting a wood burning stove installed, i'll probably spend the same amount of money on propane as it would cost for the stove over the course of the winter.

Archived