IGNORED

Amon Tobin - Dark Jovian (2x12")

Hugh Mughnus

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

his music has always been more jazz/dnb/jungle driven.

You're kind of describing Luke Vibert's career lol. But yeah, Amon was more jazz than say, Aphex. But Squarepusher did some very jazzy, jungle, dnb tracks. I just think Amon's music was more colourful, alive and vibrant. A bit on the exotic side. But to separate Amon in terms of jazz, dnd, jungle from Luke, Aphex and Squarepusher... They all did jazz, dnd and jungle inspired tracks in their own ways as well so I don't think it's all that clearly defined, why he wouldn't be here. But I'm fine with that, really, not complaining at all.

well I think it's in the approach as well, the way he writes his tunes. it's just different from Ae/AFX/SQP/BoC. I can't explain it very well but it's in the music, if you compare.

well I think it's in the approach as well, the way he writes his tunes. it's just different from Ae/AFX/SQP/BoC. I can't explain it very well but it's in the music, if you compare.

No worries, I've been obsessively comparing these artists for quite a long time. :) I agree with you, he is unique in the lot you mention, but who ever said that IDM was only to be defined by these artists? Also, Amon hasn't been composing jazzy themes since what... 1998? Supermodified is when for me he moved away from jazz as we know it. Don't want to argue with you, just a long-time Amon fan and I don't think he can be easily pigeonholed.

I might be wrong but I always thought Amon Tobin came more from a DJ background (by this I'm talking about this approach of sampling other's music as a basis for making tunes). Bricolage and Permutation were quite a lot about that and they are, in my opinion, Amon Tobin's best works. When he started to involve more of other sound sources types, I personally find some of the charm went away. The Watmm featured artists you're talking about worked all a lot more with synthesizers and rhythm boxes (etc...), which makes their approach on composition being different. To put it simply I guess they are more comfortable with creating tunes "from scratch". But I've a lot of respect for Amon Tobin and I always keep looking forward to what he releases.

I might be wrong but I always thought Amon Tobin came more from a DJ background (by this I'm talking about this approach of sampling other's music as a basis for making tunes). Bricolage and Permutation were quite a lot about that and they are, in my opinion, Amon Tobin's best works. When he started to involve more of other sound sources types, I personally find some of the charm went away. The Watmm featured artists you're talking about worked all a lot more with synthesizers and rhythm boxes (etc...), which makes their approach on composition being different. To put it simply I guess they are more comfortable with creating tunes "from scratch". But I've a lot of respect for Amon Tobin and I always keep looking forward to what he releases.

I think you've summed it up quite nicely.

I wish Amon would go back to some Amonry (heh) and use more organic sounds and samples like he used to. Even though I liked Isam and Foley Room, like you've said some of the charm is gone.

out from out where was incredible and kind of peaked the sound he was developing up until that point. foley room was kind of meh for me and Isam I found to be extremely boring. hoping for a return to form. big jazzy breaks would be very welcome.

^ I loved almost everything he's ever released up to ISAM. Foley Room took a bit of time but there are some amazing tunes on there. The Killer's Vanilla is mah favrit.

yeah, you've got it. this is what I was trying to express. a fundamentally different compositional approach.

ISAM was very, very "medical"... only term I can think to use. Precision, scientific, but lacking in feeling.

lol I used the term "medical" in chatmm once and Noise/EOD... ah.. anyways.

Yeah I hope he gets back to some organic noises and samples...

I think the word you're looking for is either "sterile" or "clinical", either way I completely agree with the sentiment on ISAM. Up to then his career arc had been pretty awesome - some brill chopping & fusing of jazz breaks, DnB, and hiphop on the early albums (which still stand up today), bringing in more Morricone & soundtrack elements while carving a distinctive sound in Supermodifed & Out Where, to then retain & refine the sound further (only this time with live / field recording material) on Axel Foley Room. Here's hoping he'll find a way to return to form whilst still keeping in fffresh.

I read somewhere that he was a bit upset being asked to return to his jazzy stuff, also that it wasn't going to happen :cerious:

I'm up for more ISAM stuff, as long as he gets better at writing with it.

• 4 months later...
Guest vibertisgod

I read somewhere that he was a bit upset being asked to return to his jazzy stuff, also that it wasn't going to happen :cerious:

I'm up for more ISAM stuff, as long as he gets better at writing with it.

Haha, ^this^

Definitely interested, hope he managed to clear visa issues and get admitted to UK this time for live show

Oh sweet, I was beginning to wonder whatever happened to the news on this announcement... curious where this one will go.

is this RSD a single or is he dropping an LP?

He has been working on an LP for quite some time. I read elsewhere at the beginning of last year that it was supposed to be released in 2014. Obviously that hasn't happened....

I imagine it's going to be that LP though, or at the very least, a single off the upcoming LP.

That does sound nice.... I wish it was the lp though. =(

Need more tobin in my life.

Edit: any idea how to get your hands on a copy? I'm new to this RSD stuff

Archived