IGNORED

Help Venetian Snares

Guest cult fiction

I don't much enjoy Funk's tunes. He's undoubtedly talented, and I've heard bits and pieces that were interesting and unique (I've seen some really cool bits posted to his Instagram), but just never a single track that kept my interest.

But the idea of someone expressing his distaste for doing a thing and then quickly doing that thing is weird. Even before the plea for help in his 'very serious' situation, the FACT interview was weird and off-putting. He's interviewing with someone from FACT while talking shit about FACT; he's hating on people talking about his music and rating it/judging it/whatever, while knowing good and well that much of his fan-base is exactly the type of people who frequent forums that discuss music, of course including his; he talks shit about 'having' to perform shows, calling it putting on a 'clown show at a some fucking club' (here he essentially belittles not only his paying fans but the club promoters, his label or whoever does his booking and such); he then is all the while interviewing to promote his new album which he expresses serious contempt for even having to release at all. To be fair, he washes it all under with a statement of 'oh I guess it's not that bad I only hate these parts of my job' and concedes that it's not that worst thing ever.

Like, I get that he's just laying out his opinions, which were asked of him. And of course he's nowhere near the first artist to have this type of stance; even RDJ has said as much if not worse things in interviews (assuming they were at least partly true). But the problem I have (I know you can't wait to hear it!) is with anyone in that sort of standoffish position being so near-sighted about how they do things, it always appears to me as childish.

It reminds me of crust-punk type fuckers, the type of people (or at least my conception of that 'type' of person, which admittedly could be entirely skewed by false impressions) who hate society and will denounce money and talk shit about businessmen, all the while sitting on a sidewalk with a hat out begging for change. Again, that example is perhaps more fiction than fact, but I'd guess we've all seen some level of that in people.

In a perhaps more realistic analog, on Monday Funk goes to his boss (his fans) and complains about how he thinks his boss is often shitty and he hates the hours he has to work and how he hates even having to work at all and how he'd leave in a heartbeat if he could, then on Tuesday goes to his boss and asks for a raise. That's essentially what's happened. To me, that's just the strangest thing, not that people do it, or that people go along with it, but that Funk himself has the balls or the blindness to do it. I guess in a 'have-to' situation, you bite the bullet and do what you've gotta do, but I just couldn't be that kind of person. He obviously can, or feels no choice and thus goes through with it.

To clarify I'm really not hating on him specifically, maybe he truly is in dire straits and a few hundred quick bucks in his pocket could get him out of a jam. And props to him for not asking for donations and actually just asking fans to purchase a product he sells; there's certainly dignity in that. I'm just mostly interested in those types of personalities when faced with such situations.

Desire and material reality are rarely congruent.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Clark didn't go online and ask for $$ when his van got jacked in Houston.

jesus christ man leave it

also cc has the backing of a much larger indie label and possibly recouped a lot of what was lost (or equivalent $$$) through insurance

In a perhaps more realistic analog, on Monday Funk goes to his boss (his fans) and complains about how he thinks his boss is often shitty and he hates the hours he has to work and how he hates even having to work at all and how he'd leave in a heartbeat if he could, then on Tuesday goes to his boss and asks for a raise. That's essentially what's happened. To me, that's just the strangest thing, not that people do it, or that people go along with it, but that Funk himself has the balls or the blindness to do it. I guess in a 'have-to' situation, you bite the bullet and do what you've gotta do, but I just couldn't be that kind of person. He obviously can, or feels no choice and thus goes through with it.

Not picking on your post specifically, just responding to the general idea, mentioned by a few, embodied in the above paragraph.

Snares is your friend. You’re reading watmm; Snares makes fucking mental-ass electric music with a pace and intensity almost unmatched. You may not even personally like his music, but the fact that this board exists, that we read it, and Snares has a giant modular and uses it to inflict terror on grannies and unsuspecting rave bros alike means that we and he are one and the same tribe. People like that are people you should help if you are able.

It might sound crazy but you are actually LUCKY to have found such a nice forum to pursue your utterly asinine interest in stupid music, and as a fan of said music, you are LUCKY, regardless of the specifics of your taste, that someone like Venetian Snares exists in the world. Against all the fucking odds in the universe!

That’s why I find the “boss” metaphor is truly painful. Only in the exact bullshit capitalist garbage universe that Snares was, in my mind, ranting against would two parties who otherwise share the same passions and struggle feel the need to joust over who was the “boss” of the other, or whose hardships are truly “valid” or not.

That’s garbage. That is not the nature of the relationship you actually have. Seriously, you guys are on an electronic music forum designed specifically for intense fucking nerdasses, and when one of the leading practitioners of the very art form you claim to treasure asks for help (not donations, by the way, simply that you consider purchasing some music today), your response is to suggest that he suck it up and sell his modular synthesizer? Do you realize how ridiculous that is?

Maybe you guys should go hang out on the fucking “responsible household budgeting” forums, I bet they’re a blast. Because this is a forum about MUSIC and how we like it and how we like artists who—again, when the entire world is out there basically fucking them over and telling them they should go to law school at night otherwise they’re gonna fucking die penniless—keep making insane shit with insane gear in the basement of their fucking houses anyway.

I wish I had the balls to stay at home and support myself making music all day. But I go to work with a REAL BOSS who is a total cunt and basically sit around listening to ‘Filth’ and being bored off my ass EVERY FUCKING DAY. However, I am “doing fine financially”. It’s… fine. Very safe choices.

Some people dare to make the less safe choices, and you should fucking check yourself before you pop into a thread and start questioning someone else’s choices when they are in trouble. Particularly when that other person, oh I dunno, has produced hours and hours of exceptional work at the highest level in their field. Jesus christ.

Not picking on your post specifically, just responding to the general idea, mentioned by a few, embodied in the above paragraph.

Snares is your friend. You’re reading watmm; Snares makes fucking mental-ass electric music with a pace and intensity almost unmatched. You may not even personally like his music, but the fact that this board exists, that we read it, and Snares has a giant modular and uses it to inflict terror on grannies and unsuspecting rave bros alike means that we and he are one and the same tribe. People like that are people you should help if you are able.

It might sound crazy but you are actually LUCKY to have found such a nice forum to pursue your utterly asinine interest in stupid music, and as a fan of said music, you are LUCKY, regardless of the specifics of your taste, that someone like Venetian Snares exists in the world. Against all the fucking odds in the universe!

That’s why I find the “boss” metaphor is truly painful. Only in the exact bullshit capitalist garbage universe that Snares was, in my mind, ranting against would two parties who otherwise share the same passions and struggle feel the need to joust over who was the “boss” of the other, or whose hardships are truly “valid” or not.

That’s garbage. That is not the nature of the relationship you actually have. Seriously, you guys are on an electronic music forum designed specifically for intense fucking nerdasses, and when one of the leading practitioners of the very art form you claim to treasure asks for help (not donations, by the way, simply that you consider purchasing some music today), your response is to suggest that he suck it up and sell his modular synthesizer? Do you realize how ridiculous that is?

Maybe you guys should go hang out on the fucking “responsible household budgeting” forums, I bet they’re a blast. Because this is a forum about MUSIC and how we like it and how we like artists who—again, when the entire world is out there basically fucking them over and telling them they should go to law school at night otherwise they’re gonna fucking die penniless—keep making insane shit with insane gear in the basement of their fucking houses anyway.

I wish I had the balls to stay at home and support myself making music all day. But I go to work with a REAL BOSS who is a total cunt and basically sit around listening to ‘Filth’ and being bored off my ass EVERY FUCKING DAY. However, I am “doing fine financially”. It’s… fine. Very safe choices.

Some people dare to make the less safe choices, and you should fucking check yourself before you pop into a thread and start questioning someone else’s choices when they are in trouble. Particularly when that other person, oh I dunno, has produced hours and hours of exceptional work at the highest level in their field. Jesus christ.

meryl-streep-jennifer-lopez-oscars-gif.g

Great post.

Any idea if stuff like DOLL DOLL DOLL will be there ? love that shit

also if you dont own printf<"shiver in eternal darkness/n">; get the fuck out

7sevens.med and SHITFUCKERS!!! are similarly brutal and punishing!

yeah a person with a truck sized modular doesn't have real financial problems. It shows how much disconnected to reality he and everybody supporting this is.

You're assuming that his income is steady and that the money he had when he invested in his music purchasing that equipment is the same - hardly the case with musicians and others who make their livings via their art.

I did always wonder how an underground musician who doesn't seem to have an outside job can afford a wall of gear and a full studio space with close to 50-60k worth of gear sits. Not speculating at all, just saying, I don't understand how some people afford their gear without separate jobs/income coming in...

I bought my 5 favorites, hope he turns out alright.

He probably saved up or bought it when he got an advance on an album, gig money, etc. - just because someone owns something expensive doesn't mean they're rich.

And when you consider he's investing in his livelyhood, wouldn't you have done the same?

surely he could write the modulars off in part on tax.

hey, he should have done his tax online in australia with all the other musicians earning over 300k a year!

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/the-australian-government-reckons-aussie-musicians-make-300k-a-year/

i think if you work shit jobs like my one and then are lucky enough to work more than the normal working week (which i don't cause they don't give me the hours) you should get taxed less per hour for the remainder. Because you could work 70 hours a week to get finally the 'average weekly income' and they would tax you at the same rate as someone that got to work 9-5 on only weekdays, have an one hour lunch break, never work public holidays and lazy arsed so on and so forth.

By the same token if an artist has had to practise their craft for years of unpaid time to finally get a hit song, they shouldn't be taxed with exclusive focus on their earnings for that year. As this maybe the only time they make any money out of their craft. It's unfair. That high earning tax bracket was created for people that year in year out have a profession or business that gives them such great sums. Perhaps though the system is created this way to discourage independent creative endeavours.

nwae, tax, grr, et cetrrrr.

YES! never heard those before

--

should rephrase my post tho, what i meant to say was - anyone knows if doll doll doll and find candace will be uploaded to the bandcamp eventually ??

YES! never heard those before

--

should rephrase my post tho, what i meant to say was - anyone knows if doll doll doll and find candace will be uploaded to the bandcamp eventually ??

I think it depends on whether the labels that formerly harboured these LPs/EPs are still in business or if Aaron's contract with them expired and the rights for the work reverted to him. In the case of Hymen that may not have happened yet, but who knows.

I don't much enjoy Funk's tunes. He's undoubtedly talented, and I've heard bits and pieces that were interesting and unique (I've seen some really cool bits posted to his Instagram), but just never a single track that kept my interest.

But the idea of someone expressing his distaste for doing a thing and then quickly doing that thing is weird. Even before the plea for help in his 'very serious' situation, the FACT interview was weird and off-putting. He's interviewing with someone from FACT while talking shit about FACT; he's hating on people talking about his music and rating it/judging it/whatever, while knowing good and well that much of his fan-base is exactly the type of people who frequent forums that discuss music, of course including his; he talks shit about 'having' to perform shows, calling it putting on a 'clown show at a some fucking club' (here he essentially belittles not only his paying fans but the club promoters, his label or whoever does his booking and such); he then is all the while interviewing to promote his new album which he expresses serious contempt for even having to release at all. To be fair, he washes it all under with a statement of 'oh I guess it's not that bad I only hate these parts of my job' and concedes that it's not that worst thing ever.

Like, I get that he's just laying out his opinions, which were asked of him. And of course he's nowhere near the first artist to have this type of stance; even RDJ has said as much if not worse things in interviews (assuming they were at least partly true). But the problem I have (I know you can't wait to hear it!) is with anyone in that sort of standoffish position being so near-sighted about how they do things, it always appears to me as childish.

It reminds me of crust-punk type fuckers, the type of people (or at least my conception of that 'type' of person, which admittedly could be entirely skewed by false impressions) who hate society and will denounce money and talk shit about businessmen, all the while sitting on a sidewalk with a hat out begging for change. Again, that example is perhaps more fiction than fact, but I'd guess we've all seen some level of that in people.

To clarify I'm really not hating on him specifically, maybe he truly is in dire straits and a few hundred quick bucks in his pocket could get him out of a jam. And props to him for not asking for donations and actually just asking fans to purchase a product he sells; there's certainly dignity in that. I'm just mostly interested in those types of personalities when faced with such situations.

Exactly my point just better explained than I could at 1am

heh, facebook doesn't let you see the page so that you can grab text unless you log in, but still shows you an opaque view of the page so i scrolled down and read through the fog to see that he linked the fact interview with a post stating that "i don't hate you ".

As i said in previous thread, i don't think his default state is dick, he's just a bit dark in the way he phrases things. nwae, glad shit is looking up.

His FB quote:

"Thanks so much everyone for supporting. I feel actually incredibly touched that you care about my well being. You're getting me on my way there and when I come out the other side of this situation, I really want to give back in a big way! Thank you! I am touched beyond words!"

https://www.facebook.com/vsnares?fref=ts

lol at this post

"support our troops where is your patriotism you traitor rah rah rah"

lol at this post

"support our troops where is your patriotism you traitor rah rah rah"

Completely off point and your analogy is... well it's complete shit.

I still love your tunes though.

Changed via conversation in chatmm.

INFOLEPSY EP IS FUCKING GREAT.

I'm moving into an apartment with a Sinaporean girl today. She's going to fucking hate me.

Singaporean. Fucking. Me.

I took out all the shite words.

Happy singaporean fuckin mr. =)

Archived