IGNORED

Help Venetian Snares

Guest cult fiction

Hey man, long time, no ascdi. Good to hear you got your job thing sorted. Even if like most workers, you are somewhat displeased by it, haha.

And for the record, I like ascdi's just one of the guys analogy and agree with it. I don't like the delivery in terms of tone though. Too absolutist. nwae.

That's fair. It was a bit over the top. Hi dleet

It endeared you to the masses though, going all in mate, even got a commendation from the rex in effect, which is a rare treat indeed.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good on him, are we sure it's a tax bill, or could he have possibly invested in the Chinese stock market? lol

I'd imagine it's a tax bill, hospital stuff for a family member, a cat needing life-saving surgery, or he needs to pay off the speed dealer moms to avoid having his balls cut off.

Either way, he seemed genuinely touched by how many people turned out so quickly to buy his albums and help out. Maybe the Canadian grinch's heart grew 3x the size it was this week and we get an acoustic/folk album about his cats!

UjZXTFx.gif

do people here who are from the US say "good on you" to sound more like they are from a British territory? to fit in to watmm? even tho JR lives in Texas, i thnk?

it's used in Canada too, I say that shit all the time irl.

I'm pretty sure it's common in australia as well. I decided against posting in Norwegian a while back.

do people here who are from the US say "good on you" to sound more like they are from a British territory? to fit in to watmm? even tho JR lives in Texas, i thnk?

Why would anyone WANT to sound more british?

:whistling:

shots fired*

shots fired*

Yea, what's that aboot, eh?

shots fired*

Im particularly fond of the British pronunciation of aluminum. But people in the US laugh every time you say schedule without the C.

shots fired*

I don't think I've ever met a canadian that sounds like the stereotypes usually portrayed in media/films etc.

No-one says aboot. Maybe someone with a speech impediment? lol

shots fired*

Im particularly fond of the British pronunciation of aluminum. But people in the US laugh every time you say schedule without the C.

aloo-mini-um =)

shots fired*

I don't think I've ever met a canadian that sounds like the stereotypes usually portrayed in media/films etc.

No-one says aboot. Maybe someone with a speech impediment? lol

shots fired*

aloo-mini-um =)

Yanks sometimes pronounce the word "twat" with an 'o' instead of the 'a', which I find weird.

Having spent time a fair amount of time in Nova Scotia I can confirm that many, many Canadians say aboot, eh?

Yanks sometimes pronounce the word "twat" with an 'o' instead of the 'a', which I find weird.

pet peeve. that's simply not how it's done.

also, "Dookaadi" (Ducati).

Lol... Nova Scotia doesn't count.

They have a completely different language lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_English

Forgive me for being a pedant but Nova Scotia isn't in Newfoundland, eh?

flol derp derp derp

I screwed that one up big time haha

whoopsie eh?

:derp::derp::derp:

In a perhaps more realistic analog, on Monday Funk goes to his boss (his fans) and complains about how he thinks his boss is often shitty and he hates the hours he has to work and how he hates even having to work at all and how he'd leave in a heartbeat if he could, then on Tuesday goes to his boss and asks for a raise. That's essentially what's happened. To me, that's just the strangest thing, not that people do it, or that people go along with it, but that Funk himself has the balls or the blindness to do it. I guess in a 'have-to' situation, you bite the bullet and do what you've gotta do, but I just couldn't be that kind of person. He obviously can, or feels no choice and thus goes through with it.

Not picking on your post specifically, just responding to the general idea, mentioned by a few, embodied in the above paragraph.

Snares is your friend. You’re reading watmm; Snares makes fucking mental-ass electric music with a pace and intensity almost unmatched. You may not even personally like his music, but the fact that this board exists, that we read it, and Snares has a giant modular and uses it to inflict terror on grannies and unsuspecting rave bros alike means that we and he are one and the same tribe. People like that are people you should help if you are able.

Okay, I can see some of what you latch on to and ultimately rail against in that paragraph, but certainly not everything.

Cool that you feel that way, but I'm generally pretty anti-tribe in life. If I help others it's because I personally know and care about their well-being, or because they are a human/living creature that is in need; I don't really have an inbetween in there for tribal mentality. Some days of the week I'm not sure I'm the same species as some of the people I meet... (calm down it's a joke. mostly.)

It might sound crazy but you are actually LUCKY to have found such a nice forum to pursue your utterly asinine interest in stupid music, and as a fan of said music, you are LUCKY, regardless of the specifics of your taste, that someone like Venetian Snares exists in the world. Against all the fucking odds in the universe!

That’s why I find the “boss” metaphor is truly painful. Only in the exact bullshit capitalist garbage universe that Snares was, in my mind, ranting against would two parties who otherwise share the same passions and struggle feel the need to joust over who was the “boss” of the other, or whose hardships are truly “valid” or not.

That’s garbage. That is not the nature of the relationship you actually have. Seriously, you guys are on an electronic music forum designed specifically for intense fucking nerdasses, and when one of the leading practitioners of the very art form you claim to treasure asks for help (not donations, by the way, simply that you consider purchasing some music today), your response is to suggest that he suck it up and sell his modular synthesizer? Do you realize how ridiculous that is?

Maybe you guys should go hang out on the fucking “responsible household budgeting” forums, I bet they’re a blast. Because this is a forum about MUSIC and how we like it and how we like artists who—again, when the entire world is out there basically fucking them over and telling them they should go to law school at night otherwise they’re gonna fucking die penniless—keep making insane shit with insane gear in the basement of their fucking houses anyway.

I wish I had the balls to stay at home and support myself making music all day. But I go to work with a REAL BOSS who is a total cunt and basically sit around listening to ‘Filth’ and being bored off my ass EVERY FUCKING DAY. However, I am “doing fine financially”. It’s… fine. Very safe choices.

Some people dare to make the less safe choices, and you should fucking check yourself before you pop into a thread and start questioning someone else’s choices when they are in trouble. Particularly when that other person, oh I dunno, has produced hours and hours of exceptional work at the highest level in their field. Jesus christ.

I do think it's totally great that VSnares exists and people are into him; really. And WATMM is pretty cool for the most part, I like it here.

Bullshit capitalist garbage is nonetheless the law of the land; more specifically, it is exactly the system in which Funk (and you and I, who both dislike our boring/safe jobs) has chosen to live his life. So no, the analogy wasn't perfect in that the fans are exactly the same as your boss at McDonald's; I didn't intend that with it at all. If anyone is his boss, it's himself and maybe his label heads (whom he has willingly signed contracts with, mind you). But at the end of the day, if his fans aren't there to funnel money to his label, or to throw money at him at concerts, or to give to him directly on Bandcamp, then his job will be fruitless and it will be downgraded to hobby status. But if you're mad at anyone for the weakness of this line of thinking, be mad at Funk for bringing up the 'job' thing in the first place in the interview (the same interview where he states that people like us aren't even capable of our own opinions about music).

Essentially this whole argument, which many have seemed to get behind wholeheartedly, is about a group mentality. WATMM is rallying behind a flag for their philosophy on matters such as this. And there's really truly nothing wrong with that; I just don't buy into it. For the most part, I'm not tribal when it comes to anything (though I could identify with the term nerdasses. It has a nice ring to it). And that's why I guess ultimately I just don't have the perspective that most of you have here. And that's cool.

Nonetheless, I personally meant no ill will to Funk or anyone who chooses to support him or whatever. I really just thought there was an interesting point of discussion in the 'shitting on fans then asking for their help' aspect of the timing and all. I hope he gets his shit sorted, honestly.

In a perhaps more realistic analog, on Monday Funk goes to his boss (his fans) and complains about how he thinks his boss is often shitty and he hates the hours he has to work and how he hates even having to work at all and how he'd leave in a heartbeat if he could, then on Tuesday goes to his boss and asks for a raise. That's essentially what's happened. To me, that's just the strangest thing, not that people do it, or that people go along with it, but that Funk himself has the balls or the blindness to do it. I guess in a 'have-to' situation, you bite the bullet and do what you've gotta do, but I just couldn't be that kind of person. He obviously can, or feels no choice and thus goes through with it.

[a bunch of yelling]

lol at this post

"support our troops where is your patriotism you traitor rah rah rah"

Actually, although your analogy is retarded, in an alternate universe you raise an interesting counterpoint. I think the difference is that I'm not on anybody's ass to give Snares money or else you are a bad person, I am only on the ass of people who think a human being doesn't have the right to ask other human beings, who are in some tangential way fellow members of a community, for help. When said person (to the best of our knowledge) actually does need help. It's okay to ask for help, and it's okay to give someone help. If as a bonus you also get kickass music files in exchange for your help, then even better.

If instead you would prefer not to help, then you can simply… not post in this thread, and continue not buying Snares music. My only point is that it is the HEIGHT OF HYPOCRISY to post on an electronic music messageboard and consume or make electronic music, and have a passion for it, and then when someone who is as they say actually LIVING THE DREAM mentions that they need some help, decide instead to pick them apart and question their choices.

I agree that it's totally okay to help out those in need, and as you said if you get cool stuff as well then awesome. I have zero issues with that.

I do have serious issue with the VAST overstatement that it's the height of hypocrisy to blah blah. I don't understand how you even came to that conclusion; literally all we do here on WATMM is pick apart the choices of others; mostly it's music, but we spend tons of time picking apart word choices in interviews and looking up photos of stranger's family members and trying to figure out which cord they stuck in which hole to get a sound in the 43rd second of the 2nd minute of track 2 on disc 2 of their 4th EP. WE PICK SHIT APART HERE AT WATMMTM so why should this glaringly obvious one two punch of 'i fucking hate releasing music,' 'oh shit please buy the music i release' be off limits to pick apart? Fuck that noise man.

Lol... Nova Scotia doesn't count.

They have a completely different language lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_English

Forgive me for being a pedant but Nova Scotia isn't in Newfoundland, eh?

flol derp derp derp

I screwed that one up big time haha

whoopsie ay?

:derp::derp::derp:

fikst ...

Archived