IGNORED

Help Venetian Snares

Guest cult fiction

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah a person with a truck sized modular doesn't have real financial problems. It shows how much disconnected to reality he and everybody supporting this is.

You're assuming that his income is steady and that the money he had when he invested in his music purchasing that equipment is the same - hardly the case with musicians and others who make their livings via their art.

I did always wonder how an underground musician who doesn't seem to have an outside job can afford a wall of gear and a full studio space with close to 50-60k worth of gear sits. Not speculating at all, just saying, I don't understand how some people afford their gear without separate jobs/income coming in...

I bought my 5 favorites, hope he turns out alright.

He probably saved up or bought it when he got an advance on an album, gig money, etc. - just because someone owns something expensive doesn't mean they're rich.

And when you consider he's investing in his livelyhood, wouldn't you have done the same?

It's really the only way to get ahead. innit. Intelligent investments into the self.

yeah a person with a truck sized modular doesn't have real financial problems. It shows how much disconnected to reality he and everybody supporting this is.

You're assuming that his income is steady and that the money he had when he invested in his music purchasing that equipment is the same - hardly the case with musicians and others who make their livings via their art.

I did always wonder how an underground musician who doesn't seem to have an outside job can afford a wall of gear and a full studio space with close to 50-60k worth of gear sits. Not speculating at all, just saying, I don't understand how some people afford their gear without separate jobs/income coming in...

He probably saved up or bought it when he got an advance on an album, gig money, etc. - just because someone owns something expensive doesn't mean they're rich.

And when you consider he's investing in his livelyhood, wouldn't you have done the same?

surely he could write the modulars off in part on tax.

also, i'm too broke for this shit, i've just moved which costs a fortune and have car servicing coming up, and then there's that whole september/october surprise meltdown thing that is supposedly going to hit the economy, i've bought stuff as it came out if it intrested me. what i said before though, bon chance.

Chris Clark didn't go online and ask for $$ when his van got jacked in Houston.

they didn't steal his wheelchair tho

serious question: why is everyone are some people being such a little bitch about an undeniably talented (whether you like his music or not is fine) electronic musician asking for money during financial hardship?

Chris Clark didn't go online and ask for $$ when his van got jacked in Houston.

they didn't steal his wheelchair tho

serious question: why is everyone are some people being such a little bitch about an undeniably talented (whether you like his music or not is fine) electronic musician asking for money during financial hardship?

You have to admit there is a certain irony in someone stating they fucking hate selling their music...before asking people to buy his music due to bad circumstances.

Of course, I love Snares and bought Winnipeg is a frozen shithole over cost to help, so whatevs. I even bought Speed Dealer Moms from Bleep so he'll probably get that 20 cents sometime next month.

Fuck knows. Some weird, negative vibes in here.

Fuck knows. Some weird, negative vibes in here.

don't read to much into it. you're not the vibe police.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised how postive this thread has been... only a couple of slightly negative posts & everyone else has been very supportive

this

its like driving by with a limousine while asking for donations.

if its a nobel cause then why not be open like everybody else asking for donations (he does not have to go all SYRO cover artwork about it)

if its a nobel cause then why not be open like everybody else asking for donations (he does not have to go all SYRO cover artwork about it)

i agree that context in a charity is 100% needed. It's not that i don't trust mr. funk, but you know.

maybe it was margin trading on the dow.

I think the vibez has been okay. Gotta expect some autistic blow-back from the curmudgeons. I think the nastiest comment is somebody saying he should sell some gear to pay his debts. So. Not that bad really, and their opinion. I don't think his opinion of this site is very high, so I doubt he'd read this or care. But he sold a shit-load of music to watmm today to people who help and have helped support him. So let's be happy about that!

FFS StepheeeyG even offered his hole(s) to him and a ride in his summer car. His winter car is only if he decides to snow-bird it up with you. Lot's of coaco and Sade being played at loud volumes - it will be sensual - and Aaron owes it to himself to take it up.

Hole(s) and all...

Very true, I just assume that the advances and gig $ aren't super high for VS. But, what the fuck do I know. I mean no offense at all, just interested. He has been at it for a while and released a ton of albums. It would just seem like a job would be needed at least when not very prolific or not touring to support paying rent, bills, buying gear, food, cats, ect. when you aren't making big-bucks off the music biz.

Also, one thing - I don't think I've ever asked for money without a reason from a group of total strangers or even friends. Not that I need a life story, and it could be complicated legally or incredibly personal, but still, to involve strangers, being in need of money due to financial straights is something I think anyone you've ever met on the internet or in real life can relate to. Doesn't mean you'd give them money without asking them why they were in the situation they were in, it's an ask for an ask situation IMO. I'm rambling

I still supported him and have bought his physical releases on multiple occasions in the past - I hope the best. I'm literally just thinking out loud on a forum, so nobody lose their heads or anything. :beer:

A better investigation would be to identify where from your cynicism originates.

Love need only be given.

FFS StepheeeyG even offered his hole(s) to him and a ride in his summer car. His winter car is only if he decides to snow-bird it up with you. Lot's of coaco and Sade being played at loud volumes - it will be sensual - and Aaron owes it to himself to take it up.

genuine lol from me as I spit coffee out all over my work keyboard

you're not the vibe police.

sorry, brethren. i forgot you're the vibe police police.

i'm fairly indifferent when it comes to V Snares and was unaware of the VS vs WATMM saga (but have now read up on things).

best of luck to him.

Aaron is no more obliged to explain his circumstances to us than we are to support him. He makes a living from his art (despite his unfortunately timed misgivings about that notion) and is able to produce a lot more work than would otherwise be possible if he had a 2nd job or a kid. If you want to facilitate for him an existence wherein he can continue to provide you entertainment that you enjoy then send him $. This is true of any independent artist that you enjoy. I don't find it surprising in the least that he would own an impressive array of equipment considering that he presumably doesn't have a family to support and has his studio in a city with low property value/rent.

I don't much enjoy Funk's tunes. He's undoubtedly talented, and I've heard bits and pieces that were interesting and unique (I've seen some really cool bits posted to his Instagram), but just never a single track that kept my interest.

But the idea of someone expressing his distaste for doing a thing and then quickly doing that thing is weird. Even before the plea for help in his 'very serious' situation, the FACT interview was weird and off-putting. He's interviewing with someone from FACT while talking shit about FACT; he's hating on people talking about his music and rating it/judging it/whatever, while knowing good and well that much of his fan-base is exactly the type of people who frequent forums that discuss music, of course including his; he talks shit about 'having' to perform shows, calling it putting on a 'clown show at a some fucking club' (here he essentially belittles not only his paying fans but the club promoters, his label or whoever does his booking and such); he then is all the while interviewing to promote his new album which he expresses serious contempt for even having to release at all. To be fair, he washes it all under with a statement of 'oh I guess it's not that bad I only hate these parts of my job' and concedes that it's not that worst thing ever.

Like, I get that he's just laying out his opinions, which were asked of him. And of course he's nowhere near the first artist to have this type of stance; even RDJ has said as much if not worse things in interviews (assuming they were at least partly true). But the problem I have (I know you can't wait to hear it!) is with anyone in that sort of standoffish position being so near-sighted about how they do things, it always appears to me as childish.

It reminds me of crust-punk type fuckers, the type of people (or at least my conception of that 'type' of person, which admittedly could be entirely skewed by false impressions) who hate society and will denounce money and talk shit about businessmen, all the while sitting on a sidewalk with a hat out begging for change. Again, that example is perhaps more fiction than fact, but I'd guess we've all seen some level of that in people.

In a perhaps more realistic analog, on Monday Funk goes to his boss (his fans) and complains about how he thinks his boss is often shitty and he hates the hours he has to work and how he hates even having to work at all and how he'd leave in a heartbeat if he could, then on Tuesday goes to his boss and asks for a raise. That's essentially what's happened. To me, that's just the strangest thing, not that people do it, or that people go along with it, but that Funk himself has the balls or the blindness to do it. I guess in a 'have-to' situation, you bite the bullet and do what you've gotta do, but I just couldn't be that kind of person. He obviously can, or feels no choice and thus goes through with it.

To clarify I'm really not hating on him specifically, maybe he truly is in dire straits and a few hundred quick bucks in his pocket could get him out of a jam. And props to him for not asking for donations and actually just asking fans to purchase a product he sells; there's certainly dignity in that. I'm just mostly interested in those types of personalities when faced with such situations.

Archived