IGNORED

Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason

modey

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

boy o' boy!

I have tickets to see them here in Dublin this January...gotta get listening to this!

Happy to read alot of Catch 33 similarities, defo my fav album of theirs.

Funny hearing them being described as Extreme Prog Metal...never heard that one, but i like it!

kinda just stomps along. dunno. ok album i guess, prolly needs more listens for memorable parts to reveal themselves. anyway points still stand: peak=nothing, meshuggah 2k16=by the(ir) numbers.

also: the fuck you people hearing jazz in this?!

edit: by the ton (lol) has some nice chords goin...

Goddamn, everyone hatin on Jens - not like he's Maynard or something!

I get the idea of wanting a Meshuggah instrumental album, but I think realistically it would sound a bit monotonous and repetitive. Just grooves cycling around weird drum patterns for 60 minutes? The vocals are what hold the songs together.

Not to mention I think it would throw the sound off if he incorporated melody or clean singing into it. I mean theyve spent their entire career meticiulously chiselling and refining their signature sound to perfection. They wouldn't suddenly change it that much

Not to mention I think it would throw the sound off if he incorporated melody or clean singing into it. I mean theyve spent their entire career meticiulously chiselling and refining their signature sound to perfection. They wouldn't suddenly change it that much

His singing is by no means clean.  He's got one of the coolest harsh singing voice when he uses it (like 15 years ago).  It would still match the aesthetic without compromising the heaviness.  He wouldn't have to use it much... just a little is all I'd want.  It seems a waste to have that kind of skill and then never use it.  Then again, maybe it's been so long he just can't anymore.  :shrug:

Goddamn, everyone hatin on Jens - not like he's Maynard or something!

i am def not hating, i think i have just grown out of the cookie monster vocal style personally

...I think realistically it would sound a bit monotonous and repetitive. Just grooves cycling around weird drum patterns for 60 minutes?

sounds fucking wonderful

Then again, maybe it's been so long he just can't anymore.  :shrug:

Nah, they played Humiliative at the concert featured on the Alive release and his vocals had melody.. that said it's not exactly the same amount of melodic content as in Contradictions Collapse..

Huh, didn't know that! I just thought Fred provided the spoken word vocals.. 

So was it Fred on this one as well?

It actually kinda sounds like Jens though, but that could just be my brain from all these years assuming he was the lead vocalist for all of Contradictions Collapse..

also: the fuck you people hearing jazz in this?!

there's certainly not as much in this album as in other albums, but I definitely hear a similarity to walking basslines in a lot of the riffs.. and of course Thordendal's fkn weird fusion solos

Huh, didn't know that! I just thought Fred provided the spoken word vocals.. 

So was it Fred on this one as well?

It actually kinda sounds like Jens though, but that could just be my brain from all these years assuming he was the lead vocalist for all of Contradictions Collapse..

Kidman sings on tracks 1, 4, 6 and 9 on CC.

Ritual isn't on CC, it's on NONE, and by then Kidman did all the lead vocals.

Edit: And had left the rhythm guitar playing to Hagström.

lol most of his criticisms were positive points for me

"repetitive guitar phrases whose grooves sound like they were generated randomly"

"count the number of notes on one hand with a few fingers severed off"

and especially this one

"metallic groaning tone of the guitars sound like heavy machinery"

"We haven't jammed in 15 years" wtf man. Like I get that they're all programming their tracks out, but shit. I can't imagine being in a band and not just jamming on sounds to see how it feels, to try stuff out, etc. Insanity.

Archived