IGNORED

The Obligatory iPhone 7/Apple Watch "Series 2" Thread

Joyrex

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea that's why you're on windows tbqh.

lame. literally everything in that demo worked flawlessly.

was kind of a shit demo though, in that she didn't do anything interesting aside from demonstrate the capabilities. would be nice to see someone doing some proper work on it.

the software itself was also only kind of neat, pretty limited uses for sketchy 3d models.

yeh watched it again... most things seem fine except the panning/zooming was 100% mess, think I got hung up on that.

(personally I don't see the value of that dial thing, I mean you have to move it around and put it to places to select which function it shall have, and then you have a knob and a click. Since you have to look at it to see what it does, how is this better than just tapping somewhere to open a popup with touch controls? edit: I don't think very highly of that apple touch strip thing either)

on the pinch at 20 seconds maybe, but was fine aside from that, also it's zooming a 3D scene, so it's going to more taxing than zooming a flat image, and she had just finished drawing a line the second there was the lag, so maybe it was still updating the 3d model as she went to zoom. the bookmark zooming was very fluid. it's likely beta software as well, a lot of the stuff on this thing won't be available until the next version of windows comes out in the new year.

(personally I don't see the value of that dial thing, I mean you have to move it around and put it to places to select which function it shall have, and then you have a knob and a click. Since you have to look at it to see what it does, how is this better than just tapping somewhere to open a popup with touch controls? edit: I don't think very highly of that apple touch strip thing either)

that was just how that particular app implemented it, it's up to the app to design the interaction (the default OS-based interaction is just for a few basic functions like scrolling/zooming/volume/etc - which will work with any pc as long as it has the next windows update). that on-screen interaction is far better than the touch strip though, because it's on screen, so you don't have to move your eyes off the screen to see what it's doing, and even with that software you only needed to move the thing once to select the tool and then you could use it without looking at it, you can see what it's doing by just looking at what you're drawing. you can use the dial on the table if you want too, don't need to place it on the screen (you still see the radial menu on the screen then, and you can move it about with your finger if you want), so it's likely that there was some other means of changing the dial-context as well (probably just by tapping the relevant icon along the bottom), the way she was doing it was probably easier though as she could keep the left hand for choosing the dial tool, and the right for drawing for the most part.

is it a better interaction model than taking your focus off what you're doing with one hand in order to pick some icon from a tool-palette, fiddle about with some settings before you can get back to what you were doing? yes, probably.

on the pinch at 20 seconds maybe, but was fine aside from that, also it's zooming a 3D scene, so it's going to more taxing than zooming a flat image, and she had just finished drawing a line the second there was the lag, so maybe it was still updating the 3d model as she went to zoom. the bookmark zooming was very fluid. it's likely beta software as well, a lot of the stuff on this thing won't be available until the next version of windows comes out in the new year.

lol rhino from 10 years ago doesn't lag like that

no industrial designer / architect in their right mind would run 4k screen with 10 bit color. completely unnecessary because you're drawing entirely representationally and in no way need accurate color or massive pixel count. only photo and graphic people need that stuff in which case sketching a 3d model seems completely pointless unless you work at pixar.

i guess my point is that to me the terms "designer" and "creative" are a complete marketing sham to fool people. Unless you are a 3D film animator, something I would assume is a fairly niche market already dominated by apple, I don't see this as super useful. Maybe if you're into comiccon fan art shit.

no industrial designer / architect in their right mind would run 4k screen with 10 bit color.

so your comparison was irrelevant then, good to know.

completely unnecessary because you're drawing entirely representationally and in no way need accurate color or massive pixel count. only photo and graphic people need that stuff in which case sketching a 3d model seems completely pointless unless you work at pixar.

they mightn't need the resolution or colour depth, unless they work on animation like you say, but they could certainly use the large drafting screen, lots of them already use tablets or cintiqs already. they'd be using the same software on this thing as well, so it would perform as well as it did before. it mightn't represent the majority market for this device, but to say nobody would be interested outside of 3d animation and digital art seems silly.

i guess my point is that to me the terms "designer" and "creative" are a complete marketing sham to fool people. Unless you are a 3D film animator, something I would assume is a fairly niche market already dominated by apple, I don't see this as super useful. Maybe if you're into comiccon fan art shit.

actually that's not dominated by apple at all, pretty much all the software runs on windows, and some of it you can't even get on mac (like 3ds max). it's not that niche either, not only is it used in film and tv, but the games industry as well.

no industrial designer / architect in their right mind would run 4k screen with 10 bit color.

so your comparison was irrelevant then, good to know.

completely unnecessary because you're drawing entirely representationally and in no way need accurate color or massive pixel count. only photo and graphic people need that stuff in which case sketching a 3d model seems completely pointless unless you work at pixar.

they mightn't need the resolution or colour depth, unless they work on animation like you say, but they could certainly use the large drafting screen, lots of them already use tablets or cintiqs already. they'd be using the same software on this thing as well, so it would perform as well as it did before. it mightn't represent the majority market for this device, but to say nobody would be interested outside of 3d animation and digital art seems silly.

actually that's not dominated by apple at all, pretty much all the software runs on windows, and some of it you can't even get on mac (like 3ds max). it's not that niche either, not only is it used in film and tv, but the games industry as well.

you said in this thread that this thing would be good for architects and designers. 

i was at pixar a few years ago and they are all using mac obviously. i'm assuming dreamworks probs use pc but not sure. I guess my question is were art designers / production designers really struggling to capture their creative ideas before this thing existed? somehow I doubt it...

ok done talking to you because you are really annoying.

you said in this thread that this thing would be good for architects and designers.

yes, and I still say that: but they could certainly use the large drafting screen, lots of them already use tablets or cintiqs already.

I guess my question is were art designers / production designers really struggling to capture their creative ideas before this thing existed? somehow I doubt it...

what's that got to do with anything? might as well not bother to invent any new creative things because we have pencils and paintbrushes I guess.

ok done talking to you because you are really annoying.

beats being dumb and an asshole I guess.

Archived