IGNORED

The Obligatory iPhone 7/Apple Watch "Series 2" Thread

Joyrex

also, it's not huge, it's tiny, it's tiny and long. height is far more important. there was no valid reason for them to ditch the key, they could've just put it to the left of the touch bar, or kept the physical function key row and put the touch bar above it (rather than wasting space on an unreasonably large touchpad). seems like a really dumb move on their part, especially seeing as how they've actually made good inroads with programmers in recent years (there used to virtually no programmers using macs, bar the tiny group of people writing mac software, but they're quite popular in the web programming world now).

I don't think anyone that uses this device for any amount of time, especially a programmer, is going to have any issues acclimating to a different shape of key or a slightly different placement. I'm sure they tested it for its ergonomic feel and, if it were really bad, I doubt it would have been designed this way.

The more concerning thing to me is whether the bar will feel useful. Is it just a gimmick or does it improve workflow? Touchscreen definitely alters the way you use your pc for the better. it gives you ways to bypass the trackpad and use multiple levels of input, which is really good.

Second, the prices are very high for lower power hardware, which is asinine. 

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got rid of my 16GB iPad Air 2 for a cheapo (significantly less than the clearance price I paid for the Air last year) 128GB Surface 3 this weekend. Mainly hoping to use it in class for marking up shit on the Smartboard, and for marking papers during my commute. Hopefully it's not shit. 

If you're hands on the keyboard the majority of the time, and not just for typing, you'll almost certainly be using the escape key.

With your hands on the keyboard, what are you doing besides typing, or using the keyboard for text-related work (copy/paste, shortcuts in excel etc)?

I use the escape key all the time while using Indesign/Illustrator.. it's a very useful key, for example to quickly switch from editing text back to the selection tool.

Okay, this is worse news than any fucking touchstrip or lack of ports or unreasonable cost for mediocre performance or anything else brought up about the new Macs: http://gizmodo.com/end-of-an-era-goodbye-mac-startup-sound-1788383059

I'm glad they finally ditched that lo-fi startup sound. At least Windows updated it's startup noise with the times...

The other odd thing is apparently the new MBPs turn on when you open the lid - I guess it makes sense, but what if you are just setting up your laptop to begin working, and aren't ready yet?

I guess this explains the lack of a power button as well...

The other day I found the exact synth with the exact preset that makes the old Windows 3.1 start sound (tada.wav) but I can't for the live of me remember what it was now .... (sorry, not a very interesting non-fact)

^ yeh these updates aren't bad at all. There probably aren't many situations where you want the thing being open and not powered on at the same time. Maybe when you're cleaning it? So just power it down. Guess most people keep their MacBooks on all the time anyway.

currently gravitating towards getting a used retina MBP for something like 1000€. Not a huge investment and should last at least 2 years, in this time Schnapple maybe comes up with something better than the new turdbooks

^ yeh these updates aren't bad at all. There probably aren't many situations where you want the thing being open and not powered on at the same time. Maybe when you're cleaning it? So just power it down. Guess most people keep their MacBooks on all the time anyway.

the day i was looking through the console & saw all the stuff that my macbook was doing in the middle of the night with the lid closed when it was supposed to be asleep was the day i said 'aw hell no' & started shutting down the computer every night.

as far as the autostart on lid open: say i want to zap the PRAM. i just open the lid, put my finger on the P key, R key, command key, option key, now i press the power b... too late the computer already started when i opened the lid.

stop telling me what i want, apple!

luckily you can easily reverse all this krap:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/31/how-to-restore-the-classic-mac-startup-chime-to-apples-new-2016-macbook-pros

Did anyone else catch the news that 2 of the USB-C ports on the new MBP have limited PCI Express bandwidth?

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/macbook-pro-tb3-reduced-pci-express-bandwidth/

"MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) supports Thunderbolt 3 at full performance using the two left-hand ports. The two right-hand ports deliver Thunderbolt 3 functionality, but have reduced PCI Express bandwidth."

ah yeh, good point with the startup key combos...

meanwhile:

Apple to drop MacBook Pro prices, introduce new 32GB RAM option in 2017

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/31/2017-macbook-pro-rumors/

s6o8tajtmy32qgivntwg.jpg

Lol that article is literally just about some guy speculating. I seriously doubt much of that is true just because it doesn't make sense...next year update the laptops to a new processor that isn't even complete yet, when they couldn't get the newest Kaby Lake processor into this release? Doubtful. Also, lower the price, at least by any significant amount? Doubtful, not when they're obviously positioning the new laptops as luxury items to match the rest of their portfolio. Double RAM capabilities? Maybe? But also, duh?

Edit: also Rubin I hadn't heard about the two hobbled ports. How fucking cheap of them.

Did anyone else catch the news that 2 of the USB-C ports on the new MBP have limited PCI Express bandwidth?

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/macbook-pro-tb3-reduced-pci-express-bandwidth/

"MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) supports Thunderbolt 3 at full performance using the two left-hand ports. The two right-hand ports deliver Thunderbolt 3 functionality, but have reduced PCI Express bandwidth."

That's not that big a of a deal. apparently a thunderbolt port can run 4 usb 3.0 devices at fully power with an adapter.

lol the woman going on an SJW rampage from that tweet is the most amusing thing.

also I need to start a SJW patreon. holy shit.

Archived