IGNORED

The Obligatory iPhone 7/Apple Watch "Series 2" Thread

Joyrex

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting times ahead for people in China (and no doubt coming to West real soon).

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/30/14128870/foxconn-robots-automation-apple-iphone-china-manufacturing

Welcome to the first round of automation. Starting in China, then working its way westward. Don’t think we’ll be immune, jobs at the low skill, low wage end will be eroded and eaten away, and there will not be the replacements for them, not this time.

30%-45% unemployment will become a new normal, and then governments are going to be faced with a whole new set of problems, with corporations being able to relocate on a whim and being tax transient, and a population that simply cannot find jobs because they do not exist.

Interesting times to come in the next two decades.

• 2 weeks later...

I was with the wife this weekend at an Apple store, and played around a bit with the MacBook Pro with the touch bar.

My wife is NOT into technology - I showed it to her, and her response was "what was wrong with the keys that this replaced?"

I explained they are now contextual, where the bar will change depending on what app you are using.

She said "So? can't you just push a key and depending on what app it is, it does different things? What happens if that tiny screen goes out?"

I think that sums things up pretty well - this is NOT innovation, Apple.

I'm starting to think that downward trend most predicted after Jobs died that would come is starting to happen.

10th anniversary iPhone better be something special!

It'll be an iPhone 7 *BUT* in a slightly different shade of case colour, maybe even a headphone jack as a retro-chic throwback (sorry being ridiculous there, who would want a headphone jack ?!)

I was with the wife this weekend at an Apple store, and played around a bit with the MacBook Pro with the touch bar.

My wife is NOT into technology - I showed it to her, and her response was "what was wrong with the keys that this replaced?"

I explained they are now contextual, where the bar will change depending on what app you are using.

She said "So? can't you just push a key and depending on what app it is, it does different things? What happens if that tiny screen goes out?"

I think that sums things up pretty well - this is NOT innovation, Apple.

I'm starting to think that downward trend most predicted after Jobs died that would come is starting to happen.

I feel exactly the same about the new MacBook Pro. It's just meh - the touchpad thing is just one of the daftest, most pointless things they've ever done. It really smacks of desperation.

touch bar aside

touch bar aside, the fact that i can barely use itunes or music or whatever it is called without it adding or subtracting to my library without me is insane. for the first time ever, i avoided updating my ios because of fear, and lo and behold, once i did, i lost a bunch of shit. plus navigating that debacle called music now? is that even real? i cant even begin with all the different menus in different places with different options. it took 3 relatively smart people at my office to figure out how to have a song not repeat. flol. it is definitely happening. no question.

touch bar aside

touch bar aside, the fact that i can barely use itunes or music or whatever it is called without it adding or subtracting to my library without me is insane. for the first time ever, i avoided updating my ios because of fear, and lo and behold, once i did, i lost a bunch of shit. plus navigating that debacle called music now? is that even real? i cant even begin with all the different menus in different places with different options. it took 3 relatively smart people at my office to figure out how to have a song not repeat. flol. it is definitely happening. no question.

The downward spiral is mostly mitigated by the problem (which all tech companies are facing) of there being no real ground-breaking tech on the foreseeable horizon. We may have to wait many, many years before we see the kind of revolution that mobile computing brought - and which is solely responsible for Apple's success these lat ten years.

Apple are really just treading water now but the same can be said of all the others. They're all waiting for the next big thing.

I feel like I'm the only person whose music app and iTunes.... Just Work.

My real beef w/ apple is the clusterfuck of ports on their current devices. I wish they had killed Lightning.

The downward spiral is mostly mitigated by the problem (which all tech companies are facing) of there being no real ground-breaking tech on the foreseeable horizon. We may have to wait many, many years before we see the kind of revolution that mobile computing brought - and which is solely responsible for Apple's success these lat ten years.

Apple are really just treading water now but the same can be said of all the others. They're all waiting for the next big thing.

groundbreaking tech is never foreseen, if it could've been foreseen, it wouldn't be groundbreaking, it would be boring and obvious (like the standard expected incremental improvements in storage and computation). there are though multiple avenues down which things can and will develop, hints at things which could be very exciting indeed, something machine learning related probably (or maybe related to a radically different computing architecture, something to get around the limits of Moore's law were currently starting to butt up against), but the exact form it'll take is next to impossible to predict, could just as easily happen next year as after the next decade for all we know. the big companies aren't all treading water either, they're spending vast sums of money on basic research (maybe not Apple actually, they were never big on original work).

yeh not really treading water, more like grasping at straws to whatever next major market they could succeed in.

The mobile thing was quite predictable back then. Not the exact form it happened to take, but it was kind of inevitable. Everyone had mobile phones (and depended on them! And the infrastructure for mobile internet was built!) and they all sucked, yet new ones were created all the time, and they too sucked, and then Apple stomped all over them.

The current emergent consumer tech stuff is different. It's just pretty much all quite shit. Seriously, who needs VR? Fucking nobody. The same goes for IOT stuff, including Bluetooth speakers you can talk to. Voice interfaces are quite certainly a dead end imo. They're just not a very precise input, even less precise than touch screens. Remember when the Kinect was hot and everyone thought NUI (gesture interfaces) would be the next big thing? Yeah. That happened not.

Dunno, there seems to be a lot of money being poured into robotic vehicles rn.. From all the hyped up shit this is the only area that looks vaguely like it could be actually useful and change several games. It's happening faster in logistics (cranes, entire ports, soon cargo ships, trucks) than in consumer space where it's still a toy for rich midlife crisis dudes, but it's coming....

well and it happens that Apple just lost Chris Lattner, the guy who's responsible for the Swift language, to Tesla.

Apple's own internal car project seems to have crashed at least once, according to rumors...

touch bar aside

forget the groundbreaking tech. how about your shit just works? you know, like it used to?

Got my daughter her first phone (Huawei Android thingy).  Plugged it into my Linux PC and copied a bunch of music across with just copy and paste into the music folder.  Super fast.  Playing .flac files.

Wife and I looked over at our iphones with sad faces, both thinking "Wish we could do that".  I don't think my iphone has ever worked with itunes on my Macbook properly, even though I keep both up to date.   At least I can get photos off it with the photo app.

#innovation.

well you have to subscribe to Apple Music and your problems are not problems anymore.

Files, humbug!

Ads, FUCK YEAH!

GO TIIIIM!

I FUCKING LOVE ADS

is it me or does iOS 10 fkn suck? they've changed so many weird things that were cool about previous versions, like the camera actually remembering settings (like square mode etc). and the 'lift to turn on screen' thing was interesting at first but then got so annoying I had to turn it off.

Archived