IGNORED

BOLA - D.E.G

Poimandres

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange that there is no 24Bit offering from Bleep. Not that it really matters a whole lot, I guess.

Just surprised because Bola seems like the kind of guy who would have that recording capability.

Maybe he recorded it 10 years ago and it's taken him this long to think of another Bola pun. Speaking of which, I wonder if there's any significance to the dots in D.E.G, like it's an acronym for something?

Maybe he recorded it 10 years ago and it's taken him this long to think of another Bola pun. Speaking of which, I wonder if there's any significance to the dots in D.E.G, like it's an acronym for something?

There is. He mentions it in the interview a few posts back.

vocals on tracks 4 and 9 are a bit crap, solid album overall though ... maybe his 3rd or 4th best

How have you listened to it? Doesn't come out until tomorrow right?

maybe here.

Those are only samples though, unless I'm missing some way to play the full tracks?

I dunno then. maybe some people snagged early copies.

Those are only samples though, unless I'm missing some way to play the full tracks?

as fumi mentioned, on Juno (a laborious process using two different browsers, but was able to listen through the entire album).  maybe it's a grower, who knows.  definitely better than Gnayse, Shapes, and probably Kroungrine.  also higher BPM than I was expecting, on some of these tracks

edit: album leaked, I've spent the last couple hours listening ... eh, I dunno.  Strongest tracks are definitely 1, 2, 3, and 10.  It's a bit worse than my first impression, but still pretty good  

My CD came in the post this morning. My long review is at the link below.

It's essential listening for electronic music fans with some great moments but there are also some real duds - the tracks with vocals are woeful, IMO. They would have worked better without them. Kappafects is the weakest track on the album. Even the last track is somewhat subdued (as if he just didn't know where to take it).

The classic Bola we all know and love is basically tracks 1,2,3 (3 being the standout along with the last part of Pelomen Vapour).

For some people, having waited this long, you might be disappointed. Then again...

https://plutonicrain...05/25/bola-deg/

Give the vocals on track 4 Evensong another chance, best track on the album imo... first 3 are nice too so far

It is a nice track - if only for the voice.

Darell has reminded me that the vocals on Evensong and Kappafects are synthetic.

I like D.E.G a lot - it's head and shoulders above most other electronic stuff - I'd expect no less from Bola but there a quite a few times where (for whatever reason) it feels like the album was a struggle to make. You can sense it in some of the tracks. They lack the Bola magic.

Take the final track, it's pleasant but meanders as if in search of something that never arrives.

I dunno. Everyone is going to have a different take on what they like/don't like about it.

Vocals on tracks 4 + 9 are terrible, honestly hard to even see this as a matter of opinion, but I suppose I have to technically say that this is just my opinion.  lol

I can already tell that I am going to be diving into this repeatedly for quite some time.

I find that the entirety of this body of work is unbelievably lovely and it pulls all the right strings within me.

Bravo, Bola!

Second proper listen now, enjoying it much more than the first time (but I'm listening to it in a better environment too).

I think I was taken aback first at what a nostalgia trip it would be. I associated Bola with having just the right mix of abrasiveness (for the time) and the mellows. The first time I heard Mauver I was like, what planet does this harken from? (The lyrics of course, touch on that too) 

Acutally, I think I quite like the first 5 tracks of the album. Even track 4--I don't hear melody/harmony writing like that pretty much ever in electronic music. The only minor not even a nitpick really, is that for all the vocal synth programming (nice vibratos!) there's no dynamic range in the voice. Limitation of the tech, whatevs. Anyway If I like half the tracks on an album, that's a success in my books.

Nice.

I agree those vocal tracks sound really naff. Was thinking of picking up the vinyl but after hearing evensong in particular it's going to be a mp3 purchase with a bit of editing required.

Still, 6 or so decent new bola tracks are always welcome.

I love how Bola takes his time to build up his tracks into something greater than their parts.  Really enjoying how almost every track here starts off very mellow, yet winds their way down very different paths than the start.  Also, Evensong is one of my top tracks here.  Not sure about the complaints regarding this one.  Kappafects is ok...could do without it.  All in all though, each track really hooked me on listen #1.   

Archived