IGNORED

Your Guilty Pleasure

fumi

no such thing as a guilty pleasure imo, if you like something you shouldn't be ashamed

diversity is awesome

I agree with this, in theory, but irl there's certain music I would never tell certain people I enjoy. PC Music, for example. I dont feel guilty of course, but I'd never let my friends catch me listening to that

I guess true guilty pleasure would be like, I dunno, music you like that has moral issues attached

i.e. atmospheric black metal band from east europe with iffy sociopolitical leanings or iconography

or music made by convicted murders like big lurch or x-raided

or burzum

or fascist ambient lol

Yeah I feel guilty enjoying homo bashing Ragga/dance hall. I really like sizzla and there was one banging dancehall track I really loved but then realised the lyrics were about killing gays :(

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved that Haim album when it came out, Mechanical Animals-era Manson is decent, HIM's earlier stuff, recently discovered it's uncool to like Jean Michel Jarre so I'm throwing Equinox into the list.

Does Bon Iver qualify as a guilty pleasure? I can never tell. Either way, I love those three records he put out. He's always been leaps and bounds ahead of his contemporaries.

I still dig a lot of Weezer's post-Pinkerton material. Raditude and Hurley were garbage but I thought a couple of those early 00's albums were neat, along with the last couple they put out.

I loved that Haim album when it came out, Mechanical Animals-era Manson is decent, HIM's earlier stuff, recently discovered it's uncool to like Jean Michel Jarre so I'm throwing Equinox into the list.

Does Bon Iver qualify as a guilty pleasure? I can never tell. Either way, I love those three records he put out. He's always been leaps and bounds ahead of his contemporaries.

I still dig a lot of Weezer's post-Pinkerton material. Raditude and Hurley were garbage but I thought a couple of those early 00's albums were neat, along with the last couple they put out.

I'm with you on that haim album, lyrics are cheesy af at times but at least half of it is perfect pop music.

Got a huge ABBA soft spot. I know they're kind of everyone's stereotypical guilty pleasure band but even so. Love tunes like SOS, and this. Actually I like a lot of cheesy disco:

Also quite fond of Dire Straits which is definitely very uncool, my dad always used to play them around the house when I was wee. Mind you, Mark Knopfler's solo stuff is excellent in a mostly non-guilty way, lovely blues/folk storytelling kind of songs.

yeah I have a soft spot for that era of EBM stuff..  Covenant, VNV, Assemblage 23 etc.. reminds me of my brief goth era lol

Fucking yeah! I know what you mean, I think I've always been a bit of a closet goth.

Yeah, I really like that Metropolis EBM-flavored trance stuff too. A group that I think is particularly creative is mind.in.a.box. Really stimulating and more involved song structures compared to the other acts for me. They celebrate the Gibson cyberpunk vision and 80s synthpop, but keeping the only the best part of the cheese. Also the cymbal play is totally on point on some tracks (Amnesia)

:nyan:

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and the like..

Even some Malmsteen

Yep, I like Joe Satriani, Surfing with the Alien, Flying in a Blue Dream and The Extremist all have great tunes on.

Even some Malmsteen

Yep, I like Joe Satriani, Surfing with the Alien, Flying in a Blue Dream and The Extremist all have great tunes on.

Surfing is such a great album. Actually all three of those are amazing. My dad was really into Satriani so I heard a lot of those tracks growing up. I was able to take him to see Satriani live in concert before he passed away, great night I won't soon forget.

Even some Malmsteen

Surfing is such a great album. Actually all three of those are amazing. My dad was really into Satriani so I heard a lot of those tracks growing up. I was able to take him to see Satriani live in concert before he passed away, great night I won't soon forget.

:smile: 

• 3 weeks later...

this song

the weirdest thing to me is that he references listening to iron maiden in such a poppy shit hole song

It was also a teen comedy soundtrack track. And a weird guitar chord as my dad pointed out, kind of an odd riff. This came out just as I was about to move from the UK back to Texas. They had a cover Erasure's "just a little respect" that charted well in the UK (#3 I think) but back in the US nobody really remembered them as anything other than a one hit fluke. I lived on a military base in England and the music taste for most people was quite limited and predictable, so much so that when I asked someone if he'd heard of Weezer he assumed I spoke of Wheatus.

Archived