IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

I have a rule to stop me gassing for everything that it must have microtuning unless it's a Yamaha reface cheap. The reface bit I added when it came out. It's serves me quite well as it illiminates a fair amount of gas. 

Edit: ironically now I think about it I've barely done anything in microtuning since I bought the reface in the summer so I may have to take it out of the studio again because it makes the rule seem proper stupid.

Edited by donquixote

I still haven't really heard much microtonal music that inspires me enough to actually get into it myself. Stuff like this is incredible..

.. but I can't think of any way I'd fit that into my music. The closest I've come to actually making music using microtuning is using slightly out of tune samples in order to give tracks a dodgy rave feel haha

Microtonal is like microdosing: both things are for insufferable turbo-nerds. 

I think I would like it more but it keeps sounding out of tune to my brainwashed-by-classical-scales ears. ?

On rare occasions it sounds good:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, thawkins said:

I think I would like it more but it keeps sounding out of tune to my brainwashed-by-classical-scales ears. ?

Double post.

Edited by donquixote

50 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Cheers, it's nice to meet you too. 

As an insufferable turbo nerd this is nice: 

Edited by donquixote

1 hour ago, donquixote said:

Sorry, I did mean that as a joke and I guess I failed to make it very clear. I am also an insufferable turbo nerd but probably in other insufferable ways.

For instance the song you linked is good, pleasing to listen to it. It's not the bad kind of microtonal at all that scratches my mind out from the inside.

Besides, isn't there a fancy MIDI plugin now where you can simulate any tuning from a VST basically using pitch bend? I saw it mentioned on this very forum. 

2 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Why does that band think it needs to have two drummers?

It works pretty well in live. I think two drummers add some sort of tightness and more body (kind of like a chorus effect) but if they suck playing together then it's horrible of course.

7 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Sorry, I did mean that as a joke and I guess I failed to make it very clear. I am also an insufferable turbo nerd but probably in other insufferable ways.

For instance the song you linked is good, pleasing to listen to it. It's not the bad kind of microtonal at all that scratches my mind out from the inside.

Besides, isn't there a fancy MIDI plugin now where you can simulate any tuning from a VST basically using pitch bend? I saw it mentioned on this very forum. 

Haha. No worries I have thicker skin than that! Was joking too. It's actually a compliment in some ways. Dunno about that VSt, I try to keep away from that stuff too, so little time for that world of fun unfortunately. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, donquixote said:

Gamelan isn't really microtonal, it just uses a different system of temperament. Most of the intervals are actually larger than European scales, although it's hard to generalize because even different towns on a single island can have different tuning systems.  That recording sounds like the gamelan they're playing (which, if it's the one pictured on the front, is a 100% American design) has been tuned to the standard European temperament we're all used to, to make it easier to integrate it with Western instruments.

Sounds great, though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Gamelan isn't really microtonal, it just uses a different system of temperament. Most of the intervals are actually larger than European scales, although it's hard to generalize because even different towns on a single island can have different tuning systems.  That recording sounds like the gamelan they're playing (which, if it's the one pictured on the front, is a 100% American design) has been tuned to the standard European temperament we're all used to, to make it easier to integrate it with Western instruments.

Sounds great, though.

True, microtonal is kinda a catch all phrase for thing that aren't western 440 these days so you get what I'm saying but yeah you're technically more correct than me. 

Alt tunings would have been a better description. 

Edited by donquixote

59 minutes ago, kakapo said:

Elektron model:samples is £269 at Andertons uk for black friday.

Speaking of black friday we got a full auto coffee machine: 3 inputs coffee, milk, ground coffee, 10 insert effects but I only care about lattes. It's not only audio gear that matters in the studio.

12 minutes ago, donquixote said:

True, microtonal is kinda a catch all phrase for thing that aren't western 440 these days so you get what I'm saying but yeah you're technically more correct than me. 

Alt tunings would have been a better description. 

As an insufferable turbo nerd I was morally obligated to get pedantic about it.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kakapo said:

Elektron model:samples is £269 at Andertons uk for black friday.

Yeah this seems to be the deal that's been happening at a few stores in Australia as well. It's kind of an insane price for what you get.

Also re: microtuning, I do agree a lot of microtonal/non-standard EDO stuff is nice, but it still doesn't really make me want to make music with those systems, especially since most of my gear doesn't support microtuning anyway!

My big gear investment of 2015 was buying a Juno 6 with some issues for a good price, restoring it and putting in a Tubbutec MIDI retrofit (still ended up being about $100 less than the initial price of a Deepmind 12, which is what I had been saving for).  It's possibly to load Scala files into it via sysex to do microtuning but I haven't gotten to it yet, I really should.

• Like 1

I've got to say, I've always been weirdly fascinated by the PAiA modulars, and an entire basic 9700s costs less than some single oscillator Eurorack modules.  There aren't a ton of demos but the ones that aren't just recorded in the room with someones camera mic have a sort of big, rough edged, almost-broken sound that really works for me, sounds more 70s than most of what I've heard come out of Eurorack. Some of the sounds on here remind me of things like the Korg Synthe Bass (not the same sound but the same kind of vibe), they're v/octave and generally compatible with Eurorack so it's not a completely closed system, and going into frac-rack in the golden age of Eurorack appeals to my contrarian nature.

I might have to make a rack or two of 9700 modules 2020's big project.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I've got to say, I've always been weirdly fascinated by the PAiA modulars [...] they're v/octave and generally compatible with Eurorack

This statement piqued my curiosity so I looked it up. Frac is 15v whereas Eurorack is 12v so that might cause some trouble (and fried Euro modules, which, as you rightly point it, can be expensive).