IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

So my desk is getting crowded with gear and I'm looking for a more optimal set-up, specifically for a bunch of electribes. I'm looking for (budget)studio furniture, perhaps handy stands to hold them, anyone have tips, where/what to look out for?

Guest Chesney

Build them yourself. Borrow a chop saw, a drill etc, get a load of wood, packing wood that you get from white electrical goods is the best and there are companies that will give you some as they have is out back for chucking anyway. My whole studio was made like this. I'll take some pics if you like?

Thing is I have two left hands and unfortunately no time to spend on such project, I'd rather pay someone with the chops to custom build something. I've recently bought a few secondhand volca's that came with a table-top like wooden construction, something like this for the electribes would be sweet, take up less horizontal space.

How does your pile of stuff look like now? I had huge success just getting two IKEA tablet stands (I think it's called Rimforsa) and putting my gear on those.

Basically one big ass desk + one folded out table full of shit. Will look into Rimforsa or other Ikea things that could be useful. Found this site that looks interesting; http://www.zerack.com/en/ , but they only show a picture of the newer version electribes, not the oldies.

Edited by Guest

Basically what the Rimforsa did for me is it allowed me to have my Livid Code and Korg MS2000R in a more vertical position so that they took way less horizontal space on the desk and also became more usable without having to crouch over them to see whatever is going on with the blinky lights. Also since the cables stick out from the top side it's easier to patch stuff into the MS2000R-s inputs and hey all the cables make it seem like some pro knob twiddling station.

I checked out that website you linked, and too bad that they only make enclosures for a couple of the newer models, it's interesting stuff.

Virtualizer Pro should be here tomorrow.  I noticed in the old SOS review that the whole thing runs at 46.875kHz. It doesn't really matter in practical terms, but I always appreciate when a piece of gear works in a way that's a little weird.

Maybe that extra 2.775 kHz is what made Modey like his so much.

Thanks for reminding me of this thing, Modey, it really does sound pretty great, kind of makes me want to track down a V-Verb sometime, sicne those seem to be as close to legendary status ans anything Behringer ever made, both in terms of quality and unreliability.

EDIT: the vocoder has no right sounding as good as it does, ether.

Edited by RSP

I found a Jomox T-Resonator on CL, seems like a really fun thing to have for effects and ambient wobbles, but I don't really want more outboard gear that I have to figure out how to connect.. this demo is pretty good though:

Can’t believe how much BAMs are going for these days. I thought $600 was expensive, but now I can’t find anything for under $1000.

I just can’t justify it when I’m such a master at ableton’s reverb.

THawkins you're catching the sickness, watch out.

Yeah it's been getting really bad over the last couple of weeks. Really bad...

I was doing great for months but then things went south this spring and now I have three new pieces of gear in as many months, and I kind of want a Behringer V-Verb Pro now (but fortunately I can't afford one, hopefully it'll subside by the time I have spare cash again).

At least the Virtualizer Pro was only $60 (and 100% worth it).

That's crazy, Sheathe!  I know they're sold out but I thought they were going to do another run of them.  When I got mine I had to wait a couple months for them to do another run but it happened.  Are there just people with more money than patience, or did OTO discontinue them?  Can't tell one way or the other from the web site.

At that price you could get a Tip-Top Z-DSP module, the Halls ofValhalla card, one of those little Moog racks like the Mother-32 comes in, and a stereo i/o module, and probably have some money left over to get a cheap LFO or something to put in there with it, and you'd probabably be better off, as much as I do love the BAM.

Edited by RSP

Can’t believe how much BAMs are going for these days. I thought $600 was expensive, but now I can’t find anything for under $1000.

600$ http://fiveg.net/?pid=132834807

I temporarily fought off my gas by building a nice ambient reverby rack in Live and half-finished wiring up an LFO in the Pure Data patch to modulate things in my external synths.

It's been real bad the last couple of weeks because I keep ordering and bidding on stuff even though the last batch even has not arrived. Sure, it was just a bunch of 1/4" to 1/8" adapters and mic clips, but here I am waiting for my Roland A33 and checking out even other new gear on these damn websites. Feels like it will get worse unless I do some serious self disciplining.

Edited by thawkins

THawkins you're catching the sickness, watch out.

Yeah it's been getting really bad over the last couple of weeks. Really bad...

At that price you could get a Tip-Top Z-DSP module, the Halls ofValhalla card, one of those little Moog racks like the Mother-32 comes in, and a stereo i/o module, and probably have some money left over to get a cheap LFO or something to put in there with it, and you'd probabably be better off, as much as I do love the BAM.

That's a great idea. Pretty sure this will be my first venture into eurorack somewhere in the next few months.

Just took delivery of a quadraverb and a bcr2000. If the deal goes through tomorrow I'll be picking up a modfactor. Finally getting some nice hw effects :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Also waiting on one of these: https://www.gear4music.nl/nl/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Deluxe-2-Tier-keyboard-Stand-by-Gear4music/1FQV?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIusKBsefd2gIVEJ4bCh1a0AuLEAQYBCABEgJQLPD_BwE

Supposed to be here tomorrow as well.

Edited by user

I've never had a Quadraverb but I have an Alesis Wedge (sort of the illegitimate child of the Midiverb and the Quadraverb, apparently the algorithms were the next generation of the Midiverb and the UI was adapted from the Quadraverb, or maybe vice versa) and it's a lot of fun, really playable data sliders with smooth realtime control of every parameter (four at a time), and it has its own sound that I've never heard from a plugin. Plus it was like $26. I bet the Quadraverb will be great.  I think the QS series keyboards shared some of the same algorithms and those sound good. I generally tend to like pre-buyout, 90s, digital Alesis stuff when I get to use it, even the Nanoverb is better than its price suggests.

anyone have any hands on play with the DFAM?

Just saw they retail for juuussst about what i'd shell out if I was swimming in cash...for some reason I thought they went for around the 1K mark

I temporarily fought off my gas by building a nice ambient reverby rack in Live and half-finished wiring up an LFO in the Pure Data patch to modulate things in my external synths.

It's been real bad the last couple of weeks because I keep ordering and bidding on stuff even though the last batch even has not arrived. Sure, it was just a bunch of 1/4" to 1/8" adapters and mic clips, but here I am waiting for my Roland A33 and checking out even other new gear on these damn websites. Feels like it will get worse unless I do some serious self disciplining.

Wow a green one.

Wow a green one.

Did they change the color at some point?  I thought they were all green.

Anyhow the OTO site says a new batch will be out mid July.

Edited by RSP

They will sell out again before I have the money. Dammit.

I’ve wanted oto stuff for so long. But still paying off Japan trip, plus second baby coming, so I’m gonna have to be happy with software.

There's an SH-101 for sale on Craigslist in pristine condition and it's $800. Trying hard not to throw my entire wallet at it.