IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

2 hours ago, psn said:

I've half jokingly been calling the USA a "developing country" for the last 20 years. At this rate it's not even that, it's unravelling before our eyes.

I seriously welcome UN monitoring of our elections, especially in the deep south and GOP dominated rural areas.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, luke viia said:

^ ffs... this is gonna get so bad.

I had my primary ballot in the mail at 6:30am the day it was due (Aug 4). surprisingly, when I got home that night, my ballot was still in my mailbox and the flag was still up. First time that's ever happened to me with any mail, let alone a ballot on voting day. It was (presumably uselessly) picked up the next day. 

Made me feel pretty uneasy about the general election. Get your ballots in the post ASAP, people. 

My entire family in Florida received fake mail in ballots, they really went all out to make them look legit, but look at the return addressee, and Google it.

4 hours ago, very honest said:

americans should feel fucking incensed at the right

The states have autonomy over their voting rules. They would have to change the constitution in order to get around that.

Not saying they won't try though.

Unfortunately, the federal government might be able to pull some shit on USPS with an executive order.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Braintree said:

The states have autonomy over their voting rules. They would have to change the constitution in order to get around that.

Not saying they won't try though.

Unfortunately, the federal government might be able to pull some shit on USPS with an executive order.

On top of that counties and municipalities vary in terms of how much voter outreach, resources, and funding is spent beyond the bare legal minimum. So for example Travis County Texas (Austin) allows you to vote at ANY poll in the county during both early voting and on election day. They give fairly accurate live stats on how busy each poll is. On the flipside in Harris County (Houston) you have to vote in your precinct, which can be a inconvenience if you work on the other side of town, can't take off more than a couple hours from work, etc. In really shitty and corrupt areas polls are purposely left understaffed, underfunded, given faulty machines, etc. That happened a lot in Georgia during 2018. In some states the election commissioners for the state are appointed, legally, by cronies. Florida's been like that for ages which is partly why 2000 was such a clusterfuck.

• Like 1

I actually had thought of the “Yosemite”/“Anti-Semite” thing before but I think of all kinds of things that have to be shelved due to cultural taboos and social norms and it’s better to not draw attention to yourself and all that and then the fucking president just blurts it out

6 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

My entire family in Florida received fake mail in ballots, they really went all out to make them look legit, but look at the return addressee, and Google it.

Wait, WHAT?! Isn't that insanely illegal to (even if it were poorly done) distribute fraudulent ballots? Do they know who is behind sending them? Are they being targeted to areas known to have a party majority?

So fucked..  Florida is always within 100k votes and there are plenty of people who will fill something out without even reading it.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. authorities have discovered an unfinished 1,300-foot (400-meter) tunnel under the U.S.-Mexico border, calling it an unusually sophisticated smuggling route complete with ventilation and a rail system.

The tunnel was found on Tuesday in the desert near San Luis, Arizona by federal agents led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s investigative arm, the agency said in a press release Friday. The tunnel found this week measured 3 feet by 4 feet (91 cm by 1.22 meters) and included a “ventilation system, water lines, electrical wiring, rail system, [and] extensive reinforcement,” ICE said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-mexico-tunnel/us-officials-find-sophisticated-smuggling-tunnel-on-mexican-border-idUSKCN2532Q1

time to extend that "powerful TRUMP Wall" downwards

29 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

Wasn't that reported on like two years ago?

so, trump's executive actions are fucked up. suspending the payroll tax which funds social security/medicare... and saying that he'll temrinate the tax entirely.. 

wtf.. when did the POTUS become a king who can just wipe laws off the map entirely? 

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/08/trump-just-admitted-live-television-he-will-terminate-social-security-and-medicare?cd-origin=rss

One progressive critic called the president's promise "a full-on declaration of war against current and future Social Security beneficiaries."

President Donald Trump on Saturday afternoon openly vowed to permanently "terminate" the funding mechanism for both Social Security and Medicare if reelected in November—an admission that was seized upon by defenders of the popular safety net programs who have been warning for months that the administration's threat to suspend the payroll tax in the name of economic relief during the Covid-19 pandemic was really a backdoor sabotage effort.

Announcing and then signing a series of legally dubious executive orders, including an effort to slash the emergency federal unemployment boost by $200 from the $600 previously implemented by Democrats, Trump touted his order for a payroll tax "holiday"—which experts noted would later have to be paid back—but said if he won in November that such a cut would become permanent.

i guess this will go to the courts and the trump justices will side w/trump and america is over. shrug. 

Doesn't that mean that retired people are going to stop getting a social security check?

Is he really trying to lose the election?

Given that a lot of elderly people vote Republican and that they're the main demographic that don't wear masks, the virus is either going to kill them or they're going to starve to death.

Just now, Braintree said:

Doesn't that mean that retired people are going to stop getting a social security check?

Is he really trying to lose the election?

Sounds like it to me...assuming our 244-year-old democratic process hasn't been completely subverted at this point

Edited by timbre monke

17 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Get yer QAnon Trumpy Bear.  Someone please invade us already.

Wow. That's not a joke, right?
Also, who the fuck mixed that shit? Sounds horrible!

• Like 1