IGNORED

Is Syro Underrated...

flacid

... from a composition perspective? 

Tracks like Minipops, Xmas, the Circlonts and U473t are constantly changing and morphing, not only in a timbral/textural way but also in his melodies. He used repetition a lot less than previous albums and it seems like Syro might actually contain his best melodies and ideas/variety/transitions? 

Anyway, seems like there was a lot of 'growth' from him musically in this album, or am I just talking shit? 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is I still don't like it half as much as his other LPs

It seems brimming and bubbling with brilliant ideas but for some reason the final result isn't as great as it could be (in my humble opinion).  I'm not bothered though because the man still has more skill in his little finger than most of the rest of the field.

of course, from a production/technical standpoint it's VERY underrated.

i probably wouldn't class it as one of my favourite rdj releases though. sure, it has some god tier tunes (xmas_eve, 4bit, circlont6a) but as a collective, syro doesn't stand up to stuff like drukqs, rushup, come to daddy, etc.

Guest Chesney

I have literally just listened to some of Syro for the first time in ages. It was the first thing I put on as I got the new studio to a point I could set up the puter and new monitors. Fuck, Not heard it like this before, it blew me away. All the work paid off in planning as it sounds incredible.

As for the question, I always felt syro was a little meandering. Not as focussed as the Tuss stuff, they just go where they are meant to but syro seems to show that he was a little stuck for direction or tried too hard to take it other directions to not sound predictably aphex. That said, it's still a great album for all things but the sound makes it for me over the arrangements.

I liked it a lot more when I heard it on vinyl. I am in the minority opinion that the last track aisatsana is underwhelming and doesn't fit the rest of the album. Minipops is a great tune. Whether the album is over- or underrated is down to how different your rating of the album is in comparison to other people's.

Next album when?

minipops 67, xmas eve and 4bit just blew my mind because we finally got to hear the wizard level 2006 braindance on our own speakers. wish i could hear them unmastered

animwiz.gif

edit: also not underrated i mean who cares how it's rated it's like a floaty synthesizer teddybear ISS hug roaming sunset peak fantastic no? that makes it great for me

It's an Aphex Twin album! Initially every one of them has been notoriously underrated. Who gives a ...

Anything imminent is all I give a fck about currently. Still a lot missing in the bleepstore. Dammit... :(

I liked it a lot more when I heard it on vinyl. I am in the minority opinion that the last track aisatsana is underwhelming and doesn't fit the rest of the album. Minipops is a great tune. Whether the album is over- or underrated is down to how different your rating of the album is in comparison to other people's.

Next album when?

I've got end E2 after s950 and before asisiaitananian in my foobars. A Better Tracklist imo.

Archived