IGNORED

AFRODEUTSCHE - Break Before Make (SKAM)

Some really nice old-school sounding dark beats from your favorite label. Skam has been killing it lately (between this and Fear Ratio).

Bleep writeup:

https://bleep.com/release/102442-afrodeutsche-break-before-make

Break Before Make is the debut album from Manchester-based Ghanaian/Russian/German artist AFRODEUTSCHE. A shining example of Skam Records doing what they do best, delivering some of the North of England's finest industrial leaning electro.

Currently holding down a regular must check NTS show and in recent years performed live on bills alongside some of Detroit's finest, Dopplereffekt and C2. AFRODEUTSCHE's debut album arrives in low key style via the legendary Northern powerhouse Skam. Musically, Break Before Make builds bridges between the Detroit techno and electro cornerstones of influence, yet this is music that views the motor city and Manchester in a similar way to the early Modern Love x Basic Channel Berlin connex. Parallels are drawn between the vast open landscapes of the spaces between both the D and MCR with a cold selection of funky radar bleep techno pulses. Beamed in with a joint love of UR, Drexciya and Mills but also the more electronic end of Factory Records, Marcus Intalex's deep liquid DNB and the early trouble at mill material of Pendle Coven and Andy Stott's Unknown Exception.

Break Before Make is a killer debut album form a name we are sure to be seeing more of in the future, for now, let's keep our fingers crossed for some vinyl on this one...

Cat number is a cassette, but no cassette available anywhere... :(

Lol, also why isn't this available in the Skam Bleepstore but you still can get it from the Bleep.com proper?

Anyway, this is lush as fuck. Skam releases seem a few and far between lately but always top quality.

• 7 months later...

i finally grabbed this last night when i went to grab the mira calix from bleep. that first track hooked me big time.  already listened through it twice this morning. it's really nice and hypnotic and kind of cinematic but has a groovy detached vibe. really digging it. it's minal and simple in some ways but complex or crafty in others. sleek but fuzzy. 

nice record. will be in heavy rotation 

Liked it ... but in the end I just put on Drexciya and UR instead.

Guess I'm growing old and jaded ...

Agreed. Not bad, but I'm not feeling it. Nothing stands out enough for me to listen to it. Is this middle of the road electronica? SKAM?

• 6 months later...

i'm still digging it a lot. i like it even more than when i first got into it. it's so groovy. nice hooks. but subtle and crafty. btw the afroduetsche mix on resident advisor (i think?) is really nice mix of new old techno electro  hip hop stype beats.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:40 AM, rhmilo said:

Liked it ... but in the end I just put on Drexciya and UR instead.

Guess I'm growing old and jaded ...

Welcome to the club. Playing Species of the Pod weekly for like 15 years...

• 1 year later...