IGNORED

LP5 - 20th anniversary

Chabraendeky

Then a frantic, stuttering beat launches, but it’s only a “beat” in the sense that it’s a percussive pattern.

harsh. sounds like a negative review tbh

“every sound is entirely computer-generated.”

long live music journalism.

FLMAO...

=X

Fuuuuuck... Gotta love little AE write ups.

=P

'They use computers!! And did you know there's a program called MAX/MSP!!! All you have to do is input a few numbers and BAM! Autechre...

THEY'RE MORE LIKE PROGRAMMERS!!!'

Dewt-da-doooooo....

Yeah that article is silly, but I'll take any excuse to pay some respects to one of the best albums ever made.

I've always oscillated between this and Confield being my favorite, LP5 as the lush pinnacle of their 90s material, and Confield as the deep dive into algorithmic soundscapes they would create post-2000.

It's also one of their warmest and most approachable albums to me, clicked instantly when I first heard it at age 15. I don't get why anyone considers it challenging. This is pop music.

Well it doesn't feel like 20 years.  I was working at a Japanese fast food place when I bought this CD.  It was a pretty good summer, all things considered.  I'm pretty sure I picked up "Brace Yourself" around the same time.

20 years. fug. 

i think the people currently writing about autechre are just young and didn't experience these releases in their time so they've no choice but to look backwards and try to experience them. i posted it on twitter anyways. 

there's a joke here somewhere...

edit: i always love LP5. there as a while when i didn't listen to it though. every track resolves so perfectly it made me feel edgy a bit.  took me a while to get over.  EP7 was good medicine. 

20 yrs! I (almost) feel old ;)

5 yrs was a lot of time in the '90 and early '00. I cant see things changing so fast in electronic music ever agin.

My first album purchase wasn't until New Years Day 1999 (Regurgitator's Unit), so in that music collector's sense it does feel a long time ago. The late 90s was a time when I was obsessed with the singles charts.

Oddly enough, LP5 is the one ae album I never went gaga over. All their other full-length releases (except for patches on elseq) have bowled me over, but LP5 remains just a good album to me, almost like clinical ae standards, a sort of science lab template.

It doesn't even make my 1998 top 10. I'd go something like;

1. Mezzanine (Massive Attack)

2. Is This Desire? (PJ Harvey)

3. Without You I'm Nothing (Placebo)

4. Ray of Light (Madonna)

5. Mermaid Avenue (Bragg & Wilco doing Guthrie)

6. Yield (Pearl Jam)

7. Black Star (Mos Def & Talib Kweli)

8. Compass Heart (Scala)

9. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (NMH)

10. The Living End (The Living End)

HM: Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, You've Come a Long Way Baby, LP5

Regurgitator's Unit

great album, though I'd put Art above it, only for I Love Tommy Mottola and Obtusian

also, Ray of Light and Living End above LP5? get outta here

Didn't think we'd be talking about Unit in this thread but it's a really good album. Catchy and fun AF m9

Also I did listen to LP5 today, it's been a while but it's of course great. Last couple moments in Drane2 is so pretty. Vose In has such a weird and unique vibe. Under BOAC struck me as similar to Maphive for some reason? Not sure why. Rae will always be a standout.

Regurgitator's Unit

great album, though I'd put Art above it, only for I Love Tommy Mottola and Obtusian

also, Ray of Light and Living End above LP5? get outta here

Yes, right up through the Jingles best of they were one of my favourite contemporary bands.

I actually still have that same Unit CD in my car funnily enough. After about 15 years away from it, I feared it wouldn't stand up all that well (I was only a little kid), but upon relistening in Jan '17 I fell in love with it much more than ever. A genuine classic, and agreed, a blast to listen to.

Anyway, don't mean to derail...

just gotta put this here because the video/song combo is IDM as fuck

ok, Regurgitator conversation aside, LP5 is one of those perfect albums imo. I feel like I don't need to listen to it as often anymore, but it was them at their most Nordy.. and basically the reason why I wanted a Nord Lead for so long (and finally got one last year).

Were there any interviews from around this time about the process of creating this? Were they using Max for sequencing this early on or was it still hardware?

Were there any interviews from around this time about the process of creating this? Were they using Max for sequencing this early on or was it still hardware?

I spammed my first album at Sean in chatmm when he was hanging out there during the AAA. This was in private chat. He was into it because I'd made it mostly from misusing the Noise Removal tool in Audacity and generating stuff from silence etc. He started talking about LP5 and abusing some plugin that is supposed to remove reverb? Tbh by that point I was way out of my depth and just doing the chatroom version of smiling, nodding and going "huh".

fold4,wrap5 birthday presents for lp5

my first ae album.. acroyear2, rae, f4w5 and corc are my faves and i love them forever..

i once dreamt that that silver-on-both-sides lp5 cd had a secret side B if you flipped it over..it was really good..

fold4,wrap5 birthday presents for lp5

my first ae album.. acroyear2, rae, f4w5 and corc are my faves and i love them forever..

i once dreamt that that silver-on-both-sides lp5 cd had a secret side B if you flipped it over..it was really good..

I actually tried it...

Archived