• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

im afraid that they will make shit out of it the way ridley scott did with the space jockey! Can’t they just leave us to imagine our own stories?! They just have to destroy everything good! Im not optimistic about this!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, xox said:

im afraid that they will make shit out of it the way ridley scott did with the space jockey! Can’t they just leave us to imagine our own stories?! They just have to destroy everything good! Im not optimistic about this!

I have to agree with you.

But, you never know! 🤞🤞

Edited by Pirtek
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

i'm all for some dune witchy stuff.. hopefully it doesn't have a game of thrones type pace/vibe/feel etc. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ignatius said:

i'm all for some dune witchy stuff.. hopefully it doesn't have a game of thrones type pace/vibe/feel etc. 

almost surely will have some GoT pacing/vibe…political games & manipulation are a huge part of the Bene Gesserit lore. 

trailer looks good tho, looks like they’re putting solid money into production/actors/etc. i’m into it. 

• Like 3

I wasn't aware of them making a tv series. I like the sound of this. Mark Strong and his beautiful bald noggin 😮‍💨

So 10.000 yrs later nothing changes? Same tech too? Same outfit too? Same shit too? 

• Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, xox said:

So 10.000 yrs later nothing changes? Same tech too? Same outfit too? Same shit too? 

i don't know the dune timeline or when the Ai war was and when they banned all "thinking machines". 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ignatius said:

i don't know the dune timeline or when the Ai war was and when they banned all "thinking machines". 

i just had to look it up, the Butlerian Jihad was about 200-400 years before this series seems to be set.

2 hours ago, xox said:

but yeah, the general tech* in the Dune universe (post Butlerian Jihad & pre-Scattering) was largely pretty static. Ix/Tleilax continued technological innovation in secret/open secret style... that stagnation is part of the larger story explored in parts 3-6 of the books (ignoring all the bullshit his kid wrote as we all should)

*tech here means how we generally refer to tech in a conversational way...a smartphone, new computers or vehicles, complex tools basically.... there was definitely some amount of innovation in the 'technology' of human ability and, for lack of a better word, powers. this was in the mentat and spice enhancements, genetic manipulation (see Bene Gesserit, Ixians, etc) and probably other things i'm forgetting about.

Edited by auxien
add asterisked clarifications
  • Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Someone said it earlier in this thread, but God Emperor of Dune would be some of the most hallucinogenic philosophical shit on a screen ever. An 8-part series of an immortal worm-human hybrid talking to itself would be immense.

• Like 2

Same, series like this always make me afraid because most of the time they are just cash-grabs. i don't want the Dune name stained!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading the book now after watching both films twice

Obviously a lot more detailed...Denis did an amazing job...the futuristic stuff is some of the best imo....hope the series doesn't get all medieval and lower the budget by eliminating the sci-fi aspects

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...