IGNORED

Dedicated Chatroom vs Discord

Joyrex

Discord or Dedicated Chat  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer having Discord, or would prefer a dedicated chatroom integrated into the forums again?

• Discord is fine
    • I would prefer a dedicated and integrated chatroom
    • What's Discord? *yells at cloud*

I really like the discord, but o understand why everyone has advocated for CHATMM. I have been keeping the discord room alive and building a character in there for the past 3 years -- please don't get rid of it! Wow!!!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I haven't ever been on the discord but I am nostalgic for CHATMM. I was not active on watmm when it went but I felt it all the same. I was in class and suddenly a deep dark pit opened up inside me and I instinctively knew what the world had lost that day.

• Burger 1

13 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

Honestly I want the worst option beause I personally wouldn't use any option that often anyway. But I'd like to see all the people who use it have a worse experience with it

sadistic.

2 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

Honestly I want the worst option beause I personally wouldn't use any option that often anyway. But I'd like to see all the people who use it have a worse experience with it

Geez, you kick puppies for fun as well?

8 hours ago, very honest said:

that feature list looks good.

Indeed - the new software offers a lot more than what the previous CHATMM did.

16 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

Dedicated chatroom. I'd like there to have some minor modicum of moderation against the alt-right stuff that is plaguing discord.

I used Discord briefly about a month ago and then left the server for that very reason.

I don't care what comes of CHATMM either way honestly. The only time I'm on there is immediately following a new Ae release or during one of their radio broadcasts.

Okay - so far, it looks like there is some appetite for bringing CHATMM back in a new form, so let me do the numbers and make sure we have the budget to purchase the addon and we'll implement it!

Any other comments/ideas are welcome.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 2:01 PM, darreichungsform said:

YATYLJF.png

On 5/21/2019 at 9:30 AM, Joyrex said:

Any other comments/ideas are welcome.

how about irc? i know some servers can easily be integrated to a website (eg. espernet) plus it gives the option to use a dedicated irc client. i've been on the watmm channel on freenode for a couple of years now

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

YATYLJF.png

how about irc? i know some servers can easily be integrated to a website (eg. espernet) plus it gives the option to use a dedicated irc client. i've been on the watmm channel on freenode for a couple of years now

The biggest issue with other software (like Discord) is the integration with the forum software just isn't there, and as the Discord has proven, that disconnect is detrimental to users. Plus, I don't think there are any IRC clients for iOS/Android, and mobile is becoming increasingly important as that's how a lot of WATMM users access the site:

image.pngimage.png

for irc, users can use mibbit which can run on any mac or pc browser,  ps3, wii or iphone. you also don't have to sign up.

there is also ircloud (available @ google playstore or appstore) which will keep you on irc indefinitely (idle)

irc for iphone? try mutter  or palaver which also works on ipad (or mibbit as seen above)

irc for android? androirc or anything from this list

here is a list of independent mac irc clients

windows there is mIRC or xchat/hexchat 

personally, i'd set up a bounce- then route into that from your favorite client. that way, you're always on irc and can chat or continue the chat even if you leave (with logs stored so you can still read up on what you missed when you were offline). it would basically be like being on the forum, but realtime chatting

Thanks for all the info and links, but I think we need something that is nearly seamless with the forum/site, uses the same accounts as the forum/site, and above all is easy as going to the forum/site.

• Like 1