https://j-e-t-s.bandcamp.com/album/zoospa

This is a tough one because there are some really well-executed moments of R&B&IDM on here. It's a rational split-the-check division between what you'd expect out of Jimmy Edgar and Machinedrum. But....these collabos. Something in my sclerotic brain begins to shut down. I really want to believe that's it not just being white and old--they're just not that great. I can't shake the feeling that this album is more about a showcase to attract production opportunities? Dunno. Can't reach the $9.99 purchase threshold just yet although "Team Effort" slaps.  

Love Machinedrum...yes the sound design is probably next level..flipped it off after like 3 seconds because those vocals are just unbearable (for me.....)

Love Machinedrum...yes the sound design is probably next level..flipped it off after like 3 seconds because those vocals are just unbearable (for me.....)

Vocals? There’s only 4 songs with vocalists and they’re all different people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re right, although some of the other tracks do include vocal samples. 

Will just take a pass on the tracks with featured vocalists cuz I personally find them cringey

Haven't listened to this in full yet, but those vocals are very off-putting indeed. Track 1 was promising though...

The only truly great stuff Jimmy ever did was My Mines I and Seual Dual (imo). Don't know Machinedrum.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:00 PM, xxx said:

I really want to believe that's it not just being white and old

Either was presented as a boy genius 15+ years ago and had a kind of kitschy, ambiguously sincere aesthetic. They've both got the chops (at least individually) to do more interesting things, but it's not surprising that they've cruised into this unchallenging neon Wes Anderson of post-trap thing. I expect that whatever supplants PC Music (which, at the moment, appears to be the algorave scene) is going to a much better job at this type of thing in the near future.

Mostly I'm hearing lots of LA Beat Scene (Iglooghost, Dorian Concept) with accents of circa 2014 Sophie and OPN. It's like they went influence shopping and found some comfy, reasonably stylish, if not cutting edge, threads. I agree that the collabs are a bit troubling too; they certainly seem like the kind of people who can let too many cooks in the kitchen.

"Team Effort" is the only standout to me, a good synthesis of the same influences throughout the rest, plus some well-integrated Drexciya vibes. I'm intrigued by the title and why they would choose that when the whole album is being presented as a team effort. Maybe this is a more fruitful place to focus their energies.

TL;DR I don't know that the pair knows how to be introverts together.

agree with xxx and sweepstakes, and not my earlier post in this thread (lol) Obviously the vocals, especially "KingJet" are very hard for me. That lackadaisical style of singing which is prevalent these days is grating beyond belief. My brain just shuts down. I know this to be a fault with the music and not me because im smart and beautiful and have good taste in music.

the instrumental tracks are quite fun at times, and obviously show off their production chops - which are ample. Will keep listening but I feel like my mind is already made up about the vocal tracks.

This definitely would have been a better album 5 years ago, seems a bit old now. But I don’t get what everyone’s saying about the vocals. At worst they’re fine. Ocean Ppl kind of sucks. But Dawn Richard on Potions is perfect, it’s just that it sounds like really good mainstream pop more than IDM or whatever. The thing that pisses me off on this album is when most of the tracks are just cut-up vocals and instrumentals. If they’d stuck to straight-up pop this could have been on the radio.

Well even Mykki Blanco couldn't save it. Well executed but boring for me though I love "Human Energy". Would love to hear both explore more experimental stuff like in the old days with this retro-neon sound palette.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:10 PM, gmanyo said:

This definitely would have been a better album 5 years ago, seems a bit old now. 

I've only heard the singles and I agree they are 50/50 of engaging and exciting sound design / tired tropes and safe arrangements. It's not bad, it's actually pretty good but I would not know it was Jimmy and Travis if I heard it blind. Not as unabashed as PC Music nor left-field or distinct as some of their peers.

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2019 at 9:53 AM, bendish said:

This is good. Fun. 

Just getting to this now, but very fun indeed. Feel like it's a sincere effort, situated between PC Music, Kelela's last LP, and Sophie's last LP. Drawn in by the sound design, stayed for the depth of ideas.

47 minutes ago, malaria said:

Just getting to this now, but very fun indeed. Feel like it's a sincere effort, situated between PC Music, Kelela's last LP, and Sophie's last LP. Drawn in by the sound design, stayed for the depth of ideas.

You’re making it sound bad with those comparisons ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived