IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

You've always been one of the most cringiest posters. I think the misguided pretentions plus the stating of obvious things and an inability to express yourself in words. What we get with you is the full package. The worst of both worlds. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Farnsworth 1

Just now, Schlitze said:

You've always been one of the most cringiest posters. I think the misguided pretentions plus the stating of obvious things and an inability to express yourself in words. What we get with you is the full package. The worst of both worlds. 

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Schlitze said:

And what do you think of the album? I know it isn’t cool to be earnest or to share any details about such things on a music forum, but I’m interested in knowing how people are experiencing it.

• Like 8

It's early but impressed with the detail. Most instant ones are psin am, sch. mefd, au14 and si00. The rest are fine too but still chipping away at them. These things take time. 

• Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, Schlitze said:

stop being a dick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

I'm a little concerned that this one will end up taking the back seat in my Ae rotation, perhaps even after Oversteps which I hardly ever listen to. I can't really think of any tracks that have enough excitement for me to just pick them and put them on randomly, it's kind of a self-contained album. Even Oversteps has Ilanders, Treale, D-sho Qub

As much as I appreciate their textures and sound design, I come to Ae for the intricate beats and composition, and I don't feel that in Sign much at all. Maybe my opinion will change in the future.

Edited by thehauntingsoul
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

OMG JUST NOTICED BLERP DL BUT WIFE @ HOME CANNOT LISTEN

pls

20 minutes ago, Amen Lare said:

Yo, i address loudly so errybody hears: it's named SIGN as in abbreviation, there's a difference there, do you also call Untilted Untitled coz who cares or what, we're in Ae subforum

My favourite album is Cornfield. 

1 hour ago, Bubba69 said:

This album is less a sequel to oversteps and more a sequel to quaristice. I don't know why, it just feels that way to me. I have no objective reasoning

Yes! I see that. Especially tracks like Notwo (this one especially), Altibzz, and Outh9X (and the more minimal 'overtly' synthy ambient ones off Quadrage, and Altichyre.) But also in other ways (like the approach to pacing and detail), it seems quite stylistically reflective of Quaristice.  

Edited by Lianne

Gave this two more complete listens today. I think I'm done with it. I'll probably listen again from time to time but this album just didn't have enough going on to demand attention. That's kind of strange because lots of the music I like is sort of drone/ambient in quality. It's got some nice sounds, textures etc. I'm glad they're still putting out stuff and maybe their next one will different again. But this album was a miss for me. It comes across as sort of like Oversteps but without the memorable melodies.

I can't really explain why I haven't warmed to it - it just doesn't do anything for me. Also, there are so many artists out there vying for attention that I'm just not that much of a hardcore AE fan that I just want to keep listening to it over and over (and over) again until I've convinced myself it's an amazing piece of work (which it isn't) IMO.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lianne said:

Yes! I see that. Especially tracks like Notwo (this one especially), Altibzz, and Outh9X (and the more minimal 'overtly' synthy ambient ones off Quadrage, and Altichyre.) But also in other ways (like the approach to pacing and detail), it seems quite stylistically reflective of Quaristice.  

Notwo is one of my fave tracks by the 'chre bros. First time I've heard it I was thinking how much I'd love an AE album fully in this vein. Although I doubt it is anything like Notwo I really look forward to listen to SIGN. In the meantime I'm re-listening NTS seshs and some other stuff by the bois.

I like it, it's unfurling nicely.

First few listens suffer under the weight of 'M4 Lema' (which reminds of 'Under BOAC', probably the beats) but the others begin to show themselves as they should.

• Like 3

M4 Lema, F7, schmefd 2 & gr4 doesn't do anything for me, the rest I like a lot. Not shure if I like the shorter track-lengths, I like looong jammy tracks that stays around for a while.  I'm curious about "the second album"...

si00, esc desc & r cazt get played the most around here.

3 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

OMG that's bad, because we all know Quaristice is their worst album. 

Quaristice has really grown on me! I was going through a lot of other new music by artists and came back to it after years and it seemed so imaginative, daring and vibey in light of the other electronic albums I was trying to get on with. Even tracks like Steels that I didn’t used to enjoy seemed pretty fascinating. I think now having a better sound system made a huge difference - the album has some amazing bass action. 
Still don’t get on with the second half as much as the first, though. But tracks 1-11 are a golden run. Simmm was an instant hit and still floors me. ?

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

OMG that's bad, because we all know Quaristice is their worst album. 

I’m not sure how you can say that. For me, Untilted is my fav single album. That one was a pretty sharp turn and had no eps or anything. But what it did have was the most ridiculous tour unlike anything they’d done before. The Untilted live set is boss level stuff. And Quaristice was born from those enourmous beasts. As was the Versions album, which should satisfy any complaining of the shorter track lengths from the regular album. The Quadrange EP is the best of the lot in those releases. And then the Quaristice tour was another level in ridiculous and relentless monster beat fuckery. The Quaristice era proper was one of the biggest turning points of their career and by no means should be considered the worst of anything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Lianne said:

This is where I seem to be now (I will cringe at this a few weeks from now no doubt):

this is dumb but i put on nts after having not listened to it for a year, and i never liked it, and now all i want is to listen to elyc9 7hres for the rest of my life. from start to finish. not sure what happened back then, curious if there will be other surprises later (first listen now). also gonk steady one stood out tonight as well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jules said:

I’m not sure how you can say that. For me, Untilted is my fav single album. That one was a pretty sharp turn and had no eps or anything. But what it did have was the most ridiculous tour unlike anything they’d done before. The Untilted live set is boss level stuff. And Quaristice was born from those enourmous beasts. As was the Versions album, which should satisfy any complaining of the shorter track lengths from the regular album. The Quadrange EP is the best of the lot in those releases. And then the Quaristice tour was another level in ridiculous and relentless monster beat fuckery. The Quaristice era proper was one of the biggest turning points of their career and by no means should be considered the worst of anything. 

I’m not as massive an autechre fan as most round these hurr parts so maybe not any value in me agreeing with you. But honestly I’ve never understood how much hate there is for quaristice as I quite enjoy that album. So many standout tracks on it.

90101-51, IO, Simmm, and perlence come to mind immediately as some of the most played and loved tracks of theirs in my books.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

Just now, danshoebridge said:

Has anyone noticed the vinyl release date on bleep is now Oct 30? CD still going out on 16 though.

Damn, no I think you’re the first to point that out. 

That sucks