Jump to content

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

primarily ambient autechre album

but it's good

 

3 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

reassured, all references have been autechreshed

 

That's good to hear, thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alco review by alco:   this is the new "autechre" album by them, the brothers. it's called "sign" which is short for "signs." i believe this is an m night shaymalan (or whatever) reference a

the autechre brothers. "the signs" in 2020. october. i forget the date. i'm meeting up with them, the "boys" of autechre. sean, the one who thinks its sick to make beats super wacky is smoking a cigar

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:
5 minutes ago, Rotwang said:

The positive reactions to this have me hyped, but the comparisons to OPN/BoC/several other artists I don't care for have me nervous. What am I in for?

primarily ambient autechre album

but it's good

To be fair I only heard the first 4 trax. They were good though. Maybe it’s less ambient after that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rotwang said:

The positive reactions to this have me hyped, but the comparisons to OPN/BoC/several other artists I don't care for have me nervous. What am I in for?

More or less, like a whole album's worth of very melodic AE, with a lot of new sounds to keep it fresh.  The nods to BoC, et al, are minimal, IMO.

Edited by tailings
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jamesqdot said:

No no... I can do that... previous post apparently not

? Still works here. All formats.

982963439_ScreenShot2020-10-08at8_05_21PM.png.eb03a553ff6a019f980e58d5a23d5e82.png

Did you buy it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fidelity of this new autechre is such high quality i'm already swimming in the vinyl and all i can hear is something matters in the audio. I'm only hearing a half of a second and it sounds good so far.

What time zone will the next play be aired i wanna dream to HEAR  a sign.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alien Sugar said:

The fidelity of this new autechre is such high quality i'm already swimming in the vinyl and all i can hear is something matters in the audio. I'm only hearing a half of a second and it sounds good so far.

What time zone will the next play be aired i wanna dream to HEAR  a sign.

It's not being aired again. It's already available for purchase and download...

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rotwang said:

 

 

That's good to hear, thanks.

more than ambient, it's the kosmiske according to R_S. And I found many suggestions of e0 or column thirteen but with a much richer condensed arrangement

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to (not) see a live show of this material presented in a really visceral way like the 2016 tour.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, giving this a second listen... admittedly, as much as I like the album as a whole, I do wish more of it was like the opening track. M4 Lema is perhaps the best balance of warm, melodic atmosphere and harsh, crunchy, noisey beats EVER.

As always everything they do just makes me even more curious about what they will put out in the future...

  • Like 5
  • Burger 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, springymajig said:

Alright, giving this a second listen... admittedly, as much as I like the album as a whole, I do wish more of it was like the opening track. M4 Lema is perhaps the best balance of warm, melodic atmosphere and harsh, crunchy, noisey beats EVER.

As always everything they do just makes me even more curious about what they will put out in the future...

here, on the fourth listening, only esc desc doesn't win me over (it relies on rather classical chords), but everything else creates a very identity atmosphere.
The sounds are outstanding. The mix has a more traditional balance, there are no choices that, at first listen, seem "mistakes" (I often find, in past works, elements that are too prominent - the kick or snare ... - which over time become perfectly natural), but I think it was a necessary choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, springymajig said:

Alright, giving this a second listen... admittedly, as much as I like the album as a whole, I do wish more of it was like the opening track. M4 Lema is perhaps the best balance of warm, melodic atmosphere and harsh, crunchy, noisey beats EVER.

As always everything they do just makes me even more curious about what they will put out in the future...

Yeah - it’s early days of course, but the opener is by far my favourite track. At this very early juncture it kind of towers above the rest.

On second listen, I realise the album is more minimal and hypnotic than I first felt. I don’t personally get the ‘Oversteps’ comparisons; sure, there’s some similar sounds, but apart from one or two pieces there’s not the overt layered melodic interplay that that album had. This seems to be its own new thing. It seems to be focused on chord stabs and textures swimming around those rather than plucky interweaving melodies. (If that makes sense.)

Its a brave album for sure, in that apart from the stunning opener and a few other sonic explosions it doesn’t wow you with overt complexity. It is about the sound and space in a way some of the beatless Quaristice tracks were to me (but with their new sound designs and a more fractured aspect - and some surprisingly ‘straight’ harmonies.)

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lianne said:

Its a brave album for sure, in that apart from the stunning opener and a few other sonic explosions it doesn’t wow you with overt complexity.

while the mixlr jams clearly show they're sitting on maybe hundreds of hours of this shit but yo, autechre do the fuck they please. good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamesqdot said:

Facepalm Amen Lare? Why?

There's a limited amount of options to show deep disagreement:

"More than any other other album this feels like a distillation of everything they've done previously"

It's simply not a distillation (nor could it be, they're not going in the same direction for that to be an appropriate figure of speech), i mean you may feel as you like of course, just a reaction

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

To be fair I only heard the first 4 trax. They were good though. Maybe it’s less ambient after that. 

More actually.  But its good :wink:

Edited by markedone
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

while the mixlr jams clearly show they're sitting on maybe hundreds of hours of this shit but yo, autechre do the fuck they please. good.

I don't see how it shows that, there's a lot of snippets of tracks we know going as far as Exai period and touching on live tracks, so it really shows that the released stuff is likely all that was in any polished state. They could develop some others further, not hundreds of hours

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my. It exceeded my expectations by so far, and those expectations were high. On second listen now...

THAENX!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Amen Lare said:

I don't see how it shows that, there's a lot of snippets of tracks we know going as far as Exai period and touching on live tracks, so it really shows that the released stuff is likely all that was in any polished state. They could develop some others further, not hundreds of hours

alright, was pulling numbers out my arse. still, it showcased its fair share of more percussion-driven, "drum-fuckery" stuff we hadn't heard before.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...