IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

17 minutes ago, Rotwang said:

That's good to hear, thanks.

more than ambient, it's the kosmiske according to R_S. And I found many suggestions of e0 or column thirteen but with a much richer condensed arrangement

Alright, giving this a second listen... admittedly, as much as I like the album as a whole, I do wish more of it was like the opening track. M4 Lema is perhaps the best balance of warm, melodic atmosphere and harsh, crunchy, noisey beats EVER.

As always everything they do just makes me even more curious about what they will put out in the future...

• Like 5
  • Burger 1

13 minutes ago, springymajig said:

Alright, giving this a second listen... admittedly, as much as I like the album as a whole, I do wish more of it was like the opening track. M4 Lema is perhaps the best balance of warm, melodic atmosphere and harsh, crunchy, noisey beats EVER.

As always everything they do just makes me even more curious about what they will put out in the future...

here, on the fourth listening, only esc desc doesn't win me over (it relies on rather classical chords), but everything else creates a very identity atmosphere.
The sounds are outstanding. The mix has a more traditional balance, there are no choices that, at first listen, seem "mistakes" (I often find, in past works, elements that are too prominent - the kick or snare ... - which over time become perfectly natural), but I think it was a necessary choice.

18 minutes ago, springymajig said:

Yeah - it’s early days of course, but the opener is by far my favourite track. At this very early juncture it kind of towers above the rest.

On second listen, I realise the album is more minimal and hypnotic than I first felt. I don’t personally get the ‘Oversteps’ comparisons; sure, there’s some similar sounds, but apart from one or two pieces there’s not the overt layered melodic interplay that that album had. This seems to be its own new thing. It seems to be focused on chord stabs and textures swimming around those rather than plucky interweaving melodies. (If that makes sense.)

Its a brave album for sure, in that apart from the stunning opener and a few other sonic explosions it doesn’t wow you with overt complexity. It is about the sound and space in a way some of the beatless Quaristice tracks were to me (but with their new sound designs and a more fractured aspect - and some surprisingly ‘straight’ harmonies.)

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Lianne said:

Its a brave album for sure, in that apart from the stunning opener and a few other sonic explosions it doesn’t wow you with overt complexity.

while the mixlr jams clearly show they're sitting on maybe hundreds of hours of this shit but yo, autechre do the fuck they please. good.

1 hour ago, Jamesqdot said:

Facepalm Amen Lare? Why?

There's a limited amount of options to show deep disagreement:

"More than any other other album this feels like a distillation of everything they've done previously"

It's simply not a distillation (nor could it be, they're not going in the same direction for that to be an appropriate figure of speech), i mean you may feel as you like of course, just a reaction

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

To be fair I only heard the first 4 trax. They were good though. Maybe it’s less ambient after that. 

More actually.  But its good :wink:

Edited by markedone

17 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

while the mixlr jams clearly show they're sitting on maybe hundreds of hours of this shit but yo, autechre do the fuck they please. good.

I don't see how it shows that, there's a lot of snippets of tracks we know going as far as Exai period and touching on live tracks, so it really shows that the released stuff is likely all that was in any polished state. They could develop some others further, not hundreds of hours

Oh my. It exceeded my expectations by so far, and those expectations were high. On second listen now...

THAENX!!!

23 minutes ago, Amen Lare said:

I don't see how it shows that, there's a lot of snippets of tracks we know going as far as Exai period and touching on live tracks, so it really shows that the released stuff is likely all that was in any polished state. They could develop some others further, not hundreds of hours

alright, was pulling numbers out my arse. still, it showcased its fair share of more percussion-driven, "drum-fuckery" stuff we hadn't heard before.

this album is so fucking good.

instantly reminds me of bits of Confield in how sorta out-of-nowhere it seems at times, and that album's pushing at the edges in distinct ways. and obviously some touches of Oversteps and the more recent stuff sound-wise...but also too calls back in many ways to early Incunabula, Amber, Garbage, etc. with bits of Chiastic and LP5, EP7....just, yeah, a lot of their past is obviously in all their work but it seems that they're very comfortable with that here. this is a very confident album.

and also my god thank fuck this feels like an album. it really does. nothing wrong with the recent sprawling longform releases, love much of them, but this is imo more powerful in a lot of ways. definitely on first listen, this feels very focused and exacting for the most part. instantly evocative. 

also the mixing and layering is really strange and interesting. album art really is weak af compared to how great this music is. just doesn't match at all first impressions hearing it.

really impressed with this overall tho. absolutely lush as fuck.

• Like 10

so lush. it's heavy to me. it'll be interesting as it ages. it's so different in some ways. 

i hope the 2nd album that sean mentioned does come forth like Oversteps + moves Of Ten..  I'm curious what the counterpoint or addendum or whatever.. will sound like??? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, auxien said:

this album is so fucking good.

instantly reminds me of bits of Confield in how sorta out-of-nowhere it seems at times, and that album's pushing at the edges in distinct ways. and obviously some touches of Oversteps and the more recent stuff sound-wise...but also too calls back in many ways to early Incunabula, Amber, Garbage, etc. with bits of Chiastic and LP5, EP7....just, yeah, a lot of their past is obviously in all their work but it seems that they're very comfortable with that here. this is a very confident album.

and also my god thank fuck this feels like an album. it really does. nothing wrong with the recent sprawling longform releases, love much of them, but this is imo more powerful in a lot of ways. definitely on first listen, this feels very focused and exacting for the most part. instantly evocative. 

also the mixing and layering is really strange and interesting. album art really is weak af compared to how great this music is. just doesn't match at all first impressions hearing it.

really impressed with this overall tho. absolutely lush as fuck.

however, we must admit that, as we have seen the graphics, we immediately thought the album of fucking love

Edited by Draft78
  • Confused 1