IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

nah TB-3 was shit. well aliasy when you were peaking the acid with high resonance. generally just didn't really like it tbh, looks weird, touch screen ting is wank and they made a worse sounding 303 than audiorealism which is pretty bad seeing as they're roland. my mate's got a TT303 and it's much betterer.

whilst most people would probably be happy with a 101 and 202, i'm afraid i need to complete the set and get a (fake) 303. also there is of course nothing that sounds like a 303 - 101 and 202 are great bass synths and make fine acid noises, but it's still not the same really. anyway, fuck it, i'm getting a TT303 (or maybe an acidlab bassline or x0xb0x, prob the TT303 though tbh).

Edited by BCM

nah TB-3 was shit. well aliasy when you were peaking the acid with high resonance. generally just didn't really like it tbh, looks weird, touch screen ting is wank and they made a worse sounding 303 than audiorealism which is pretty bad seeing as they're roland. my mate's got a TT303 and it's much betterer.

I'd love to have a real TB-303 or even a clone, but I'm happy with the TB-3. I'm not usually using the original saw/square sounds though, mostly some of the distorted presets or the completely mangled non-303 type sounds.

Do you use an external sequencer? If that thing on the bottom left of the frame is a sequencer, I'm not familiar with it.

Edited by Guest

yeah that's what i was kind of thinking anyway... acidlab sounds a bit shit on the demos i've seen, compared to the tt303 and x0xb0x anyway.

That's nice man, although a bit rolandcentric. Why not consider a different mono for acid? So many fine sounding liquid synths out there.

I was advised to post this link in here as this is where i'm most active ha.

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/90841-zoomthelineandeye-11/

man, i've had fuck loads of synths...tried all sorts of different things and set-ups. i finally just realised that all i really wanted was a shit load of old roland stuff. i've just sold loads of non-roland gear (including a modular) to fund this change. all i ever ended up doing was trying to get my non roland stuff sounding like roland stuff, thought i should stop fucking about and get the real thing.

Guest Chesney

ha that's totally fair man. If you are after "that" sound then you know what to get.

I have been trying to find a good analogue poly myself and not having much luck. The JP4 I have is so perfect if it was only 6 voice.

Borrowed a mates Prophet 6 for a few weeks while he's away and it's amazing but not sure it's wowed me enough to spend 2k.

I'd love to have a real TB-303 or even a clone, but I'm happy with the TB-3. I'm not usually using the original saw/square sounds though, mostly some of the distorted presets or the completely mangled non-303 type sounds.

Do you use an external sequencer? If that thing on the bottom left of the frame is a sequencer, I'm not familiar with it.

yeah that's a yamaha QX7 sequencer which i do use for sequencing anything that doesn't have a built-in sequencer (everything in the pic apart from the drum station does though, and the drum station is being sequenced by the 626 anyway). i need a new polysynth with midi out to feed the QX7 notes though and I just sold my old one, so it's currently sitting idle. not for long though...

ha that's totally fair man. If you are after "that" sound then you know what to get.

I have been trying to find a good analogue poly myself and not having much luck. The JP4 I have is so perfect if it was only 6 voice.

Borrowed a mates Prophet 6 for a few weeks while he's away and it's amazing but not sure it's wowed me enough to spend 2k.

yeah i'd love a juno 106 but for a really nice one it's looking like £800+ and not sure i want to spend that much. hence considering the JXs and the JD800.... i've always wanted a JD800...so many sliders!

Edited by BCM

i'm not too fussed about everything being analogue so am happy to consider VA or digital... AN1X is also on the list. decisions decisions.

yeah used to have a micron which sounded great but i got a bit fed up with the editing and ended up just using the presets a lot, which were a bit shit, so i sold it... ideally i'd like something with no, or limited presets as i get distracted by them

Guest Chesney

Presets are the worst thing about synths. This Prophet is loaded full with them, what a waste of sound. I can see the need for them of course but they should just make one or two banks for people to see what you can do and give them enough inspiration to dig in and learn to make their own sounds.

yeah that's what i was kind of thinking anyway... acidlab sounds a bit shit on the demos i've seen, compared to the tt303 and x0xb0x anyway.

I've used my Acidlab M303 and Nina's two x0x hearts, and all three sound very TB-303-like to me, though it's been probably well over a decade since I had one of those, so maybe I'm misremembering. For example:

Avoid the Acidlab, you'll be disappointed. Get a TT303 or a xOxbOx instead.

If you get a x0xb0x it's absolutely worth the extra expense to upgrade the CPU and install n0nx0x

I used mine vanilla for a bit, then with MarOS (which is much better) for quite a while, but n0nx0x puts it really close to the real thing.

EDIT: the new front panels that came out last winter are top shelf, too.

Edited by RSP

27522387936_d6b76bcfa7_z.jpgPro 2 by polygon window, on Flickr

I've really grown to like this synth. Its presets are pretty shit aside from showcasing the depth of the mods - but I've been making patches like a mofo on this thing lately. I'll have to get around to posting some samples soon. It can pretty much hit all ends of the spectrum. I wish the sequencer was designed differently, but I love having it be able to receive a clock while being a hub for CV outs. I haven't looked at a DAW in months, which has been a nice change.

My studio is in disarray as you can see by the modded jx3p + pg200 on the ground behind the pro 2. I've got a glockenspiel down there too it looks like.

I got a Korg SV-1 a while back from my old roommate who bought it but left it here with me as I used it more. It's really awesome to have a bread and butter electric piano with tube saturation and weighted keys. It's been a lovely addition - plug it into some reverb and delay before hitting the mixer for maximum space music sounds!

c'mon BCM. take the extra few months and get the real deal. all your other shit is genuine, might as well? not like they'll drop in value anytime soon.

(would never buy a 303 myself, but I'm not going for that kinda setup anyway. :))) x0xb0x is recommended.)

cheers zoe, yeah on your demo there it sounds a lot more 303 like... maybe i'll draw straws

And in the interest of being balanced, here's Nina's x0x hearts in action:

Again, they sound sufficiently acidic to me. :)