IGNORED

NFTs for music / auction music to the highest bidder via crypto tech

auxien

I've been trying all week to rationalize to myself the fact that I might actually try to get on this before the bubble bursts.

The most so far is "it's unethical to NOT grift crypto-bros."

• Farnsworth 1

i don't understand this. today's brain fog makes it hard to track but it all seems imaginary but perhaps that's a failing of my imagination. 

edit: oh. ok. reuters helped. wtf. 

Edited by ignatius

HERE IS THE ARTICLE YOU CAN SEND TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY SAY “BUT THE ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES WITH CRYPTOART WILL BE SOLVED SOON, RIGHT?”

Digital artists have media that can proliferate over a network and be held by many people at once without cheapening or breaking the aura of a first-hand experience. It is the one true benefit to working in digital space.

I’m horrified to see this willingly traded for an opportunity to reproduce the worst parts of the existing physical art market, where “the original” is useful foremost as a rare thing- a unique thing- that, in its scarcity, is an asset.

I doubt it will be very long before there is a “more ethical” NFT marketplace, one that has taken these steps to ensure a slower, more considered NFT minting and selling model.

But cryptocurrency and cryptoart are not bad for the environment accidentally- they are not bolted onto this blundering machine and cannot just be taken off (the technology of a proof of work-based system almost guarantees this). Fundamentally, cryptocurrency AND cryptoart are valuable because they burn energy. Because they turn sunk energy cost into futures.

If that is the value system we are building, we are doomed.

https://medium.com/@everestpipkin/but-the-environmental-issues-with-cryptoart-1128ef72e6a3

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

grimes just made $6 million from an album released as an NFT

https://niftygateway.com/collections/warnymphvolume1open

also. related to the article linked by@auxien

"A percentage of proceeds from the sales will be donated to environmental NGO Carbon 180, presumably in an attempt to offset the electricity and carbon dioxide consumed by using blockchain technology. As climate activist Joanie Lemercier previously estimated, however, a prior auction for just two pieces of art on Nifty Gateway burned the equivalent of 49 years of electricity consumption and 103,129 Kg of CO2 emissions."

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Burger 1

11 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

"A percentage of proceeds from the sales will be donated to environmental NGO Carbon 180, presumably in an attempt to offset the electricity and carbon dioxide consumed by using blockchain technology. As climate activist Joanie Lemercier previously estimated, however, a prior auction for just two pieces of art on Nifty Gateway burned the equivalent of 49 years of electricity consumption and 103,129 Kg of CO2 emissions."

isn't her baby daddy the richest man in the galaxy?

not that she doesn't need to make a living.. but is it necessary to exploit everything all the time? i guess so.. what are we living in? 

ae el seq 6 NFT gotta be worth a half million to someone. 

Edited by ignatius

9 hours ago, Nebraska said:

image.thumb.png.f17988ab72394d673b88f5ce6617a847.png

love the text here. shows the level of quality the site is being held to, definitely a trustworthy place. 

9 hours ago, ignatius said:

not that she doesn't need to make a living.. but is it necessary to exploit everything all the time? i guess so.. what are we living in? 

the end times

9 hours ago, ignatius said:

ae el seq 6 NFT gotta be worth a half million to someone. 

maybe so, if they held all the good elseq tracks back for 6. 1-5 weren't even worth the $40 or whatever i paid 

:trollface:

• Sad 1

It's fine, Kings of Leon are now on it too so all the kool kidz will now want to move onto something else for their memes. (polaroid photos of rainbows, but digital , but on vinyl maybe ?) 

• Haha 1

all this stuff makes it seem less and less likely that my baseball card collection is ever going to make me rich some day. 

• Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, realthanks said:

the digital art market has to be a money laundering operation at this point

no sane mind is buying $100k NFTs to own pepe the frog vectors, right? right?

didn't someone tape a banana to a wall in  2019 for art? 

8 minutes ago, ignatius said:

didn't someone tape a banana to a wall in  2019 for art? 

then someone walked up and ate it

• Farnsworth 1

don't even know where to begin on this fucking multilayered meta shit+irony sandwich.

https://news.bitcoin.com/burned-original-banksy-morons-print-nft/

“The reason behind this is because if we had the NFT and the physical piece, the value would be primarily in the physical piece. By removing the physical piece from existence and only having the NFT, it makes sure the NFT due to the smart contract on the blockchain will ensure that no one can alter the piece, and it is the true piece that exists in the world.”

The Burnt Banksy representative added:

"By doing this the value of the physical piece will be moved onto the NFT and being the only way you can have this piece anymore. The goal here is to inspire, we want to inspire technology enthusiasts and we want to inspire artists. We want to explore a new medium of artistic expression."

• Facepalm 4

On 2/23/2021 at 10:33 AM, Alcofribas said:

now charging for my posts, please do not read them unless you are ready with your digital wallets

jack is auctioning off his first (and the first) tweet on twitter

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

jack is auctioning off his first (and the first) tweet on twitter

one of the rare times when "jack" and "off" can be used in a sentence without going there

• Haha 1

"I see what going on, and it’s just exploding. I wanted my fans that are living in the digital world to be able to get a piece of this action." Rob Gronkowski

Gronkowski’s NFTs will be available on the Ethereum blockchain, where Dapper started its CryptoKitties game. The collectibles are four moments, 87 editions each, from Gronkowski’s appearances in Super Bowl XLIX, Super Bowl LI, Super Bowl LIII and February’s Super Bowl LV. Along with the 348 NFTs, one “refractor card” will be auctioned, too. The owner of this NFT will receive a meet and greet with Gronkowski at an NFL game next season.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/09/rob-gronkowski-will-sell-nfts-of-his-best-super-bowl-moments.html

i'm looking into auctioning off a few of my retweets - especially the ones i no longer "like". opening bids start 1.85btc

• Burger 1