IGNORED

NFTs for music / auction music to the highest bidder via crypto tech

auxien

I'm so confused. I've read a couple articles about NFTs and I'm still not sure what the fuck is going on. 

Is this all just a hassle or is it worthwhile?

I remember the first time I heard about bitcoin was on watmm. People were like "oh whatevz. I'll buy 100 bitcoins and see what happens. It will be like going to vegas.".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

My mind just jumps right to the environmental impact, I don't give a shit about any of the rest of it - the whole idea is ludicrous. Anything that uses this much energy should not be growing in popularity like this. 

Reading about it i'm not sure if the environmental aspect matters this much in this context, it seems the same energy would be used by Etherium regardless of NFT-craze operations, and the technology is also on the verge of transitioning to a new standard already in place that very significantly lowers electricity usage. So the industry adapts on the fly unlike in anything else.

Also hydroelectric power plants in China that largely feed the calculations possibly have no other use as it's logistically unprofitable to other industries. It's kinda gatekeepingly to talk about environmental abuse of this possibly folk-liberating new crypto thing while the big boys controlling the economy are still in play.

Not defending the NFT bullshit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I'm so confused. I've read a couple articles about NFTs and I'm still not sure what the fuck is going on. 

Is this all just a hassle or is it worthwhile?

I remember the first time I heard about bitcoin was on watmm. People were like "oh whatevz. I'll buy 100 bitcoins and see what happens. It will be like going to vegas.".

NFT's are for clueless guys what QAnon is for clueless moms. Just present people some half baked story about saving the planet. This time using a mixture of technology and economy, instead of stolen kids. It's mind crack for youngsters who appear to just fall for that shit, it appears.

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1

You are buying the fact that you made a specific transaction, that’s pretty much it. “Look! See in that public ledger where 0xDEADBEEF sent 0xABCD1234 50 units? That’s me!” Some people are finding value in that.

It’s the ultimate wealth flex.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

Reading about it i'm not sure if the environmental aspect matters this much in this context, it seems the same energy would be used by Etherium regardless of NFT-craze operations, and the technology is also on the verge of transitioning to a new standard already in place that very significantly lowers electricity usage. So the industry adapts on the fly unlike in anything else.

the 'new standard' has been used as a cop out for years. it's not happened yet, and won't for ETH. people supporting ETH/NFTs don't want that, they're all in on their tokens. 

the 'same energy would be used' is also bullshit, because the whole popularization of NFTs feeds the larger NFT/ETH/BTC/Doge Coin/etc. hype as a whole, and every actual dollar some idiot puts into it feeds its way up to the miners, who gain more power to then feed the beast further. it's a pyramid scheme, buying into it at all contributes.

9 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

Also hydroelectric power plants in China that largely feed the calculations possibly have no other use as it's logistically unprofitable to other industries. It's kinda gatekeepingly to talk about environmental abuse of this possibly folk-liberating new crypto thing while the big boys controlling the economy are still in play.

dunno about you, but i can walk and chew gum at the same time. crypto is a hype scam, and also environmental abuse in general by me and everyone else using gas in our cars and air conditioning in our houses is also bad and destroying the environment. 

oh, and fuck Aphex, and CPU Records. 

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, zkom said:

CPU Records now? :facepalm:

they took their tweet down, btw. haven't said anything tho. :fear:

anyway now your account can get hacked and NFTs resold out in the open and nothing will come of it, of course. because none of it is real. twitter thread:

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, auxien said:

they took their tweet down, btw. haven't said anything tho. :fear:

anyway now your account can get hacked and NFTs resold out in the open and nothing will come of it, of course. because none of it is real. twitter thread:

h4x0r3d  h4x0r3d  h4x0r3d  h4x0r3d   h4x0r3d h4x0r3d  h4x0r3d  h4x0r3d  h4x0r3d  h4x0r3d

hackerman strikes again. 

4d7.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

still trying to wrap my dinosaur brain around some of this...remember when RZA sold that Wu-Tang album on vinyl, which apparently was the only one in existence, on an online auction to that tech bro guy for like 2 million dollars? is there a comparison to this NFT crap that could be made here? except with NFT's you have to pay using crypto, and you don't get to hold a vinyl album...instead you get a digital file. 

is that rationale correct?  

• Farnsworth 1

Flol @ that guy going down to his precinct to report the theft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, zero said:

still trying to wrap my dinosaur brain around some of this...remember when RZA sold that Wu-Tang album on vinyl, which apparently was the only one in existence, on an online auction to that tech bro guy for like 2 million dollars? is there a comparison to this NFT crap that could be made here? except with NFT's you have to pay using crypto, and you don't get to hold a vinyl album...instead you get a digital file. 

sortakindaish, but not close enough that this comparison alone quite captures all the important parts. i really wish i could explain it better, there's maybe some memes that key in on things better but the complexity is also greatened because of differences between the different currencies/marketplaces/etc. 

best i could say is do a bit more reading....this article was pretty good imo, it's sectioned off well if you just want to focus on one piece of things (cryptoart has its own section):  

On 3/3/2021 at 6:42 PM, auxien said:

HERE IS THE ARTICLE YOU CAN SEND TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY SAY “BUT THE ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES WITH CRYPTOART WILL BE SOLVED SOON, RIGHT?”

https://medium.com/@everestpipkin/but-the-environmental-issues-with-cryptoart-1128ef72e6a3

Edited by auxien
  • Thanks 2

On 3/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, auxien said:

the 'new standard' has been used as a cop out for years. it's not happened yet, and won't for ETH. people supporting ETH/NFTs don't want that, they're all in on their tokens.

It's been seriously discussed for years involving academics, it seems, so we can only judge by the result. Currently i agree. If there's a known way how to minimize power consumption 100x times (if not in ETH then in other similar crypto), that is not something you can say about other power-hungry alternative industries (and crypto is alternative to fiat money at least, which is something that's in need to be addressed, hence Satoshi's white paper in 2008). It's not like these people you mention decide on the path, it's still a competitive field.

the 'same energy would be used' is also bullshit, because the whole popularization of NFTs feeds the larger NFT/ETH/BTC/Doge Coin/etc. hype as a whole, and every actual dollar some idiot puts into it feeds its way up to the miners, who gain more power to then feed the beast further. it's a pyramid scheme, buying into it at all contributes.

Same energy is a process condition, the process itself won't be abandoned without NFT as it existed in the same way before NFT. The "every dollar put" argument is on a larger scale of necessity of using crypto at all, and that depends on your assessment of fiat money which is bullshit and pyramidal as well and possibly coming to a collapsing crisis, and we have nothing better than crypto for viable substitution.

dunno about you, but i can walk and chew gum at the same time. crypto is a hype scam, and also environmental abuse in general by me and everyone else using gas in our cars and air conditioning in our houses is also bad and destroying the environment. 

(I can't) I'm talking about applying the enviromental critique to the fresh industry which in order to become influential enough has to play by the same rules the old industries were built on, while it's not the new one who created the presumably bad situation. By denying them the opportunity to be dirty for a while, we only defend the status quo. The ecological solution is only possible being implemented by the old players and they were not ecological the whole time.

41 minutes ago, zero said:

You are buying the fact that you sent someone money. That’s it.

You can add a bunch of cryptobro jargon like “non fungible” and “smart contract” etc but those are just implementation details. The value is transferred to buy a fact that you transferred value.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 9:10 AM, auxien said:

oh, and fuck Aphex, and CPU Records. 

the energy is simply being created in a neutral way, as a natural process. it's gatekeeping to be against mother nature.

31 minutes ago, Amen Lare said:

I'm talking about applying the enviromental critique to the fresh industry which in order to become influential enough has to play by the same rules the old industries were built on, while it's not the new one who created the presumably bad situation. By denying them the opportunity to be dirty for a while, we only defend the status quo. The ecological solution is only possible being implemented by the old players and they were not ecological the whole time.

it's simply wild people believe this imo. crypto simply must be massively destructive to compete with the status quo as the only viable alternative, viz., it must basically replicate some of the worst aspects of the current system in order to eventually do a completely 180 and actually become a better alternative. in the future, all the bad stuff will go away. absolutely. stonksolutely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

It's been seriously discussed for years involving academics, it seems, so we can only judge by the result. Currently i agree. If there's a known way how to minimize power consumption 100x times (if not in ETH then in other similar crypto), that is not something you can say about other power-hungry alternative industries (and crypto is alternative to fiat money at least, which is something that's in need to be addressed, hence Satoshi's white paper in 2008). It's not like these people you mention decide on the path, it's still a competitive field.

Same energy is a process condition, the process itself won't be abandoned without NFT as it existed in the same way before NFT. The "every dollar put" argument is on a larger scale of necessity of using crypto at all, and that depends on your assessment of fiat money which is bullshit and pyramidal as well and possibly coming to a collapsing crisis, and we have nothing better than crypto for viable substitution.

(I can't) I'm talking about applying the enviromental critique to the fresh industry which in order to become influential enough has to play by the same rules the old industries were built on, while it's not the new one who created the presumably bad situation. By denying them the opportunity to be dirty for a while, we only defend the status quo. The ecological solution is only possible being implemented by the old players and they were not ecological the whole time.

very well said, applies to many topics of capital development

I'm disappointed in the mining process by only the means that it feels like lazy pointless engineering to me. I am more impressed with the way cardano solved it via ouroboros. I wish there was a coin we could hook up to Folding@home and use crypto to actually solve cancer or covid19.

• Like 3