IGNORED

Feed Me Weird Things 25th Anniversary Remaster

dna42

Rate My Weird Things  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favourite Track(s) on Feed Me Weird Things?

• Squarepusher Theme
    • Tundra
    • The Swifty
    • Dimotane Co
    • Smedleys Melody
    • Windscale 2
    • North Circular
    • Goodnight Jade
    • Theme From Ernest Borgnine
    • U.F.O.'s Over Leytonstone
    • Kodack
    • Future Gibbon
    • Theme from Goodbye Renaldo
    • Deep Fried Pizza

7 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

LOL. 

That case is different because it was never mastered in the first place

? ? 

tbh I fully agree with ya. I’m just hoping this remaster in particular is a bit diff - I’ve upgraded my home system quite a bit so between new dap and equipment I’m kinda hoping these remasters are like icing on the cake ?‍♂️

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be blindly optimistic, but just because there's no previously unreleased stuff on here it doesn't mean we wont ever see any from that period. It's a pretty solid package with the Squarepusher Plays tunes on there. Would love it if those really early Tom Jenkinson records (Stereotype EP, Dragon Disk 2, etc)  got a bit of compilation attention too... That's definitely an element of my completist side coming through though. 

Did anyone consider that Tom might channel his inner George Lucas and really go ham on this remaster? Imagine a Fruity Loops style effects suite called "Ufabulizer". Sidechained, squashed and bricked into right and left pylons hahaha.

• Farnsworth 1

On 4/27/2021 at 1:25 PM, Stickfigger said:

I dunno. I'm basically against the idea of remasters altogether.  I've never heard a remaster and thought 'wow, i'm really glad this exists'

I have. two that immediately spring to mind are Godflesh's Streetcleaner and Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, both were excellently remastered in a way that preserved the sound and intent of the originals while adding more strength. I agree that most remasters seem boring and not that different to the original, but when it's done right it can be a real improvement in quality.

• Like 3

just as an example, and with the caveat of youtube-shittified audio:

original:

remaster:

more oomph

I guess it's an important factor also that the older a given record is, the more potential there is for it to shine in a remaster with newer technology/techniques (which I don't understand as a practice at all, to be clear, I just like what I hear in the final results).

• Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 5:25 AM, Stickfigger said:

I dunno. I'm basically against the idea of remasters altogether.  I've never heard a remaster and thought 'wow, i'm really glad this exists'

It really depends on the purpose : sheer marketing to recash on old material, stupid loudness war or finally offering a proper mastering to a musical piece.

But I hear you 100%, most of times I don’t want a record I’ve loved for a while to sound any different. There are some exceptions though : restored / remixed Whooshkie would drive me nuts. 

I’ve yet to dare listening to that 1st extract, Theme from Ernest Borgnine being one of my favorite tunes ever. Sames goes for Tundra.

On 4/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, d-a-m-o said:

Because Werp.

Because of Tom maybe ? As far as we can tell, he’s been sitting on some of his best material ever (Warp20 anyone ?) for almost two decades, yet to be released.

1 hour ago, usagi said:

just as an example, and with the caveat of youtube-shittified audio:

original:

remaster:

more oomph

I guess it's an important factor also that the older a given record is, the more potential there is for it to shine in a remaster with newer technology/techniques (which I don't understand as a practice at all, to be clear, I just like what I hear in the final results).

Rather than new techniques / tools / process, it might be the fidelity of the new capture from the original DATs that might make a significant difference here. Mastering engineers already knew their craft in the 90’s ;)

Of course DSP has improved a billion times since then.

Edited by Nil

8 hours ago, pizza said:

The clone drexciya remasters are good

Yeah those sound great. Im actually the opposite - I'm all for remasters, even if they're 'unnecessary'. Best case scenario - Breathes new life into music you already love, makes you listen in a new way, notice new things, etc. Worst case scenario - you don't care for it and just stick with the original. 

I guess I just don't really see the negatives.

• Like 4

On 5/6/2021 at 5:51 PM, NI64 said:

Yeah those sound great. Im actually the opposite - I'm all for remasters, even if they're 'unnecessary'. Best case scenario - Breathes new life into music you already love, makes you listen in a new way, notice new things, etc. Worst case scenario - you don't care for it and just stick with the original. 

I guess I just don't really see the negatives.

remastering seems a catch-all term for reissuing an old recording with a different sound. it's not necessarily an improvement, because of various factors which seem to include ... a different ear on the person doing the new master, lost sources or recording limitations. last round of led zeppelin remasters included vinyl pressed from digital files, which seemed to slip-out of jimmy page's mouth after the release date. widely known that many new LP pressings are derived from masters for CDs, i think. try the metallica remasters also - thin as hell, and include caviat in the liner notes that the recording's are shocking. it's just too widely assumed it will always be an improvement. it's not - it's certainly likely to be different, though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 9:54 AM, logboy said:

remastering seems a catch-all term for reissuing an old recording with a different sound. it's not necessarily an improvement, because of various factors which seem to include ... a different ear on the person doing the new master, lost sources or recording limitations. last round of led zeppelin remasters included vinyl pressed from digital files, which seemed to slip-out of jimmy page's mouth after the release date. widely known that many new LP pressings are derived from masters for CDs, i think. try the metallica remasters also - thin as hell, and include caviat in the liner notes that the recording's are shocking. it's just too widely assumed it will always be an improvement. it's not - it's certainly likely to be different, though.

true but in this instance i'm hype. fmwt revisited by tom 25 years later and sounding like this is kind of huge

happy belated birthday X4creek

My copy arrived today, thank lord Satan that bleep did a good job with the internal packaging because the outside got beat up pretty bad during shipping.  I can finally retire my original copy and looking forward to listening to a new remastered version.

or happy bday today bud

• Thanks 1