IGNORED

Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?

cern

Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?

• Yes of course, freaking love it all give me it already!
    • Yes sure, but could have been a little bit longer or more tracks!
    • Yes, but I was expecting an Album or something bigger and not a EP only!
    • No, it feels lame with all QR-campaigns for only a short EP!
    • No, After waiting many years Im so disappointed at this release!
    • I don't even care about this Aphex Twin Dude!

i’m a little to old to give a fuck about chasing qr codes and tracking down random clues. Is it fun to read about? Sure - it’s silly stuff and it’s classic watmm.

I’d say if the 3 EP rumor is true and I have to pay $37 x 3 for 45 minutes of music, I’m def gonna be annoyed. But I don’t see them doing that at this point.

At the end of the day, it’s new music from Aphex - so fuck yes - I’m happy.

• Like 3

This lead track is okay. Quite pretty, sounds really thick n warm, but not as interesting as most tracks even on Syro, and definitely not Collapse E.P. I think it’s because I was hoping for a little twist or turn at the end (nothing mental, it could stay ambient - just something of a development.) I like chilled Aphex but I guess I wanted something a bit more surprising. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lianne said:

This lead track is okay. Quite pretty, sounds really thick n warm, but not as interesting as most tracks even on Syro, and definitely not Collapse E.P. I think it’s because I was hoping for a little twist or turn at the end (nothing mental, it could stay ambient - just something of a development.) I like chilled Aphex but I guess I wanted something a bit more surprising. 

same same; the closest facsimile for me is maybe papat4 off syro?

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1

I was feeling just OK with the proceedings but I really got clinched after 2:42 when he finishes the bassline with that big ass Dsharp instead of the Fsharp.

It rounds it out into a super depressing "boom" that kinda fills your head on headphones. It made me feel very morose, which is hilarious because it's like "fuck yeah new Aphex!!" hype but it's not really a feel-good hit of the summer or anything lol.

It will probably be a bangin EP. "Abundance Jam" is still my most played song ever on my phone's internal SD card 5 years on so I have high hopes.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jules said:

I’d say if the 3 EP rumor is true and I have to pay $37 x 3 for 45 minutes of music, I’m def gonna be annoyed. But I don’t see them doing that at this point.

Richard be like : "give me all your money"

RichardMoney.png.c11af630f0d0f6a3065f34e50d289f91.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Not as cool as T69 Collapse, but I still really like it. I get a SAW 85-92 feeling from this new one.

Edited by nature
  • Like 2

I have a hunch that some fans want a ziggomatic 18 but I don’t know if we’ll ever get that style again. I’m totally cool with mister aphex putting anything new out, I loved collapse too.. that computer produced style. 

Edited by YEK
  • Like 3

So which of the live tracks ya think correspond to the tracks off the EP? 12:40 would be Blackbox, and I am guessing 16:48 is the one right after on the EP.

34:30 would also fit in with those tracks

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 3

my only true complaint is that i really did not like the rollout but now that everything is out:

i am quite satisfied with the song but i cant lie the EP being 14 minutes long with one track being a version of the title track really bothers me but at the same time he Did release a fuck ton of music in the last decade so

bring it on!!!

• Like 2

A bit underwhelmed tbh. A lot of fuzz and marketing tricks for a 14 min single/ep. The released track is nice, but with all the fuzz, you would expect more, right? Especially with all the youtube vids with suspected unreleased material. This kind of marketing makes sense for "comebacks"  like Syro and Tomorrows Harvest, but this?

Naturally, people speculate about this being the single from an album, but I guess the Aphex-momentum is NOW. So if Warp doesn't announce more before the weekend, we're probably stuck with this release. I mean, the blimp and the Tor-link wasn't marketing for the minipops-single. 

Of course, WARPs PR-department may have some tricks in their sleeve if there really is an album on it's way, but for now, the whole thing feels kinda meagre.

• Like 4

I keep listening to it on repeat so I guess it must be "quite good"

Only thing that surprises me is the lack of transition to the B part. Not like him to 'lazily' go into it. 

P U R E V I B E S

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

I was just thinking how this AFX+Weirdcore+Cirklon direction has never clicked with me, and how that's fine. His love for that sequencer made the music sound a certain way. That hyper digital and flashy visual art style, which at this point I can't help but associate with the tracks when I listen to them, made the music sound a certain way, and it's not really my vibe.

That said, I'm so so thankful that we have a new release and the live experience I had was nice and inspiring! And the quality with which he spoiled us is so high that of course everyone now has huge expectations and the highest of standards.

• Like 4

Its new afx wich is nice but I am not mega exited. too much good music exploding in every direction currently. bandcamp feels like you are bathing in great music this summer. 

Edited by o00o
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, t yst r said:

The Google drive track is pretty ambient. Would love it even more if it was SAW II style, just the first minute on repeat for all eternity...

who set up that google drive?

I missed the old school swinging breaks but the melodies don't do much for me... they're sad, I miss aggressive and fun stuff... I like the "evil" part at 1m42s... should be more of this with some wicked 303 all over it... the synth line that pops up at 2m52s is lame af...

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

who set up that google drive?

I missed the old school swinging breaks but the melodies don't do much for me... they're sad, I miss aggressive and fun stuff... I like the "evil" part at 1m42s... should be more of this with some wicked 303 all over it... the synth line that pops up at 2m52s is lame af...

Yeah, I like the other main synth line that pops in at various places from the start, but that ending one that pops is super lame lol. Not just being picky, and he can do what he wants with his music, but it just feels like such a disappointing and deflating few bites haha.

Also @Hugh Mughnus I’m with you on that comparison! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ginerpri said:

I was just thinking how this AFX+Weirdcore+Cirklon direction has never clicked with me, and how that's fine. His love for that sequencer made the music sound a certain way. That hyper digital and flashy visual art style, which at this point I can't help but associate with the tracks when I listen to them, made the music sound a certain way, and it's not really my vibe.

That said, I'm so so thankful that we have a new release and the live experience I had was nice and inspiring! And the quality with which he spoiled us is so high that of course everyone now has huge expectations and the highest of standards.

Well Sequencers doesn't make any sound in general but I understand you.. It is maybe a better way for controlling all the Hardware synths in the same time.
I think is totally cool and his sound is spot on but the cirklon hype with Weirdcore is little bit too much indeed! Almost like they making big commercial for it!