IGNORED

Orbital - Green and Brown Album Live 2024 tour!!

I'm hoping this is the start of the promo for the reissue campaign, which was meant to start last year. Green and Brown (or LP / CD / MC and Orbital, as I still think of them) later this year, Sniv and In Sides next year, lots of b-sides and demos and outtakes, let's have it lads.

• Like 4

On 1/17/2024 at 12:16 AM, purlieu said:

I'm hoping this is the start of the promo for the reissue campaign, which was meant to start last year. Green and Brown (or LP / CD / MC and Orbital, as I still think of them) later this year, Sniv and In Sides next year, lots of b-sides and demos and outtakes, let's have it lads.

Green & Brown were both reissued on vinyl

1 hour ago, Mattthegoone said:

Green & Brown were both reissued on vinyl

Yeah, but that was quite a few years ago now, and nothing to do with the deluxe reissue campaign which they announced in 2021.

• Like 2

Hadn't actually heard about that deluxe edition, those 180g represses were readily available still fairly recently, certainly here in Ireland but Orbital would be fairly well known and regularly touring here so maybe we had the exception to the rule

Info about the reissues: https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/orbital-tell-sde-of-archival-reissue-plans/

“We’ve got a brand-new album coming next autumn after Thirtysomething. Then we’ll start a series of reissuing each album properly. I’m not sure what extras we’ll include yet, but tracks like the nine-minute Untitled, which was only ever on the cassette version of our first album, will find its way onto vinyl.”

1 hour ago, purlieu said:

We’ve got a brand-new album coming next autumn after Thirtysomething. Then we’ll start a series of reissuing each album properly. I’m not sure what extras we’ll include yet, but tracks like the nine-minute Untitled, which was only ever on the cassette version of our first album, will find its way onto vinyl.

There was a Q&A YouTube video last year where they actually said the vinyl's will just be the standard album and the cd versions will have the extras on them, so we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Yeahhh, they're a bit much. Even with a nice hardback book, I'd be expecting £45-50 for the CD and £75-80 for the vinyl. Probably gonna plump for the CD version anyway (that third disc with all the b-sides would mean buying all the 12" reissues for vinyl, probably adding another £100).

Here's the full tracklist:

CD 1
1 The Moebius
2 Speed Freak
3 Oolaa
4 Desert Storm
5 Fahrenheit 303
6 Steel Cube Idolatry
7 High Rise
8 Chime (Live)
9 Midnight (Live)
10 Belfast
11 I Think It's Disgusting

CD 2
1 Torpedo Town
2 Macro Head
3 Satan
4 L.C.1
5 Belfast / Wasted (Wasted Vocal Mix)
6 Crime
7 Fahrenheit 3D3
8 Open Mind Jam
9 The Other One
10 Satan (Rhyme and Reason Vocal Mix)
11 Midnight (Sasha Remix)

CD 3
1 Chime 12”
2 Deeper 12”
3 Omen - The Fool
4 Omen - The Tower
5 2 Deep
6 Open Mind
7 Midnight
8 Choice
9 Analogue Test Feb '90
10 Choice (Eye and I Mix)

CD 4
1 Synergy (Live):
1.1 Satan
1.2 LC1
1.3 Chime
1.4 Son of Chime

2 Mystery Gig 1991 (Live):
2.1 Choice
2.2 Fahrenheit 303
2.3 Chime / Crime
2.4 BIT
2.5 Oolaa
2.6 Speed Freak

Includes an exclusive 60-page hardback 12” x 12” book, documenting the story of the Green album by Andrew Harrison and a track by track by Phil & Paul Hartnoll

First 1000 orders include a 12” x 12” print of the album artwork signed by Phil and Paul Hartnoll

Plus 3 reprinted original 1990/91 Orbital A6 flyers

There are also 2CD and 4LP versions which include the main album and the content from CD2 (the vinyl version includes 'Macrohead' as part of the main album, as per the original). And standard remastered LP and cassette versions.

Some thoughts.

'Torpedo Town' is the title for 'Untitled', the previous cassette-only track.

This is the first time '2 Deep' will appear on CD, as the single mistakenly included the 12" version of 'Omen' in its place.

What's Missing?
There's always stuff missing from these (apart from those Tears for Fears boxsets which had every alternate radio edit imaginable making the discs totally unlistenably repetitive).

There are 3 minute, 8 minute and 12 minute versions of 'Chime' and 4 minute, 7 minute and 15 minute versions of 'Deeper', not sure which the 12" versions will be but hopefully the longest mixes (realistically, likely to be the 8 and 7 minute ones). 

7" and 12" versions of Omen - the original is a notable omission here - as well as the Wheel of Fortune and Chariot versions.
7" edits of Satan, Midnight, Choice and Belfast.

Remixes:
Chime (JZJ Bacardi Remix)
Chime (JZJ Oh Ya Mix)
Chime (Joey Beltram / Program 2 Mix)
Open Mind (Funky Alternatives Mix)
Chime (Friends Of Matthew Remix)
LC2 (Outer Limits Mix)
Oolaa (Joey Beltram Mutation)
Chime (Ray Keith Mutation)
Speed Freak (Moby Mutation)
Oolaa (Meat Beat Manifesto Mutation)
Steel Cube Idolatry (Dave Angel & Dave Dorrell Mutation)

On the whole that's not a bad selection - the Mutations remixes are actually quite good, but I'm glad there was a particular focus on original material where possible. The edits are pretty uninteresting. So it's just the original 'Omen' that feels like an odd omission. 

In terms of actual unreleased material, there's only two tracks - a jam on 'Open Mind', and 'The Other One' - which is a shame, they must have some other stuff lying around. Even that D.S. Building Contractors track of Paul's would have been nice. I'm sure the live disc will be excellent, but with what looks like one exclusive between-track jam there, it means in terms of actual new material, this box is offering three new tracks - only one seemingly finished - for £70, which is... well, steep probably doesn't come close.

Edited by purlieu
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, purlieu said:

What's Missing?

The track called "One Day" they played live a couple of years ago 

59 minutes ago, purlieu said:

I'd be expecting £45-50 for the CD and £75-80 for the vinyl

Absolutely 

1 hour ago, purlieu said:

Probably gonna plump for the CD version

Me too

Sexy slip mat. Maybe will be sold separately?  Could do without any “vocal versions” in lieu of a couple of the other “missing” tracks… 

13 minutes ago, silentvision said:

Who is Ecustacu Linh?

Linked fb site from their store: https://www.facebook.com/orbital/

lol, nice work to their marketing team for not even checking the FB link.

My guess for the Brown album deluxe - either later this year or this time next year:

CD2:
Halcyon
The Naked and the Dead
Sunday
The Naked and the Dub
Impact USA
Semi-Detached
Lush Euro Tunnel Disaster / Walk About (Peel Session)

CD3:
Kinetic
Semi-Detached / Attached (Peel Session)
Lush 3 Underworld Remix
Lush 3 Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia Remix
Lush 3 C J Bolland Remix
A couple of alternate takes / jams
One or two unreleased tracaks

CD4:
Dunno, some live stuff?