IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

42 minutes ago, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

Were you at the Helsinki onesix show? Was it packed?

Yes, and yes, but it wasn't packed like herrings, there was room to move around, although the place was basically pitch black with only regulation emergency exit lights visible.

One of the gig reviews on the barbican / songkick is pure gold

It was the worst concert of more than hundred I have been to.

The duo started out anonymously half an hours later they were supposed to. Rob Hall had to come out and play twice, I guess, because Autechre were late. While Autechre were performing, it was completely dark in the hall. At first, I thought it was sort of a sound-check or an intro. However, I realized soon that this is the way it should be. What they played was just a bunch of random sounds, with no rhythm and no melodies whatsoever. It felt as if there was a baby sitting somewhere playing with a newly discovered musical gear by pushing buttons and turning knobs without any understanding of what s(he) is doing. It went like that for nearly 45 minutes (even less that each of the 'guest' musicians played). Autechre didn't even bother to say 'hi' or 'bye', let alone 'thank you' to the audience.

I feel I was laughed by the duo, the concert agency and the venue, who did not indicate that the performance is going to be done in complete darkness and very short.

Very disappointed. I wish I stayed at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

What they played was just a bunch of random sounds, with no rhythm and no melodies whatsoever. It felt as if there was a baby sitting somewhere playing with a newly discovered musical gear by pushing buttons and turning knobs without any understanding of what s(he) is doing.

What-He-Said-The-Hobbit.gif

8 minutes ago, cern said:

I understand their approach of the "focus on the music" but hell you can not even get a beer in a dark area like that.

Perhaps their approach of having people focus on the music is to prevent them getting a beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Big Brain 1

5 minutes ago, t yst r said:

Perhaps their approach of having people focus on the music is to prevent them getting a beer.

People like to rest their eyes on something, I think that's even makes you more focused on the music if you do . 
They are maybe shy but what do they expect? Its not like people gonna stare at the roof lol 

• Burger 1

43 minutes ago, cern said:

I understand their approach of the "focus on the music" but hell you can not even get a beer in a dark area like that.

I find The Barbican is pretty chilled with searching, I guess because it’s not a venue associated with rowdiness. I always put three of those 180mm bottles of red wine in my pocket, sit back and chill. Beer at gigs always seems to make me piss three times more often than usual! But yeah a cold beer is nice when you know your over half way through. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oscillik said:

Last time I saw em was BLOC 2010

That was a weird venue, loads of deadly steps and small bar areas iirc.  Re-entry queue was massive after Flying Lotus so just stayed in there all day.  Luke Vibert was on as well? Good times.  Actually don't remember much about the actual set, other than it being really busy and mostly dark (but shit loads of Emergency Exit lights....)

Also..., presumably in the Barbican the sound quality is pretty great, so you don't have to be front and centre since the gig is in darkness anyway.... unless all the Zoviet France fans are mad keen to be up there. 

image.png.7f679df32d901ed84400c2d96bfaab29.png

Snagged a pair of second row seats. Tickets are still very much available, but I'm still glad I got in around the initial rush and got a decent seating.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

When I went to see them last time at The Barbican I got one of those seats in a box up on the side looking down (there’s probably a specific word for them, which escapes me at this moment in time) that was cool. Looking down on the crowd and stage was great perspective. Might do that again. Your not ultra high up in the sky so not lost in the clouds. Just wish it was the week before because I’m off work, Saturday start work at 5am (groans)

Thinking about it I’m sure I procured this ticket, when there was a limited release of tickets after it sold out. There was 3 of us in a 3 person box, and the other two folks looked like members of staff. Anyway I’m waffling ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Picked up 4 tickets, that massive queue made me worry but went from 124 to 0 in about 5mins.

Looking forwards to Zoviet France as well. Definite step up from the usual Russell Haswell support slot.