IGNORED

Orbital - Green and Brown Album Live 2024 tour!!

I saw them on the opening night in Exeter. Loved the album playthroughs, how green felt clinical and acidic, whilst brown more chaotic yet flowing. I wanted one of the blue logo t-shirts but they sold out when I went back. 

The encore totally lost me. They also ramped up the soundsystem so much for the encore that Dirty Rat sounded more awful than normal. So I left - and or course heard satan as I left the venue to drive home. My mate stayed and recorded it though. 

My watch said I danced 16km 😂 

Did they play exactly the same pre-recorded set as pirtek described with glasses on with lights on either side (so that they can pretend to twiddle a few knobs with precision)?

Fairly sure I saw them play exactly the same set 3 times back in the day/s, different than the current one but had Belinda Carlisle x Opus iii in the mix oooh baby do you know how to play live properly, no and the crowd went wild

Not trying to rain on Spice Girls or Sleaford Mods parade but why are they playing those tracks? Theyre good at doing that themselves, they werent even forming excrement in anyone's bowels in 93, doest belong on this tour, did they decide that lunacy together? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattthegoone said:

why are they playing those tracks?

God knows!! 😩

Fantastic night except for the encore which made no sense at all! I'd have preferred for them to have added Omen, Choice, Open Mind and Sunday and not had a an encore at all!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattthegoone said:

Did they play exactly the same pre-recorded set as pirtek described with glasses on with lights on either side (so that they can pretend to twiddle a few knobs with precision)?

Yeah I think so, but *maybe they were jamming over the top of a backing trip with 303 or samples? I dunno, maybe not even that.  For the encore they did "we're pulling names out of a hat, we have no idea what we are going to play" yet the visuals for Mr. Sleaford Mod were ready and all in-sync as soon as they started playing.

I stood next to the sound booth for the brown album playback, the EQ guy looked thoroughly bored throughout and was sat playing on his phone. 

Honestly I don't care if its a top of the pops style karaoke jam a long, I enjoyed it and the midweek crowd were well up for it (many looking totally spangled at the intermission queuing for beers and water)

7 hours ago, Mattthegoone said:

I don't think they ever "mime" when they play live. 

• Like 1

Yeah, there are a lot of things you can throw at them, but not playing live seems an unlikely one. I just think as time goes on their setup gets so good that they're no longer flying by the skin of their teeth and can do the same thing each night without much variation. It's like when Underworld toured Dubnobasswithmyheadman and it sounded like the studio version for the most part, Rick had the entire thing so accurately put together in Ableton that it was immaculate. But it also kind of loses the magic when they do that. I remember recording a Middle of Nowhere era set off the radio and it had Spare Parts Express going into the second half of Impact which then went into the first half which totally blew my mind at the time. When you're not restricted to verse/chorus structures, mess around with your tracks live and make them into something new each time.

• Like 1

I thought it was reasonably well known even since the early 90s that they did in fact 'do it live'. Given Paul's knowledge of gear and how to use it, I'd say it's pretty unlikely it's prerecorded. Their setup has obviously changed over the years, but why resort to 'miming' and other antics if you already know how to do it 'properly'? Rehearsed and pre setup  so it fits the visuals is more likely. They know all their tracks by heart so they probably have a basic structure rehearsed then jam over the top of that.

Halfway through Lush 3, Impact's breaks came blaring in. It was fucking amazing!!

• Like 1

Jesus that's was good fun, in bits today after it, it was a very similar set, green brown spicy and Satan they played one or two that I couldn't remember, mid-album, maybe foreign import edition tracks, they had the place rocking

• Like 2

Bleep are charging 167.49 euro for that Orbital 4lp, what sort of hellscape are we living in?

That is mental, trying to grasp who would be so foolish as to buy that, should cost half that really, 100 at a push because you get a book and a slipmat

For anyone outside the UK that already has you over the threshold where you get taxed twice so you'll be charged tax by your own countries customs on top of that, end up paying close to 200e for a new repress album with a few rarities (ie tracks that weren't deemed good enough back then)

Theres a fair bit of fannying about going on in recordland 

• Facepalm 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Mattthegoone said:

Bleep are charging 167.49 euro for that Orbital 4lp, what sort of hellscape are we living in?

Theres a fair bit of fannying about going on in recordland 

Yep. It's absolutely crazy!!

Edited by Pirtek

Oh there are a lot of people who'd be willing to buy it at that price. Anyone of a certain age who's been comfortably in decent paying work for long enough. I see a lot of people who are comfortably well off who seem totally unaware that not everyone can afford this shit. There was a thread here where I mentioned that with shipping and taxes, the Namlook reissues come to around £65 each, which is ludicrous, and somebody replied saying they were worth the money because they come with stickers and stamps and things, seemingly unaware that for many of us, no album is worth that much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, purlieu said:

no album is worth that much.

Back in the day I was close to spending 3 digits on Teachings From The Electronic Brain on VHS ... So glad I didn't and got sniped in the final few minutes - Wonder what it would've actually been, a press tape/review copy maybe ?

Oh I remember that, I was watching it on eBay all week and then it ended up going for £250. I mean, that kind of thing, an exceptionally rare promo of something that still hasn't been officially released more than 20 years later, there's an argument for spending silly money if you're passionate about the band. But £65 for a normal album is a different matter entirely. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hayhook said:

When we gettin more LEDs? 

I reckon the last one will be next month. Then a digital only at some point.