IGNORED

Dostrotime [2024]

Consul

9 minutes ago, thumbass said:

Regardless of the insanely terrible album cover

One of my fav album covers tbh. In certain states of mind the hands come to life and play the instruments right in front of ya lol.

(Surely someone else here has seen what I’m talking about?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

I'm afraid I'm also in the terrible album cover camp 😄

It doesn't bother me. But I understand why you don't like it.

• Farnsworth 1

If discussing his mixing choices, DYKS (the tune) is the most refined of that ultra dynamic take, with evolving loudness throughout and super wide dynamic range to reinforce the narrative arc... that volume crescendo with each and every new deflagration is nuts, and masterfully done. Ultravisitor shares some of these qualities, along with some of his best trademark SH-101ish lead melodies. Too many fillers in that record though, and I'd have put Tundra 4, Venus no 17, Squarewindow instead in the LP... Damn, I remember the almost religious aura his 2005 Breezeblock set had, I remember the goosebumps while discovering it during its broadcast, Mary Ann Hobbs speechless between tunes, f*ck I miss that.

Now his stuff all sounds clipped to oblivion, and while TJ certainly knows his craft, I like that esthetic much less. I bet it sounds massive live though, no doubt.

Go Plastic is pure electronic jazz without being jazzy, for a while I was convinced Feed Me Weird Things was a better record as a whole, but now GP steals the show IMO, it's simply perfect : the tunes are immense, the overall flow is flawless, and it's not too long either, so you can listen to the whole thing in a go easily.

But eh I'm bitter I guess, the Warp20 tunes (like that infamous tune Cylob once played), long mistaken to be RDJ's (remember the 2000 something Rephlex Disco Assault in Romo videos when Aphex played some ?), have obsessed me for nearly two decades and I still can't accept I can't purchase a copy of the bunch (I'd play it repeatedly, endlessly hehe). 

I don't want him to be stuck in the past, I'm just sad he went in another direction that I hoped for.

And now I'll leave the thread, glad you guys enjoy the tune, and crossing fingers the whole record will be equally as enjoyable to you all.

Edited by Nil
  • Like 10

12 minutes ago, Nil said:

If discussing his mixing choices, DYKS (the tune) is the most refined of that ultra dynamic take, with evolving loudness throughout and super wide dynamic range to reinforce the narrative arc... that volume crescendo with each and every new deflagration is nuts, and masterfully done. Ultravisitor shares some of these qualities, along with some of his best trademark SH-101ish lead melodies. Too many fillers in that record though, and I'd have put Tundra 4, Venus no 17, Squarewindow instead in the LP... Damn, I remember the almost religious aura his 2005 Breezeblock set had, I remember the goosebumps while discovering it during its broadcast, Mary Ann Hobbs speechless between tunes, f*ck I miss that.

Now his stuff all sounds clipped to oblivion, and while TJ certainly knows his craft, I like that esthetic much less. I bet it sounds massive live though, no doubt.

Go Plastic is pure electronic jazz without being jazzy, for a while I was convinced Feed Me Weird Things was a better record as a whole, but now GP steals the show IMO, it's simply perfect : the tunes are immense, the overall flow is flawless, and it's not too long either, so you can listen to the whole thing in a go easily.

But eh I'm bitter I guess, the Warp20 tunes (like that infamous tune Cylob once played), long mistaken to be RDJ's (remember the 2000 something Rephlex Disco Assault in Romo videos when Aphex played some ?), have obsessed me for nearly two decades and I still can't accept I can't purchase a copy of the bunch (I'd play it repeatedly, endlessly hehe). 

I don't want him to be stuck in the past, I'm just sad he went in another direction that I hoped for.

And now I'll leave the thread, glad you guys enjoy the tune, and crossing fingers the whole record will be equally as enjoyable to you all.

I agree with a lot of that. If not all of it. But I do like the new tune 🙂

• Like 6

It's funny. My wife will sit with me all day long listening to Aphex Twin, but after a few Squarepusher tracks, she's had enough. Oh well, up to the attic/man cave!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Pirtek said:

It's funny. My wife will sit with me all day long listening to Aphex Twin, but after a few Squarepusher tracks, she's had enough. Oh well, up to the attic/man cave!

the attic: 

image.thumb.jpeg.36682105f320a0c7ebe4897a066b96ed.jpeg

lol

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Pirtek said:

back in the day my GF of that era (i work in eras) and i would lay on the floor w/our heads at the speakers and turn up volume to reasonable level. smoke a joint and listen to squarepusher. once in a while one of us would start laughing because it was so good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The cancellation of all live commitments meant the prospect of a year's worth of itineraries, airport security, hotels and no sleep was erased, and for some time I experienced a simple happiness not familiar in my adulthood. In a way it reminded me of being a child, where one knows big and awful stuff happens on the horizon but the current moment is a blissful sanctuary. Without customary interruptions, time elapsed differently: Dostrotime 

So wtf is dostro?

There's the albums -  which all have their gems.. even Shoba!

Then theres his live sets - expecially when he brings out the classics in betweeen the newer mayhem. The man does not hold back and while he mostly plays tracks live straightup .. when he does tweak them, slow stuff down, mess with the EQ etc, slapps a bass riff over them.... he does sit so well and deftly and I really love it when he gets the crowd going with his passionate shout-outs

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 5:43 AM, Nil said:

Go Plastic still is his masterpiece IMO, by far his best album. DYKS is one of the most insanely mind-blowing popsong ever, along with Windowlicker. Ultravisitor-era has some of his finest work - many tunes of the accompanying EPs should have been on the LP (the opener, Iambic 9 poetry, Menelec IIRC and Tetra Sync 13 are such bangers though), and it's a pity the Warp20 tracks are unreleased to this day.

For me, it's been a downhill releases after releases to me, I desperately miss the subtlety of his work before Hello Everything : even for the most radical tunes had tons of finesse to them. I'm all hopeful whenever there's a new one announced, and keep on being disappointed. Sadly (for me) that new one isn't to my liking either.

Yeah the whole 2001-Trio: Go Plastic - Drukqs - Confield is the tits! 

Wish also he could at least given us the Warp20 tracks before moving on but I wonder if they ever gonna see the daylight? 

• Like 2

Is Mr Jenkinson aware that his fans would dearly love those archive tracks?? Can someone tell him? Maybe he's saving them for a Warp anniversary release or something. Just too good to be gathering dust.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, cern said:

Yeah the whole 2001-Trio: Go Plastic - Drukqs - Confield is the tits! 

Wish also he could at least given us the Warp20 tracks before moving on but I wonder if they ever gonna see the daylight? 

Forgive my heresy, I'm more into what æ has done since (and including) Oversteps and I gel 10101% with everything they've done since then. Even though in hindsight I haven't listened that much to Sign and Plus, I'm delighted by everything they've released this past decade or so. But yeah, I should definitely revisit Confield / LP5 era too.

To go back to >[], I've always had a soft spot for Selection 16 too. Playing Tomorrow World as I type.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cern said:

he could at least given us the Warp20 tracks before moving on

yeah well , we already have them somehow (tough not yet in lossless format afaik),

and I think they're more designed to be presented as a whole mix rather than separate, imo.

...........      EDIT ........... ooops sorry I mixed up with warp 30th / NTS   :facepalm:

Edited by neurone

16 minutes ago, neurone said:

yeah well , we already have them somehow (tough not yet in lossless format afaik),

and I think they're more designed to be presented as a whole mix rather than separate, imo.

please sir point me in the direction of the warp20 tracks that we have, if you mean anything besides the live recording? (minus the cylob mix track)

this is still so good omg

Edited by chronical
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weren't they supposed to form a Rephlex LP, Methyl Orange if memory serves me well, that even got to be mastered / pressed to a few test copies ? Basically same story as the Caustic Window LP resurrected by WATMM ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nil said:

Weren't they supposed to form a Rephlex LP, Methyl Orange if memory serves me well, that even got to be mastered / pressed to a few test copies ? Basically same story as the Caustic Window LP resurrected by WATMM ?

yes

• Thanks 1

s16 gets  generally sub-favourable rep.. but i think its a super solid output... really nails a lot of amazing melodies/percussion and mood here. A selection indeed.  Waiting for 1-15!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chronical said:

please sir point me in the direction of the warp20 tracks that we have,

ooh right , my bad,  I had the warp 30th / NTS mix in mind,  while you're talking about warp 20'    -  sorry

Edited by neurone

we're lucky af to have been on earth while all this top tier music is happening. these decades of music like no other. 

• Like 3
  • Big Brain 1

obviously feed me weird things -> go plastic is the Official Good Squarepusher Era(tm). 

i understand people like to come online and post random stuff but the notion that any post-GP work can touch the OGSE(tm) is ofc wrong

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

obviously feed me weird things -> go plastic is the Official Good Squarepusher Era(tm). 

i understand people like to come online and post random stuff but the notion that any post-GP work can touch the OGSE(tm) is ofc wrong

i like selection 16, venus #17 A LOT

though, go plastic is like a perfect rare diamond that got to earth via a meteor.. or something

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1