IGNORED

Dostrotime [2024]

Consul

3 minutes ago, xyrofen said:

@ignatius You think the fucker actually makes it to Portland the next time he tours (fucking COVID, man).

Me and Mrs Stephen had our fucking tickets for that show, an airbnb, and everything! Was even trying to link up with ignatius and some other portlanders ugh. Worst missed show of our life!

• Sad 4

16 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Me and Mrs Stephen had our fucking tickets for that show, an airbnb, and everything! Was even trying to link up with ignatius and some other portlanders ugh. Worst missed show of our life!

Maybe another time.

I had gone as far as getting tickets my SO and I and picking out my outfit.

• Like 1

i remember seeing that the gig here for be up a hello was postponed when the pandemic started.. i had hopes still then.. it was cancelled. 

i hope again for opportunity to buy a ticket to hear all this in a big room w/a bunch of other people and feel like i'm in the right place. 

29 minutes ago, xyrofen said:

@ignatius You think the fucker actually makes it to Portland the next time he tours (fucking COVID, man).

i hope so. he's been here before and i missed it. sigh. so, i was so ready for the BUAH gig. would've been ace. if he comes back i'll hitting refresh until the tix go on sale. 

@Hugh Mughnus

yeah.. wtf. fuck the pandemic for all the reasons.  BUAH gig would've been mental. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

what happened, he just cancelled?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, usagi said:

what happened, he just cancelled?

Covid 😂 all the flights were shut down at that point. Tbh it was half Covid and half the civil unrest and riots that followed….We had a trip to Iceland booked that year too and none of the airlines were flying. 

2 hours ago, xyrofen said:

Yes, Tom plz. We need '20 redemption. As everyone made good on the "rescheduled" appearances across '21, '22 and '23 and there was no Tom, my heart sank.

I say this because, honestly, if you do enough electronic shows, they can become boring in a way but not Squarepusher. Every time I've seen him, it was something new and explosive. 

Edited by xxx
  • Like 2

Damn love that spooky synth weaving in behind the acid line.
Definitely feeling a bit dirtier and looser than the previous album. Nice crunchy textures.
He's still got it, baby.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, xxx said:

Yes, Tom plz. We need '20 redemption. As everyone made good on the "rescheduled" appearances across '21, '22 and '23 and there was no Tom, my heart sank.

I say this because, honestly, if you do enough electronic shows, they can become boring in a way but not Squarepusher. Every time I've seen him, it was something new and explosive. 

damn I didn't know he just upped and cancelled in NA

I had tickets for the 2019 show in London and it eventually happened in October of 2021

And yeah, despite him being in his 'eh, it's ok I guess' album era since 2006, he always fucking slays live

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

i remember seeing that the gig here for be up a hello was postponed when the pandemic started.. i had hopes still then.. it was cancelled. 

i hope again for opportunity to buy a ticket to hear all this in a big room w/a bunch of other people and feel like i'm in the right place. 

i hope so. he's been here before and i missed it. sigh. so, i was so ready for the BUAH gig. would've been ace. if he comes back i'll hitting refresh until the tix go on sale. 

@Hugh Mughnus

yeah.. wtf. fuck the pandemic for all the reasons.  BUAH gig would've been mental. 

3 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Covid 😂 all the flights were shut down at that point. Tbh it was half Covid and half the civil unrest and riots that followed….We had a trip to Iceland booked that year too and none of the airlines were flying. 

Some day, dudes.

23 minutes ago, Freak of the week said:

yes

also

wendorlan = new roland

Are bucket hats like a normal thing to wear in the UK, or is this the Jenkinson special (Andy can rock a mean bucket hat too)?

• Like 1

Yeh even his damogen live sets were incredible and im not into that album - im looking at you Day For Night - tore it up!

But fuck me his vic acid set in Primaversa 2022 was unreal.. relentless, pounding acid/jungle assault. As far as I can see he LOVES his USA outings - coachella vodka set, Boston "You posess the knowldedge venus17 set".. so crrossing my fingers for a US tour for you guys

Edited by phudoshin

6 minutes ago, xyrofen said:

Some day, dudes.

Are bucket hats like a normal thing to wear in the UK, or is this the Jenkinson special (Andy can rock a mean bucket hat too)?

Someone is not part of the IDM fashion newsletter.... Ponytails and flip flops are out, bucket hats are IN.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Big Brain 1

25 minutes ago, Consul said:

Screenshot2024-01-23at4_31_11AM.thumb.png.4e3b72e9c7f0b14e685fc22ab84f8e50.png

pops up during that sample bit ~1+ min in which seems to be what the sample is saying....sample source spotters?

Screenshot2024-01-23at4_36_09AM.thumb.png.fbbcd01389372774296b733bc1840913.png

~4:25 HUMANOID MUST NOT AGREE

then at ~5:45 SUNG BY DAVID BOWIE ... TALISMAN RED SAID IT WAS ... THE BREAK INTO THE FUTURE

???

Edited by auxien

Japan bonus track is a version of Heliobat called Tokyo Nightfall! https://www.beatink.com/products/detail.php?product_id=13872

Also, here's the description given by Bleep:

Spoiler

Whether composing Music For Robots with 78 fingers, performing with Shobaleader One, or exacting the drum and bass carnage his three decade career is prized for, Tom Jenkinson presents exhilarating experiments in a stoic yet playful manner. But as with any album bearing the “Made In Lockdown” tag, it's hard not to attribute emotionalty to the latest Squarepusher offering, Dostrotime. Free from the schedule of his cancelled Be Up A Hello tour and the squall of human activity, Jenkinson spent the following 2020 in the studio brewing up some of his most intense material yet.

As the electronic scene trends towards the ever more layered and visceral, Dostrotime switches between maximalist overload and considered minimalism. Timestretched and shrunk acid breaks reflect an amorphous temporal experience, Bookmarked by explorative ‘Arkteon’ guitar passages, the album paints an ultra elastic picture: solemnly serene harmonic touchstones give way to industrial noise surges, bulldozing and buzzsawing melodic whirls into smithereens.

That rising and falling action plays out through an expertly sequenced tracklist: ‘Enbounce’ reveals itself to be a slowburning rager, with icily paced organs and ticks accelerating endlessly towards gutted trance growls, thrusted into the haywire electricity of ‘Wendorlan’ with reverb-thrown ruckus. Corrugated junglism and moody techno for a deserted Detroit flow down to the aqueous ‘Arkteon 2’, moving from placid pastoral to fraught uncertainty with each chord change, before catapulting up to the epic breakbeat balladry of ‘Holorform’ where cataclysmic rhythms occupy irradiated space. Gated incisions and caustic synths span the steely and foreboding ‘Akkranen’, while ‘Heliobat’ is the calm after the storm, skipping slackened strums and spare drums along the water.

Thirty years in, Squarepusher unleashes one of his most cinematic, dextrous, and gargantuan records to date.

• Like 1

From the man himself via warp...here here Tom!

For me, the lockdown of 2020 will always stand out as a remarkable time partly for the viscerality of its terrors, but also because of its novel, eerie, sublime silence. It afforded me (and no doubt other fortunate loners) a respite from the incessant distractions that can get in the way of important things such as doing nothing – or recording music. The cancellation of all live commitments meant the prospect of a year's worth of itineraries, airport security, hotels and no sleep was erased, and for some time I experienced a simple happiness not familiar in my adulthood. In a way it reminded me of being a child, where one knows big and awful stuff happens on the horizon but the current moment is a blissful sanctuary. Without customary interruptions, time elapsed differently: Dostrotime. I recorded extensively during that unusual period and went on to use some of that material as the basis for the rescheduled live shows of '21 &' 22. These events were remarkable for their tangible atmosphere of jubilation that lockdown was over and this album is indebted to the exhilaration of those shows. It is an attempt to capture the peculiarity of music catalysed by lockdown being part of the celebration of lockdown's demise.

Tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PSA - Was pre-ordering just now and scrolling through the Squarepusher site. Apparently you can get a copy of Hello Everything on vinyl for...$15?! It says 1xLP though, so maybe its just a mislabeled CD or something. No clue. I already have a copy or I'd take the chance to find out.