IGNORED

Dostrotime [2024]

Consul

Even though I've largely lost interest in breakcore (preferring jungle and dnb quite a lot more these days), Wendorlan has me quite excited

• Like 5

1 hour ago, splesh said:

Even though I've largely lost interest in breakcore (preferring jungle and dnb quite a lot more these days), Wendorlan has me quite excited

Me too!

And yeah, I don't listen to half as much breakcore as I used to. More drum and bass, but still listen to Squarepusher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YEK said:

Maybe Tom has tinnitus, that’s why some of his newer stuff sounds off???

i think he's gone back to classic form when it comes to mixing/mastering. there's a couple releases where the mixing/mastering is really aggressive and that tends to make things more brittle in my experience. i'm maybe overly sensitive to mids and upper mid frequencies so that's a thing i notice right away.. but i'm sure if i listened to those releases now they'd probably sound different. 

techniques for mastering etc have changed somewhat in the last 5-10 years with lot's of mastering people using clippers in combination with other things to increase volume. for a while some mastering engineers were doing this by over driving the inputs of AD converters.. some converters have really nice analog front end and works well to do that. but software caught up w/the idea and you can do that in the box pretty easily.  using it for some elements in mixes is really helpful too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

i think he's gone back to classic form when it comes to mixing/mastering. there's a couple releases where the mixing/mastering is really aggressive and that tends to make things more brittle in my experience. i'm maybe overly sensitive to mids and upper mid frequencies so that's a thing i notice right away.. but i'm sure if i listened to those releases now they'd probably sound different. 

techniques for mastering etc have changed somewhat in the last 5-10 years with lot's of mastering people using clippers in combination with other things to increase volume. for a while some mastering engineers were doing this by over driving the inputs of AD converters.. some converters have really nice analog front end and works well to do that. but software caught up w/the idea and you can do that in the box pretty easily.  using it for some elements in mixes is really helpful too. 

Yeah, not all the newer tracks but like Ufab and Damogen

12 minutes ago, YEK said:

Yeah, not all the newer tracks but like Ufab and Damogen

yeah.. those two are kinda brittle to me. but i think it's on purpose. be up a hello sounds great to me. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, splesh said:

There's a lot of really fun hyper-PS1-era-nostalgia breakcore coming out lately (Tokyopill, Golemm, bye2, Aomori, others) that I've been loving.

27 minutes ago, ignatius said:

yeah.. those two are kinda brittle to me. but i think it's on purpose. be up a hello sounds great to me. 

Be up a hello sounds like a return to form. Imo best thing since ultravisitor or hello everything. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YEK said:

Be up a hello sounds like a return to form. Imo best thing since ultravisitor or hello everything. 

yeah.. and overall the mixing/mastering is much more my vibe. 

• Like 2

Glad to see this consensus! After a few albums where the mixing and mastering seemed really weird and thin to me (and hard to listen to), I also found Be Up A Hello a really nice surprise. Great mix and punch.

• Like 1

Wrap ypour faces around one of the first (only?) Venus17 outings - partial set - one of his best

"You possess the knowledge" - Tom Jenkinson

Edited by phudoshin

Deliberate loudness is something you favor from the get-go, so pretty sure his loudest, most agressive sounding LPs were consciously written, arranged, produced and mixed with that clear aim in mind. Can't get such loudness nor agression from the mastering alone (or else, without massively altering the mixdowns).

1 hour ago, BlockUser said:

I love this! Great news, and great track. I always get back into Squarepusher in January for some reason.

Spring for me, Hard Normal Daddy is so perfect for April when the weather is slightly improving and nature coming back to life.

• Like 4

Interesting. It always carries over into spring for me as well but I find that those crisp reverbs on stuff like Big Loada, Hard Normal Daddy or Ufabulum really fit the glistening sunlight in the January cold, and the incredible clarity of the light after months of fog and rain. I'm in Denmark though, where the sun can just disappear for weeks, so January is our spring 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

Spring for me, Hard Normal Daddy is so perfect for April when the weather is slightly improving and nature coming back to life.

Mate, I've bought a few albums around this time. So good!!