IGNORED

I think the computers just won.

1 hour ago, auxien said:

hopefully all this will make people start to really question why they listen to what what they listen to, what it means to them, if it connects them with the artist’s experience/story in some way… 

Not an exact parallel, but did McDonald's make people stop and question why they like the foods they like and what food means to them?  No, they just shove it down their gullet.

Like someone above said, music to most people is something that's ancillary, disposable, on in the background while they work/jog/exercise, etc.

I think there are enough people out there who value music enough to create a market for human-made music, as long as it can still offer a superior experience.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, chronical said:

I already can't stomach most of the music in the charts, there's not really much creative difference listening to these AI songs and actual overproduced garbage. Just the image of a non-music-snob listening to AI music not realizing it at all is kinda weird and probably already happening

^^^ my thoughts in a nutshell

It sounds like a mishmash of material that's already out there. But if this catches on (meaning: people are making money with this), lawsuits will follow. That Motown tune sounds like Stevie Wonder. I'm no lawyer, but to me this is a new kind of sampling. Generative sampling, if you will. If it is allowed, there's going to be plenty of push to make it illegal.

• Like 2

A question about this program and AI in general: if someone gave the same commands to it would it spit out the same music?

13 minutes ago, YEK said:

A question about this program and AI in general: if someone gave the same commands to it would it spit out the same music?

No.

11 hours ago, dcom said:

As long as the models are trained with what exists, they won't make anything resembling creativity. Yes, you can add all kinds of randomness, overlap and whatnot to get X in the style of Y, but it will still be a computed pastiche by a machine without introspection. The reason these tracks sound so bland is that there are no artists, no producers, no musicians, no audience, no feedback of any kind, just regression towards the lowest common denominator. Most (popular) music is bland by design, appealing to the aforementioned lowest common denominator  - formulaic, harmless, innocuous, inoffensive - geared to make people think that million flies can't be wrong. Now that the LLMs are already cannibalizing their own creations, the regression is just getting worse.

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." -- Pablo Picasso.

I always circle back around this topic with one simple idea, imagine if we fill museums only with AI art from now on. There will never be another era of art, it will until the end of time–in the current form of machine learning– be a machine circlejerk that eventually reinterprets its own art because no more new things are put into museums, at which point its creativity will regress even further. Complete shitshow this and it's already happening in a smaller fashion with people hyping up AI art and not being familiar with the subject matter it was trained on

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

90% of today's popular music in a nutshell

90% of any era's popular music in a nutshell. We only remember the most popular

7 hours ago, Blir said:

Some great stuff on here. Big fan of Hobos in the Sauna

https://www.udio.com/songs/665xZXJmiQB49chhpzKbaY

I fed it some Autechre style instructions. It is scary how good this is.

https://www.udio.com/songs/a8PjPAJutRxa14u53HjDiw

Hobos in the Sauna, the lyrics are all over the place timing wise. Moderately funny I guess?

That was some pretty generic techno in the second example - imo (sorry!)

On 4/10/2024 at 1:28 PM, taphead said:

It gave me an error message when I tried to submit my lyrics about wanting to get murdered so that you don't die alone. Though it does show that it's trying to generate something. But I think if it can't do this then that's a good sign that the computers will not win, because people will need to be able to sing about being murdered

Update on this: the system was just overloaded and it did eventually accept this (yay!) but it's only doing 30 seconds at a time right now I guess, so it crammed all the lyrics together and skipped some, so it seems like that kind of thing will have to wait

I did actually get it to restrict my ability to run prompts after I asked it for "dolphinpilled flipmaxxers leave the horsecels seething", which is fair. I think that's a fair restriction on free speech. I've been trying to convince it to not make music, since anyone can get this thing to spit out some music. But it takes some negotiating to make it not make music, you can get some pretty fun stuff if you approach it that way https://www.udio.com/songs/mA5oP7B23xMSjZc9vVNruR

Edit: didn't want to spam in here but I think this is my best attempt at getting it to not make music but it's still pretty musical https://www.udio.com/songs/p9FcKQe9GMxzuXxzbHuxLY

Edited by taphead
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

Like when I listen to a song like this one below in headphones, I feel pretty confident that it might not even be possible for a machine to recreate, or even come close really, such music on its own.

so the thing is, and i'm honestly not trying to be argumentative or anything, but Udio or whatever other program definitely could re'create' a track with that oddness & uniqueness, easily...if it's fed enough seed material. that's literally all that matters here...take enough seed data, make sure the program is good at finding the connecting aspects of a sound, style, etc., and is able to recreate that sound relatively accurately.

10 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

Sure you can get some kind of cheap muzak imitation of this easy, but imo it will always pale in comparison to the thing itself, the human made music.

i guarantee the general public would choose most any of these Udio tracks posted and claim they're more 'human' than that Aphex track tho.

and the thing is, soon enough we won'tbe able to know the difference....we're already there, depending on how we want to define these things...SoundCloud is certainly already starting to get bits of Udio/Suno/whatever i'm quite sure, and Spotify has been battling a deluge of partly/entirely 'fake' artists, of which certainly some are using ML/AI/some amount of software exploitation for the sake of profit.

soon enough some jackass 'musician' who was shilling NFTs a couple years ago is going to release their 'AI-assisted' album like it's some big revolutionary/controversial thing. it'll be another Jacques Greene or someone like The Weeknd/OPN or someshit.

10 hours ago, EdamAnchorman said:

Not an exact parallel, but did McDonald's make people stop and question why they like the foods they like and what food means to them?  No, they just shove it down their gullet.

Like someone above said, music to most people is something that's ancillary, disposable, on in the background while they work/jog/exercise, etc.

I think there are enough people out there who value music enough to create a market for human-made music, as long as it can still offer a superior experience.

partly right, partly not i think. McDonald's/fast food has caused some amount of stopping and questioning of the nutrition, care, connection, etc. regarding our interaction with food. obv McDonald's still succeeded...and most don't have that reaction, but that reaction is part of the conversation.

but yeah, lots use music exactly like you're saying....just as background. and that's okay, i think? that's gotta be the target market (see previous Spotify mention)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, auxien said:

hopefully all this will make people start to really question why they listen to what what they listen to, what it means to them, if it connects them with the artist’s experience/story in some way…

Screenshot_20240412-073705.thumb.jpg.2b6e46fe867604012e019b502a134707.jpg

• Like 2

Omg the time this will save. We won't have to bother making music anymore. Now we finally have time to do extra corpo desk work, be more productive....

Wait

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Brain 1